Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 02:42 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,806,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
And four, I think its just tradition for many people. People teach their kids what they believe and parents who believe in gods will teach it to their kids just by nature.

Very few parents will say 'these are my beliefs but when you grow up and explore the world, you decide for yourself what you want to believe'.

People naturally raise their children to do things they way they do them.

For instance, I was not raised with religion. So I never felt like I had to be. Not raising my child with religion either.
I think this is very important.

It is not simply belief existing in a vacuum. Society is imbued with belief. It is not starting fresh from a blank slate. This, of course, is why belief is society-relative. It's why most people in, say, Boston, believe in the Christian God, not the Muslim God (or Zeus, or Odin, etc.). It's why most people in, say, Tehran, believe in the Muslim God (and of the Shiite flavor) rather than all the other thousands of deities humans have claimed to exist, and their millions of permutations.

That, and the fact that people believe all sorts of things that aren't rational. Pseudo-science. Inane conspiracy theories. Bigfoot. So it's not surprising that they believe in things with a big emotional payoff regardless of the absence of substantive affirmative evidence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
There are people a whole lot smarter than me who believe in a God.
There are people a lot dumber than me who are atheists.
And Mugsy Bogues was 5'3", yet had a long and successful NBA career. That doesn't change the fact that success in the NBA statistically correlates with greater height. And exceptions to the trend don't change the fact that religious belief correlates with lower levels of education and lower IQs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2017, 05:06 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norne View Post
Neither, it is a question of emotions.
That's a relevant point. I was hoping someone would make it. Yes. Whie it is a question of information, rather than itelligence, it is how we use the information -accept it uncritically, selectively, analytically or dismissively. And the reason we do that is because of our mental approach. 'Emotion' is fair enough, but it's the way we were brought up to think, or have brought ourselves up to think. When you come down to to it, it's a matter of education. You can be educated out of faith, or emotionally cling to it.

Belief, I have said, is something of a choice; we can decide whether we want to know or whether we want to just believe.

Old 04-20-2017, 10:11 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,254,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norne View Post
but we are still the same basic homo sapiens we used to be a thousand or ten thousand years ago.
I suggest you read up on the history of humans and what they believed during their time. Here is just one small example. We are not the same basic homo sapiens...especially how we live, behave, and believe.

Miwok Native Americans

I have to agree with the OP in that humans today still believe in the same types of myths of ancient times.

Old 04-21-2017, 08:36 AM

1,333 posts, read 882,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
Not many people believe in Ghosts. I suspect religion is for a few reasons
Where are you getting that not many people believe in ghosts?

Old 04-21-2017, 08:55 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,601,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyl3r View Post
Where are you getting that not many people believe in ghosts?
Are ghosts spirits of dead relatives? If not can you please define ghost please?

Old 04-21-2017, 09:58 AM

22,149 posts, read 19,203,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
There must be a reason for it. Why do we believe in ghosts? Why do we seem to prefer fringe -science nostrums explanations and history, rather than go with what seems supported and not invest belief in what we don't know. Is it that we like to feel part of a privileged few who have been allowed secret knowledge that the rest..poor fools...don't have and therefore we can feel better than the rest? That's the way I'm thinking at the moment.

that describes the attitude of many atheists on these boards to a T

Old 04-21-2017, 10:04 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
that describes the attitude of many atheists on these boards to a T

Correct, dear lady! But the difference is that the believers have no valid basis for their "Knowledge" other than feelings and experiences which they only think they understand, whereas the atheists have knowledge which is not so much secret but is largely ignored, and the confidence we have in what we know is entirely justified.

Old 04-21-2017, 10:49 AM

1,333 posts, read 882,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
Are ghosts spirits of dead relatives? If not can you please define ghost please?
Don't ask me. I'm asking for supporting evidence too.

Old 04-21-2017, 11:00 AM

79 posts, read 48,202 times
I'm surprised we haven't ditched religion, but I think it's perfectly reasonable to believe in the existence of a God.

Old 04-21-2017, 11:23 AM

10,525 posts, read 6,158,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Perhaps it is a matter of compartmentalized intelligence. That someone is very good at language skills, does not mean that this person may also be a math whiz or a chess grand master.

I have the examples of myself and many people that I have known. I'm pretty darn good in certain areas and rather embarrassingly hopeless at others. I've only known a few people who seemed well rounded at most things, and no one who was excellent at everything.

Further, who knows to what degree our intelligence is influenced or overcome by our emotions?
Yep, good post. Totally agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism