Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 12:14 PM

957 posts, read 3,358,962 times

Advertisements

aries,

I think only a small percentage of Centennial HS is zoned for Johns Creek and the City of Johns Creek web site seems to claim that they only have 3 high schools. Perhaps it is because Centennial is in Roswell with a small % of JC students, while Northview, Chattahoochee, and JCHS has a Johns Creek address with 100% representation of JC students .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2012, 12:24 PM

230 posts, read 493,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpanda View Post

I am not claiming that i see homes in Johns Creek tripling in value in 10 years like it did in Irvine. However, I cannot overlook all the similarities i see with Irvine 1996 and Johns Creek 2012. Back then, not many Californian locals knew how good Irvine was and the aerospace took real hit during the 1990 recession in California. Today Irvine is a branded city known across the country and internationally.

Many people who lived in Irvine in the 80s drove to Los Angeles for employment, similar to residents in Alpharetta and Johns Creek working in the city. Back then, Irvine was a upper middle class city populated predominately by white families. Today, the Irvine Spectrum is the largest employment center of Orange County where it used to be a ghost town during the 1990s recession. Today, what used to be a ghost town in Johns Creek Technology Park will emerge to become a major employment center to northern atlanta residents. Of course Alpharetta is also be a major employment center for northern atlanta residents today.
Earlier, you mentioned that home prices in metro Atlanta are related to the school district the home lies within. This is true to a certain degree, especially the further away from the city you go. In this regard, I see Johns Creek being in high demand.

However, I am not sure if JC Technology Park will play a large role in increasing house prices. I was amazed to see there are already over 5 million SF worth of office/industrial space in the area. However, I do not see tremendous growth (job wise) in the area, unless taller buildings are constructed.

Do you know what the huge swath of land between Bell Rd and Technology Cir is zoned for? If it part of the technology park, then I stand corrected, and there is a huge potential for JC to become a major jobs center and increase home values even more.

Old 04-01-2012, 12:34 PM

Chalvey,
What makes a new city attractive is if you can work, live, and play all within Johns Creek. No one in their right mind wants to commute to Atlanta while living in Johns Creek. I've mentioned this before but a 2nd airport up north is a real need and will allow real estate price to rise, not crash like many gwinnett county residents think. Propel investments is still trying the acquire and commercialize the Gwinnett Airport.

I totally agree with what you saying about jobs. Without job growth, we will not see the boom I expect to see in Johns creek real estate. This is why i try to bring in the history of Irvine, California. They have the Irvine Spectrum which is similar to JC Technology Park. The Spectrum was created to incubate a lot of small technology business and many fortune 500 companie relocated there. Back in the mid 90s, the Spectrum did not have a jobs, but today the Irvine Spectrum is the one of the major employment centers of Orange County. The job growth is the wild card that i cannot predict 100% for the city of Johns Creek. However, all the other ingredients are in place for Johns Creek to boom.

At the moment i don't think Bell and Technology Cir is zoned for commercial, but this can certainly change. The JCTP zoning cuts off right where the Gates of Johns Creek subdivision is located. However, I do see commercial land up for sale driving east of Technology Cir on McGinnis Ferry towards the St. Marlo CC subdivision. It does appear that the right side of McGinnis Ferry will be zoned for commercial.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Last edited by mrpanda; 04-01-2012 at 12:47 PM..

Old 04-01-2012, 02:08 PM

16,711 posts, read 29,555,716 times
Quote:
aries,

I think only a small percentage of Centennial HS is zoned for Johns Creek and the City of Johns Creek web site seems to claim that they only have 3 high schools. Perhaps it is because Centennial is in Roswell with a small % of JC students, while Northview, Chattahoochee, and JCHS has a Johns Creek address with 100% representation of JC students .
Well, you are right that Centennial High is located in Roswell.

My point is that school districts (since they are at the county level) don't follow city municipal boundaries--and can very easily change.

Northview, Chattahoochee, and Johns Creek are the only high schools located within Johns Creek, but they are not the only high schools that serve Johns Creek.

You may want to think it is a small percentage, but there is a significant percentage of Johns Creek in the Centennial Cluster--the whole Newtown area (and a little more) of Johns Creek attend Centennial High, as well as Haynes Bridge Middle and Northwood Elementary.

Take a look at this link (and notice the prominence of Centennial):
Johns Creek, Georgia - Johns Creek, GA: Schools | Public Schools

From the City of Johns Creek, Georgia Website:

"Though Centennial High School, Hillside Elementary School and Northwood Elementary School are located in Roswell and Haynes Bridge Middle School is located in Alpharetta, they are included here because a number of students attending these schools reside in Johns Creek. Fulton County Schools' attendance zones do not follow city boundaries."

If one is going to tout Johns Creek, one must embrace all of Johns Creek.

Old 04-01-2012, 02:22 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,100,956 times
Quote:
50 Best Public High Schools - Atlanta Magazine 2012
There are around 500 public high schools in the state of Georgia. Three high school clusters make up with the city of Johns Creek and all the JC High schools are ranked among the top ten in Georiga.

Rank #1, #4, and #8 are three high schools that represent the new city of Johns Creek.

Best Public Georgia High School Rankings
1. Northview - #1 High School in Johns Creek
2. Walton
3. Dekalb School of the Arts
4. Chattahoocee HS - #4 High School in Johns Creek
5. Lassiter
6. Pope
7. Alpharetta
8. Johns Creek HS - #8 High School in Johns Creek
9. Milton
10. Starrs Mill
11. Brookwood
12. Harrison
13. McIntosh
14. Riverwood
15. Parkview
Sure, but it isn't alone.

Best Public Georgia High School Rankings
1. Northview - #1 High School in Johns Creek
2. Walton - #2 High School in Cobb County
3. Dekalb School of the Arts
4. Chattahoocee HS - #4 High School in Johns Creek
5. Lassiter - #5 High School in Cobb County
6. Pope - #6 High School in Cobb County

7. Alpharetta
8. Johns Creek HS - #8 High School in Johns Creek
9. Milton - #9 High School in Cobb County
10. Starrs Mill
11. Brookwood
12. Harrison - #12 High School in Cobb County
13. McIntosh
14. Riverwood
15. Parkview

There are other good school districts in the northern burbs.

Old 04-01-2012, 02:43 PM

9. Milton - #9 High School in Cobb County

Milton HS is in Fulton County, not Cobb. If we include Alpharetta HS with Milton, we have 5 high schools in the top ten whereas Cobb only has 3. I am not even including Lambert HS here which I definitely think is within the 10 ten, but not listed here.

I think you are hitting upon the reason why the two most affluent counties in Georgia are Cobb and N. Fulton/Forsyth. I definitely see a strong correlation with the weathly families in Georgia living in the top public school districts.

Last edited by mrpanda; 04-01-2012 at 03:04 PM..

Old 04-01-2012, 03:48 PM

425 posts, read 1,756,416 times
to me JC feels more like a poor man's version of WestLake Village in terms of the bedroom community vibe than Irvine. Irvine is a large job center and it has a respectable university (UCI), which JC currently lacks. Not a bad comparison either way, but JC needs to develop carefully in the next 15 to 20 if it wants to age like Irvine. For starters, there are still way too many unoccupied strip malls in JC and too much of the city is taken up by surface parking lots. For example, look at the strip malls next adjacent to Whole Foods.

Old 04-01-2012, 04:02 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,427,543 times
Interesting data here by Mr. Panda for research purposes for some lurkers, it is probably useful to some of them either way. Even some years later, some of it will be quite useful. Some threads here are several years old already.

You know, if I were just moving to Atlanta area and wanted to use the public schools (and had to be in a certain area), most of East Cobb and much of North Fulton run neck-and-neck for me. I think even parts of Gwinnett are still fine for a few high school clusters.

Johns Creek is a nice area, but lots of it is typical cookie-cutter development and has had some growing pains in dealing with traffic and other infrastructure problems. Overall, after being in the area a few years, I think Roswell or Alpharetta are pretty similar, but slightly more appealing for someone like me and my family who enjoys living in a decent-sized house with a small yard and 2.5 kids. I like the old downtown areas, and I think Roswell has the edge for that over JC and Milton (since they are newly incorporated cities from late 2006).

Last edited by berkeleylake; 04-01-2012 at 04:23 PM..

Old 04-01-2012, 04:19 PM

Nrgpill,
I think the problem is that you think i am comparing the present day Irvine to present day Johns Creek. Do you know what Irvine was like in the early 1990s? Unoccupied strip malls were abundant and there were no jobs available in Irvine back then. Even as recent as 12-13 year ago, I had a hard time finding a tech job in Irvine. Obviously, there are differences like UCI as you mentioned as the community anchor. Couldn't we say that the medical centers and Emory hospital is potentially the community anchor for Johns Creek
?. I agree that JC needs to develop carefully in the next 15 to 20 years to age like Irvine.

I have never seen any emerging cities in Texas, N. Carolina, Vegas, etc that grew its asian population from 13% to 23% with 3 short years. Why do you think there is a sudden explosion of the asian population into Johns Creek? Let me ask you this direct question: What about Johns Creek is attracting the asian population?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrgpill View Post
to me JC feels more like a poor man's version of WestLake Village in terms of the bedroom community vibe than Irvine. Irvine is a large job center and it has a respectable university (UCI), which JC currently lacks. Not a bad comparison either way, but JC needs to develop carefully in the next 15 to 20 if it wants to age like Irvine. For starters, there are still way too many unoccupied strip malls in JC and too much of the city is taken up by surface parking lots. For example, look at the strip malls next adjacent to Whole Foods.

Last edited by mrpanda; 04-01-2012 at 04:31 PM..

Old 04-01-2012, 06:23 PM

16,711 posts, read 29,555,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Well, you are right that Centennial High is located in Roswell.

My point is that school districts (since they are at the county level) don't follow city municipal boundaries--and can very easily change.

Northview, Chattahoochee, and Johns Creek are the only high schools located within Johns Creek, but they are not the only high schools that serve Johns Creek.

You may want to think it is a small percentage, but there is a significant percentage of Johns Creek in the Centennial Cluster--the whole Newtown area (and a little more) of Johns Creek attend Centennial High, as well as Haynes Bridge Middle and Northwood Elementary.

Take a look at this link (and notice the prominence of Centennial):
Johns Creek, Georgia - Johns Creek, GA: Schools | Public Schools

From the City of Johns Creek, Georgia Website:

"Though Centennial High School, Hillside Elementary School and Northwood Elementary School are located in Roswell and Haynes Bridge Middle School is located in Alpharetta, they are included here because a number of students attending these schools reside in Johns Creek. Fulton County Schools' attendance zones do not follow city boundaries."

If one is going to tout Johns Creek, one must embrace all of Johns Creek.
Hillside Elementary in Roswell also has many residents of Johns Creek in its student population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta