Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2017, 08:33 AM

50,157 posts, read 21,003,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansea View Post
Depends on what your context of God is.

When we stop anthropomorphizing, and have less need to be "right" on either side, the conversation opens to greater discovery.

There is no limit to the "stunning" way humans think.

It spans the absurd to the magnificent.

Perhaps what's important is to not get stuck in any one perspective for too long, lol.
I think we'd agree While I think the evidence against a Creator of the universe - because in fact it does NOT look created by other than natural means - however that was, there could still be some kind of thinking element or intent behind those natural forces, or possible, if a little less likely, hang on - this takes a bit of wording...a plan for humanity (or its' consciousness) that doesn't actually manifest in any valid evidential form.

So it isn't anything to worry about, as we are miles away from hellthreat. And whatever it is is really academic. Which is why it is rather amusing that it becomes so important to try to convince us it exists. Such bods are quite unaware that the need to persuade others of what they have Faith in is quite obvious.

That's ok, of course, if they keep it polite when we say that we Reserve Belief - but too often they are very hostile (because they have no Bible-evidence or even miracle cures or answered prayers to wag about as evidence. Only arguments like First cause or Order in the universe. And why they get knocked down they have nothing to support their faith but denial and rudeness.

But the other kind just use First cause and I/D ideas as one of the gambits for Biblegod. The other one is to argue for Bible truth, or the miracles (I see the Fatima Fraud has resurfaced on the forum (1 ), or of course use them together.

As you say, being "Stuck" in one (really faith -based) view of the argument, never mind the dogmatic view of the argument, is the thing that it is important to avoid. Unfortunately this is a hard one to argue o believers of all stripe, because they not only rely on this blinkered thinking as a rationale for their beliefs, but they often regard blinkered thinking as something good. They call it "Faith"

(1) quite apart from anything else the 'dancing sun' at Knock shows Fatima to be a crock, even without the evidence of three levels of fakery - the original 'sighting', the local church, and the Vatican intervention.
(1a) p.s Sorry UFO buffs - the Dancing Sun as a UFO phenomenon doesn't stand up either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2017, 08:37 AM

3,271 posts, read 2,211,720 times
It's easy to not believe in God. It means you aren't accountable for anything. It fits in perfectly with this culture where nobody accepts personal responsibility.

The problem is that the thread starter and everyone who agrees with the thread starter is a relative nobody in this world, so you are ultimately powerless in deciding your destiny.

But soon, you who desire a Godless society will get your wish. Several asset classes are the verge of systematic defaults which will cause an implosion in derivatives. Soon after, all formerly sovereign banking functions will be consolidated into one global entity. Countries, nations, etc, will cease to exist.

Your life will be controlled by a few people, some of which could very well be sociopaths who do not believe in ultimate accountability. So if they kill you or let you die, who cares. You got your wish. You win. No God, no shepherd, just a bunch of sheep and wolves. Good luck with that.

Old 05-15-2017, 08:42 AM

If you remove God in society, what incentive is there to be kind? What incentive is there to be selfless? There isn't. The new protocol is get money at any cost. If you're an atheist and you don't live by this rule, you are weak and those that are stronger in their convictions will run you over. The world is now about material goods and self gratification. What a wonderful place.

Old 05-15-2017, 08:47 AM

18,585 posts, read 9,279,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
Your life will be controlled by a few people, some of which could very well be sociopaths who do not believe in ultimate accountability. So if they kill you or let you die, who cares. You got your wish. You win. No God, no shepherd, just a bunch of sheep and wolves. Good luck with that.
The world has always been run by sociopaths. There is nothing new under the sun.

Old 05-15-2017, 08:53 AM

18,585 posts, read 9,279,443 times
Quote:
If you remove God in society, what incentive is there to be kind? What incentive is there to be selfless? There isn't. The new protocol is get money at any cost. If you're an atheist and you don't live by this rule, you are weak and those that are stronger in their convictions will run you over. The world is now about material goods and self gratification. What a wonderful place.
The facts don't support your claim.

In general, the more religious a country is, the more dysfunctional and barbaric it is. The countries with the highest levels of human development are generally the least religious.

Old 05-15-2017, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
The facts don't support your claim.

In general, the more religious a country is, the more dysfunctional and barbaric it is. The countries with the highest levels of human development are generally the least religious.
I'm not going to knock your lifestyle. I would love to be an atheist. There are a lot of projects I would take on that would be complete scams, but I would get rich in the process.

Because at the end of the day, why do I care about you? I can do whatever I want if I'm an atheist as long as I get away with it. My life would be about gratification at any cost because what else is there in life?

But more power to you. I feel like I'm going to responsible for what I did in my life. I feel like I have hell to pay, literally. But I wish I could feel like you and believe I have a free pass. Shoot, if things got to hard, I could just simply kill myself and cease to exist.

Old 05-15-2017, 09:24 AM
Status: "This too shall pass. But possibly, like a kidney stone." (set 29 days ago)

36,202 posts, read 18,458,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
No I wouldn't. If your friends that you care about came running out of the woods claiming that that they had seen Brahma, would you then believe in Brahma?

Hindus claim that they do too. Will you then accept the existence of Ganesha?

...and...your point is?

How many amputees do you think have prayed to get missing limbs back and still haven't got them.

OK. Here's a way to shut us all up. Ask your god to eliminate all forms of cancer by mid-day tomorrow. We'll wait.

You must be one of Jesus' little flowers huh bro?

I do say that snarkily!
I don't pray to get missing limbs back. I pray God please guide me what to do here. "Jesus Christ of Nazareth, Yaweh my Savior, please reveal yourself. Show me what to do. Guide me. Reveal yourself."

And then, something will happen. On the car radio will be an ad for a new prosthesis technique, bill board advertising a support group for amputees, etc. It will happen, and FAST, in my experience. Like, within the next 10 minutes. My guidance.

You can laugh if you want - and I'm sure you are. But in my experience, I'd rather be the one who has found solace and comfort in guidance, and I can rely on it, than be the one who's laughing and not experiencing that grace.

So let me ask. What if I told you I suffer from migraines and have found that at the onset, if I eat a banana and then put a hair blow drier on my face for two minutes, the migraine goes away. And you heard someone else had tried that and it didn't work for them. Would you then suggest to me that I was foolish for doing this and that I shouldn't do it anymore? Or instead, would you say wow I wonder why that works so well for you, great that you found it!

Pick the second choice when dealing with Christians. Because we'd be stupid to stop believing when the power of prayer has revealed itself in profound ways. I don't know why it doesn't work for you.

(The banana hair dryer migraine example was pure fiction. Just used it to illustrate).

Old 05-15-2017, 09:25 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,374,889 times
Quote:
It's easy to not believe in God. It means you aren't accountable for anything. It fits in perfectly with this culture where nobody accepts personal responsibility.

The problem is that the thread starter and everyone who agrees with the thread starter is a relative nobody in this world, so you are ultimately powerless in deciding your destiny.

But soon, you who desire a Godless society will get your wish. Several asset classes are the verge of systematic defaults which will cause an implosion in derivatives. Soon after, all formerly sovereign banking functions will be consolidated into one global entity. Countries, nations, etc, will cease to exist.

You must be a lot of fun at parties.

Old 05-15-2017, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
You must be a lot of fun at parties.
I can be. I have some talents and I'm generally good at raising morale.

Old 05-15-2017, 09:44 AM

2,186 posts, read 1,184,613 times
Quote:
I can be. I have some talents and I'm generally good at raising morale.
One talent you don't have is judging atheist. It has not crossed my mind to scam others. And, I have no desire to cheat on my wife or eat children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism