Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2018, 09:42 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,321,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
How do you know that they could communicate with us? That's an assumption. Maybe animals think that we can understand their primitive language. But we are such a higher linguistic level that they sound primitive and simple to us. Do you really understand what a bird is saying?

Perhaps a race of advanced beings would find our language so primitive and simple, they would have just as much trouble communicating with us. Their language and ideas might be advanced beyond anything we could imagine or comprehend. Likewise, their ideas about the universe could make our science look like ancient mythology.

That's what I mean by human-centric.
Maybe reread the post you responded to. It does not matter how primitive our language skills are, a more advanced or even a similarly advanced alien species would be able to understand us. Maybe not what each word means. We understand dogs and they understand us.

And yes bird researchers do understand birds. Understanding is not the same as translating from one language to another. Have you read many books on animal behavior? Have you even read books on atheism or many science books. It seems like you just go with what you think others then or do without taking any time to ask or find out if your presumptions are even close?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2018, 05:07 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,856,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Maybe reread the post you responded to. It does not matter how primitive our language skills are, a more advanced or even a similarly advanced alien species would be able to understand us. Maybe not what each word means. We understand dogs and they understand us.

And yes bird researchers do understand birds. Understanding is not the same as translating from one language to another. Have you read many books on animal behavior? Have you even read books on atheism or many science books. It seems like you just go with what you think others then or do without taking any time to ask or find out if your presumptions are even close?
What you are saying now (understanding animals) has nothing to do with what I responded to earlier.

Old 06-27-2018, 08:30 AM

Quote:
What you are saying now (understanding animals) has nothing to do with what I responded to earlier.
8f we can understand animals , a more intelligent life form should be able to understand us. How is that human centric? More like it you do not like any of your assertions challenged. I responded to your post.

Old 06-27-2018, 04:33 PM

Quote:
8f we can understand animals , a more intelligent life form should be able to understand us. How is that human centric? More like it you do not like any of your assertions challenged. I responded to your post.
Do we understand animals when they speak? You sound pretty sure of yourself.

Old 06-27-2018, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Do we understand animals when they speak? You sound pretty sure of yourself.
Words are not the sole means of communication. And yes there are lots of documented cases of communications between humans and other species. Your claim that might be too primitive for a more advanced civilization to understand gives very low level of intelligence on this advanced species.

I certainly do not understand how figuring an advanced species should be able to understand humans, and many other species on Earth, is human centric other than your presumption that only an unknown God is capable of anything. A God that leaves no evidence and no messages or advise, no morals and no knowledge.

Old 06-27-2018, 07:29 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,737,785 times
Quote:
That's my take on this poster. Add animal behavior to the long list of topics s/he knows almost nothing about.

Old 06-27-2018, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
That's my take on this poster. Add animal behavior to the long list of topics s/he knows almost nothing about.
This poster needs to work put his problems and issues. I am still not sure that he even believes what he posts. I am very close to putting him on ignore, along with any other poster who is uninterested in conducting honest discussions. Not all of them are believers and I only have about half dozen however when I poster goes out of their way in being dishonest they are not even worth reading.

Old 06-27-2018, 08:03 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,737,785 times
Quote:
This poster needs to work put his problems and issues. I am still not sure that he even believes what he posts. I am very close to putting him on ignore, along with any other poster who is uninterested in conducting honest discussions. Not all of them are believers and I only have about half dozen however when I poster goes out of their way in being dishonest they are not even worth reading.
IMO, this poster is trying desperately to hold on to theism. I definitely don't believe that s/he is as neutral on the subject as s/he thinks s/he is.

Old 06-27-2018, 08:23 PM

Quote:
All I can say is that I respect atheists in real life in the sense that they disapprove of organized religion, just like do in many ways.

But we will just have to agree to disagree. Neither side can change how they see reality just by argument alone.

Old 06-27-2018, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
IMO, this poster is trying desperately to hold on to theism. I definitely don't believe that s/he is as neutral on the subject as s/he thinks s/he is.
I'm a Liberal Theist or some would say maybe an Agnostic Theist. Some atheists label all people like me as Agnostic.
What exactly do you think that I am?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism