Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 02:03 PM

2,699 posts, read 2,410,942 times

Advertisements

If so, why do you think that? If not, what do you think was the most stressful time period and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2012, 11:08 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
I n'tthink so. Life in many times was shire terror ;not just stressful. Stress is pretty individual thing really.I would think the most stressful now that compares to many times is being in a war zone.

Old 10-03-2012, 05:21 AM

6,940 posts, read 9,678,883 times
No

We have tools to facilitate us today.

Old 10-03-2012, 08:02 AM

132 posts, read 176,165 times
Yes.

Living is a lot more complex than it used to be in almost every aspect of life. It is very hard to exist if you do not follow the pack.

Old 10-03-2012, 08:28 AM

22 posts, read 34,289 times
i don't know about other
but as for me, earlier centuries people were more simple and without modern problems.
with desires to realize themselves, comes and new difficulties relationships, more stressful

Old 10-03-2012, 10:17 AM

1 posts, read 3,112 times
I think so. Nowadays, people have to work more because of the internet and mobile. However, nobody wants to come back the pass because the life today is more comfortable (and we don't have fb in the pass).

Old 10-03-2012, 10:24 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,482,104 times
People in the past just accepted that life wasn't as secure as it is today. War, disease, famine, disaster, etc. was a part of life and they just accepted it more easily.

Nowadays people have better lives but they stress over smaller troubles to a greater degree than hundreds of years ago.

So, short answer: yes.

Old 10-03-2012, 11:08 AM

18,468 posts, read 31,635,068 times
we have more technology to help us, you would think we could work less, but we are working more.

and everyone lives for a cell phone, people cannot do a thing without thier cell in their hand.

it is sickening already.

if people can text and drive than this is really pathetic.

that a text is more important than human safetl.

sick

Old 10-03-2012, 12:49 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,994,442 times
I think the stress level is probably the same. In "simpler" times, I'm sure folks stressed about how big of a deer or prey animal they may kill, so they could have food. I'm sure they stressed about that animal they just killed would go bad before they can store it properly. I'm sure they stressed about having to find a couple trees large enough to cut down, drag home and split so they could heat their home and cook their food. I'm sure they stressed about that cough their child has come down with, but the poultice they've put on her chest isn't working....

I think we all stress....over different things! I think I'd rather be stressing over today's problems, than the problems our forefathers faced!

Old 10-03-2012, 01:04 PM

2,449 posts, read 5,949,709 times
I think stress was more intense the farther you go back in human history. As we've evolved (if you want to say we have) over the centuries and millenia, we've devised ways to identify and deal with stress.

I'm curious as to what people have to be stressed about today? Jobs? Don't need them, there's government safety nets. Crime? We have police forces. Disasters? We have agencies to handle that. Religious freedom? In this country, at least, we're okay.

As you go back in time humans were a more ruthless species in many ways. There wasn't a store to just go buy food at. Jobs were not as plentiful as they were today. Hunting and fishing relied on the time of season - and wasn't guaranteed.

As we go farther back, we didn't understand disasters, and, therefore, weren't equipped or knowledgeable on how to deal with them. Sickness far more often led to death than it does today. Wars were a way of life, as was dealing with different governments and the way they claimed taxes and kept order. Freedom of speech was not even a concept - and alone could lead to death.

As we go farther back still, agriculture was a new concept, so lifespans were shorter. Preservation of the tribes was paramount and we didn't have the tools necessary to hunt effectively, but still needed to put food on the table for survival. There was always the persistant chance of attack by rival tribes or other civilizations.

And, again, what do we really have to be stressed over today? Traffic? Someone calling another out on Facebook? Losing a cell phone? Even the things that transgress time (providing food, housing, medical) are far easier to deal with in today's society than years or centuries ago. No government provided free things as they do today. Stores didn't exist as readily as they do today. Physicians were far fewer and mortality rates were much higher for common illnesses.

We have stressors today, but they are no comparison to what it was in the past. And, we have more knowledge of it and how to deal with it today. Whether people actually do or not... well... that's another matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates