Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2012, 08:38 AM

957 posts, read 3,358,962 times

Advertisements

Dear Wilful.
First of all congratulations on noticing Shakerag Farms from the Lambert cluster list. Riverbrooke also is at this price point but the location is more north and quality of the build is not that good.

There is nothing wrong with Shakerag Farms and it is a great home for a first time home buyer who wants to send their kids to Lambert.

Shakerag Farms feeds into:
elementary: Johns Creek
middle: Riverwatch
high: Lambert

Most of the homes are 3bed / 2 bath SFRs and this subdivsion sits right in the border of S. Fosyth and Johns Creek.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
Mr. Panda .......... Why are Shakerag Farms the prices so low or perhaps I should say reasonable in comparison to the other neighborhoods on your chart? Your response will be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2012, 08:46 AM

I get inquiries from people who ask if they should buy or rent in Johns Creek or S. Forsyth in 2012. If I was broker in Irvine, California I would advise you to rent as renting is cheaper than to own in that market. The opposite is currently true in the Johns Creek/ S. Forsyth market in 2012. It is much more expensive to rent that it is to own in today's market. Just to give an example, a home I purchased as primary residence last year june has a $600 premium to rental cost compared to ownership cost. There is shortage in supply for the rental market today. In calculating rental parity, I assume that one puts down 20% and finances 80% of the house with a 30 year fixed mortgage of 4%. You will add HOA, TAX, mortgage, insurance and that will be your ownership carrying cost.

This is how i know that the market is still undervalued in this area. Even in Irvine, California there was period of 15 months in the mid 90s where it was cheaper to own than to rent. I do firmly believe that this period where buying is cheaper than renting will come and go in the S. Forsyth / Johns Creek market.

Last edited by mrpanda; 04-06-2012 at 08:58 AM..

Old 04-06-2012, 01:17 PM

Bearwithme,

Sorry it took a while to get the Chattahoochee cluster data for you. Yes, Chattahoochee seems to be a the lowest median/average price point of Johns Creek at $223,114 and the average built is 1992. Similar to Lambert with 72 home transactions in 2012.

Old 04-06-2012, 01:40 PM

Rental Data 01/01/2012 - 04/06/2012

Lambert
30 homes leased
median rental: $1700
lowest rental: $1295

Northview
34 homes leased
median rental $1650
lowest rental $1195

Chattahoochee
49 home leased
median rental $1725
lowest rental $1195

JCHS
22 homes leased
median rental $1900
lowest rental $1100

Old 04-06-2012, 07:01 PM

1,816 posts, read 1,151,687 times
Mr. Panda - Thanks for your reply would you recommend this SD for a senior couple (60's) looking to downsize?

Old 04-06-2012, 07:26 PM

Wilful, I see a lot of diverse young families in that particular subdivision due to the good schools. I also think that SD would be a great place to down size.

If this is the area that you like, I see a few new senior developments right around the Johns Creek Technology Park. There is one called "Brookhaven of Johns Creek" which is off of Technology Circle next to the subdivision "The Gates".

There is also a new senior housing going up right off of 141 and Johns Creek Parkway next to the new high end apartment complex "The Regency" that feeds into Northview. I am not sure about Fulton County, but in Forsyth County, if you are over 59 your property taxes are very low as you will be exempt from taxes related to the public schools.

Old 04-07-2012, 06:12 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,381,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpanda View Post
Wilful, I see a lot of diverse young families in that particular subdivision due to the good schools. I also think that SD would be a great place to down size.

If this is the area that you like, I see a few new senior developments right around the Johns Creek Technology Park. There is one called "Brookhaven of Johns Creek" which is off of Technology Circle next to the subdivision "The Gates".

There is also a new senior housing going up right off of 141 and Johns Creek Parkway next to the new high end apartment complex "The Regency" that feeds into Northview. I am not sure about Fulton County, but in Forsyth County, if you are over 59 your property taxes are very low as you will be exempt from taxes related to the public schools.
Mr. Panda, are either of these senior developments in Forsyth County?

Old 04-07-2012, 07:34 AM

Staywam,

I have not seen any senior developments in Forsyth County. The two i mentioned are in Johns Creek, 30097. One is being built as we speak on 141, next to the new luxury apartment "The Regency"
I just know that seniors pay lower property taxes in Forsyth county which is already unbelieveably low.

My mom who just turned 60 came to vist for three weeks and she absolutely fell in love with this area. We are going to visit Brookhaven in Johns Creek today which is a new senior development located in the center of Johns Creek Technology Park. I'm starting to notice a lot of senior developments going up in the area. Perhaps it is because there are a lot of green trees, but my mom and her friend from LA tells me that the air quality seems so much cleaner here and is very peaceful. Before she had no interest considering Atlanta as a retirement destination, but i guess this area grew on her in the past three weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Mr. Panda, are either of these senior developments in Forsyth County?

Old 04-07-2012, 07:39 AM

528 posts, read 1,285,079 times
I think the Villas at Laurel Springs are an over 55 active community, at least, it is advertised as such. You'd have to check to ensure it still is and always will be.

Old 04-07-2012, 08:39 AM

There is a new home subdivision that feeds into Sharon Elementary (ranks #2 out of 1100 elementary schools in the state) that is offered in the mid 200s to high 200s. The SFRs have 4bed/2.5 bath. This is a similar entry subdivsion like the Gates of Johns Creek, but i find these home to better designed, better value, and not crammed like the Gates. There are currently only 7 home available and I see these homes selling out fast at the price point it is offered at. If you want more info regarding on this new development feel free to PM me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta