Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 03:09 PM

50,166 posts, read 21,114,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salis-N View Post
I'm surprised we haven't ditched religion, but I think it's perfectly reasonable to believe in the existence of a God.
A reasonable case can be made for that, yes. But I'd agree that the justifications for religions don't hold up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2017, 08:32 PM

249 posts, read 190,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
This just boggles my mind how such a large percentage of the population goes to church to worship a God that doesn't exist and shows absolutely no signs of existing. Its just so primitive. Realistically it seems like once humans became smart enough to build things, have reasoning skills, write, speak, create civilizations, we would have reached the level of intelligence to realize there is no God. I just don't get it.

We have no proof there is a god and we have no proof there isn't, that's the size of it.
I agree with you in theory, worshiping anything of a divine power is preposterous without absolute physical proof of its existence.
Even if there was proof of a so-called god, the last thing I would do is worship or pray to it. I'd want to be the 1st in line to tell him what a sick evil ahole he is for allowing so much violence, torment, disease, and turmoil on the beautiful planet he created. I'd demand to know why he'd be such a coward to hide himself all this time, and why so many prayers have gone unanswered.

Old 04-22-2017, 04:09 AM

1,248 posts, read 832,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
I suggest you read up on the history of humans and what they believed during their time. Here is just one small example. We are not the same basic homo sapiens...especially how we live, behave, and believe.

Miwok Native Americans

I have to agree with the OP in that humans today still believe in the same types of myths of ancient times.
The myths have changed of course, but the people with their basic emotional needs have not.

By the way, the part about Coyote the trickster god sound awfully like our Nordic Loki. Even halfway across the world the myths overlap and show similarities.

Actually, if there is a God, I would rather believe he was like Coyote or Loki than the omni-max Jehova.

Old 04-22-2017, 03:43 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,773,411 times
Religions appeal to emotional needs. That's why they stick around. In the end, they are still indefensible on scientific and rational grounds. The human brain is great at coming up with GOD IDEAS, that we know. No verifiable testable evidence to support the god ideas though.

Old 04-22-2017, 07:45 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,776,098 times
Lucid dreaming, deep meditations for altered states of mind, perceived enlightenment, and all other forms of self justifying BS can lead to an over inflated feeling of self and thus ones god becomes an over inflated wind bag or the person thinks itself as equal to the whole of the universe. Either way, a bunch of blow hards.

Old 04-22-2017, 08:05 PM

566 posts, read 509,348 times
hey, come back in 5 million years, and you'll see humans worshipping some alien God with 4 heads, a tail, and 8 arms.
Jesus religion doesnt suit you no more, fine, go with Scientology.

Old 04-22-2017, 10:34 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,348,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
Lucid dreaming, deep meditations for altered states of mind, perceived enlightenment, and all other forms of self justifying BS can lead to an over inflated feeling of self.
More of your unsubstantiated nonsense. Lucid Dreaming is completely different from meditation, has nothing to do with perceived enlightenment nor is used to self justify anything. You just don't have any idea at all what it is or what's it's about. There are plenty of current scientific studies on it. PubMed is your friend...that is if you even know how to look up research papers on that site.

I suggest that you learn the topic of what ever it is you are talking about when you post about Lucid Dreaming. You have never once posted one single thing that is accurate about it. I wonder why you do this? What emotional need are you filling? How does posting nonsense about a topic you know nothing about fulfill you?

I suggest you try to learn how to Lucid Dream and then get back with us one you accomplish it. I would be willing to bet you will never be successful at it since the brain area controlling conscious cognitive processes, i.e., the anterior prefrontal cortex, is larger in lucid dreamers vs. Non-Lucid Dreamers. Only about 20% of the population are Lucid Dreamers.

Lucid dreams and metacognition: Awareness of thinking – awareness of dreaming

Studies of lucid dreamers visualize which centers of the brain become active when we become aware of ourselves

Here's the study...try and learn a thing or two from it.

Lucid Dreaming: A State of Consciousness with Features of Both Waking and Non-Lucid Dreaming

Last edited by Matadora; 04-22-2017 at 10:50 PM..

Old 04-22-2017, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
Which makes them special snowflakes!
Odd how you view someone who is more self-reflective and uses their cognitive processes more effectively than others, as a special snowflake. *shrug*

I see it as a person who more self-reflective and a deep thinker.

Check out this press release! https://www.mpib-berlin.mpg.de/sites...al_english.pdf

The scientists discovered that the brain area controlling conscious cognitive processes, i.e., the anterior prefrontal cortex, is larger in lucid dreamers.

The same cortical area is also important for metacognition. The differences in volumes between lucid dreamers and non-lucid dreamers in this brain area suggest that lucid dreaming and metacognition are indeed closely connected. This theory was supported by brain images taken when subjects were solving metacognitive tests while being awake. These images demonstrate that the activity in the anterior prefrontal cortex was higher in lucid dreamers.

Old 04-22-2017, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
Another boasting display of the coarse mindset who has to feel better than others
Only in your mind. Not in mine.

I am thankful to have this ability. Before I learned how to Lucid Dream I never felt jealousy towards those who knew how to Lucid Dream. I never viewed them as boasting their talent. It inspired me.

How about you try learning Lucid Dreaming? Good Luck!

Old 04-23-2017, 04:01 AM

50,166 posts, read 21,114,206 times
I shall have to read a bit more about this 'Lucid Dreaming'. I simply put it down to "Visions" - which was something others have but not a psychical clod like me. I didn't know it was something that one could llearn, like dream recall (trained myself in that as a kid).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism