Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2017, 10:19 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,903,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
It's Filly.... And that explains the blood on the carpet.
Ah! Sorry Northsouth old beast! Still! A filly is a horse by any other name isn't it??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2017, 10:46 PM

50,112 posts, read 20,872,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Ah! Sorry Northsouth old beast! Still! A filly is a horse by any other name isn't it??
Not to another horse

Old 05-04-2017, 11:02 PM
Status: "This too shall pass. But possibly, like a kidney stone." (set 6 days ago)

35,934 posts, read 18,238,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
This just boggles my mind how such a large percentage of the population goes to church to worship a God that doesn't exist and shows absolutely no signs of existing. Its just so primitive. Realistically it seems like once humans became smart enough to build things, have reasoning skills, write, speak, create civilizations, we would have reached the level of intelligence to realize there is no God. I just don't get it.
jman, you haven't experienced God. The very fact that such a large percentage of human population has, might give you pause to rethink your nonbelief.

Let me leave you with this. There are people who don't believe in the "Christian" religion, who ascribe to "the answer my friend, is blowing in the wind", meaning, you ask a question of the universe and you will quickly get the answer. Try it. Ask a question out loud to the universe, and wait for an answer, and if you are open to looking for the answer, you will get a clear answer. That's God.

Old 05-04-2017, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
... you haven't experienced God. The very fact that such a large percentage of human population has, might give you pause to rethink your nonbelief.
No more than large numbers of the population claiming that they've experienced fairies would make me change my non-belief about fairies.

Quote:
Let me leave you with this. There are people who don't believe in the "Christian" religion, who ascribe to "the answer my friend, is blowing in the wind", meaning, you ask a question of the universe and you will quickly get the answer. Try it. Ask a question out loud to the universe, and wait for an answer, and if you are open to looking for the answer, you will get a clear answer. That's God.
Oh no! Its a Mystic/GldnRain acolyte!!!

Old 05-05-2017, 01:50 AM

6,321 posts, read 4,340,669 times
Quote:
jman, you haven't experienced God. The very fact that such a large percentage of human population has, might give you pause to rethink your nonbelief.

I love how it always involves "being open" to receiving an answer -- or "you have to believe in God first before you'll experience God."

I've asked questions of the thin air many times and received absolutely nothing. Granted, I could have arbitrarily stamped "god" onto a thousand different things that happened after asking a question, but doing so would be no better than reading tea leaves or chicken entrails.

It's all about interpretation and ascribing meaning to random events.

Plus, receiving "an" answer is not the same thing as receiving the correct answer. We tend to see what we want to see, hear what we want to hear.

Old 05-05-2017, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
I love how it always involves "being open" to receiving an answer ...
Yes indeed! They will tell you that you HAVE to be open-minded - whilst proclaiming that NOTHING will ever convince them that their beliefs are wrong.

Quote:
-- or "you have to believe in God first before you'll experience God."
Works the same with Oberon.

Old 05-05-2017, 03:57 AM

Quote:

There's something in that. Standing in the open and looking at the sky and asking "What? Why?' and you may well get a Feeling. If you have been well primed with religious indoctrination, guess what that feeling will morph into? But let's concede that, for all we know, it's telling us something. The evidence is against it, but let's suppose it is a mental revelation of a god behind it.

Which god? They we put it is "Sort out between yourselves which god and which religion you all agree on, then get back to us."

Old 05-05-2017, 08:52 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,298,113 times
It doesn't surprise me that some people attribute some of life's mysterious goings-on to an invisible entity.

What does surprise me - and indeed, I consider it bizarre - is that so many of those people think that entity could be the Abrahamic god.

Old 05-05-2017, 10:47 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,243,739 times
Quote:

I asked the universe why some people still think that disagreement with them must be the product of a closed mind.

As soon as it answers I'll be back with a report.

Old 05-05-2017, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
I asked the universe why some people still think that disagreement with them must be the product of a closed mind.

As soon as it answers I'll be back with a report.
No nee o bothr the universe people find it very difficult o se things from the otehr point of view. That's ok, so long as they get he other point of view - even without acepting it. But a really closed mind will not even listen to the otehr point of view and then accuse the other side of not doing the listening.

So, here we are each thinking it's the other side with the closed mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism