Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2017, 11:59 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,891,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
I'm not trolling. I read only the Gospel and James in the Bible. I read James because there is great wisdom in those few pages and I read the Gospel because those are the words of Christ. Christianity is founded upon Christ, so I don't waste my time with other aspects.

I focus on what Jesus said, and unfortunately for those who believe in Jesus' words, there is hell to pay. We are held accountable. It's easy to believe that I am not accountable for anything in this life, but I just can't bring myself to believe that.

If I did; however, I would have much stronger belief in my convictions than these so-called atheists that frequent this forum. At the same time, maybe these atheists do not have the ability or knowledge to perpetuate scams that can get them much wealthier in this life...the only life they have.

And yes, since I feel accountable, that is what stops me from being a person of low character. Do you think I'm the only person that feels like this?

Lol. How naive are you?
TROLL ALERT!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2017, 03:58 AM

50,089 posts, read 20,834,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwisita View Post
What I find bizarre are atheists still caring about believers of God. I thought ya'll have common sense? You do realize, not everyone has same brain waves? You live your lives, we live ours.

Peace be with ya'll.
If only that was the situation, we wouldn't be here at all. But religion affects all our lives, because it wants to. The landmark Lemon and Dover cases showed how dangerous, unprincipled and threatening organized religion is, not because of what people believe so much but how belief, or even respectful lack of opposition to it, can allow powerful and well -funded lobbies within the church to influence society, law and education.

The threat here in the UK is not Creationism but Islam. There have been alarming attempt to get control of schools - you know how it goes, vote a lot of believing representatives onto the educational council - pass a resolution that either Creationism or Quran replace science.

If we don't fight them they will live their lives and tell us how to live ours too. And I can tell you that you won't like that as much as you might think.

First time y'all disagree with something the local board of religion says, and you think you can argue your point, and you find you can't. Blasphemy laws are in place, Dogma has been decided at high level and disagreement is a crime.

Religion needs to be kept subject to humanist society for all our sakes including people like you who simply want to believe what you like and be allowed to. That's what I want for you, too, and that's why you should be on our side, fighting organized religion and its need for power, influence and control.

You may say I'm being over -dramatic or scaremongering, and (pace Dover, Kim Davis and religious propaganda on police cars) perhaps I am, and it would never come to that if religious organization really did take the wheel, never mind the need to find enemies and seek out traitors that such organizations need in order to maintain power - remember McCarthy?

But making sure church and state are kept apart, science is not redefined to make it whatever religious authorities say it is (Kansas) and Genesis is not made the basis of all education and not only battling against the push for power, but trying to roll back the sheer numbers, money and votes organized religion can call on, is not only in America's best interests, but yours, too.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 05-16-2017 at 04:21 AM..

Old 05-16-2017, 04:02 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,617,978 times
Quote:
What I find bizarre are atheists still caring about believers of God. I thought ya'll have common sense? You do realize, not everyone has same brain waves? You live your lives, we live ours.

Peace be with ya'll.
Your god beliefs control your actions. You're a threat to humanity.

Old 05-16-2017, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
Back in the early days we used to refer to drive -by apologists. They'd log on, toss an apologetics grenade ("where do y'all get your morality?"..."What're y'all gointa say to God when Y'all stand before him in power - His, I mean, not yourne..." ..."Y'all gonna burn ha ha Lol, up yours") And you never saw them again. They never stayed to discuss (lobster does, for all the discussion degenerated into irrelevant slurry very fast) never said anything new or even interesting, and certainly contributed nothing to the debate.

Old 05-16-2017, 06:10 AM

2,186 posts, read 1,176,907 times
Quote:

Peace be with ya'll.
Yeah, but there are more religious zombies than rational thinkers. Kinda boggles the mind.

Old 05-16-2017, 05:00 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,635,672 times
its bizarre, but what does it tells us? many of us can't believe anything other then what we believe. We can't change no matter how irrational it is. omni dude claim is proof of that.

for whats it worth sansea, I agree. this "bizarre" belief is true for both sides of isle. Its just that our side is righter. There aint no nothing and that's that. We don't care what the facts is.

I tried describing the interactions without human traits, many literal atheist just can't do it either. always with the butt, butt, butt, that would mean ... off to never never land they go.

leaving us in slack jaw disbelief at the bizarre we have found.

Old 05-16-2017, 08:08 PM

142 posts, read 97,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
Oh really? That's what I think of Trump 'fans' too. Unbelievable what this douche President is doing basically ruling the US like his reality show - you're all fired. LOL. Holy sh-it. Really. Unbelievable.

What you and the poster above you, are talking about extremists. Extreme anything is dangerous. Like I said, we all have different brain waves. Reality of life. But since you are atheists, you all blame it on our belief? Get out of here.

Blame the person, they are responsible for their own actions. Unfortunately, they have loose screws and have a really wacko perception of their religion. What does it have to do with our God?

Old 05-16-2017, 08:12 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,211,158 times
I can more readily understand a belief in a creator of some sort than I can comprehend why people don't see the deity of the Old Testament as a petty, jealous, cruel, capricious and homicidal character.

Yahweh creates the world and two people, plants them in paradise, and then sends an agent to try and tempt them into doing the one thing Yahweh prohibits.

Yahweh chooses these specific people over everyone else. Yahweh demands absolute belief and absolute submission. Yahweh grants his chosen people this promised land, but when they get there it turns out that they have to kill all the not chosen people who already lived there. Yahweh assists in this operation and goes out of its way to instruct his chosen people to slaughter children.

Yahweh generates an immense amount of unnecessary suffering by bombing Egypt with plagues, forcing Pharaoh to agree to let the people go, but then Yahweh changes Pharaoh's mind for him, necessitating another round of plagues...repeat numerous times.

Yahweh has a lengthy list of specific rules, some merely eccentric, others incredibly severe which not only come with the death penalty, but the chosen people have to carry out the executions, even if it is family members.

Yahweh allows itself to get baited by Satan into playing a series of cruel practical jokes on Job, who had never been anything but faithful to Yahweh. Yahweh strikes dead some poor ox cart driver whose only crime was touching the Tabernacle to keep it from falling off the cart.

This is the profile of an all loving deity? When humans behave in a similar manner, they are regarded as dangerous psychotics. How anyone looks at this story and concludes that we need to worship this god who appears to be the model for third world strongmen, is what eludes my understanding.

Old 05-17-2017, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Oh really? That's what I think of Trump 'fans' too. Unbelievable what this douche President is doing basically ruling the US like his reality show - you're all fired. LOL. Holy sh-it. Really. Unbelievable.

What you and the poster above you, are talking about extremists. Extreme anything is dangerous. Like I said, we all have different brain waves. Reality of life. But since you are atheists, you all blame it on our belief? Get out of here.

Blame the person, they are responsible for their own actions. Unfortunately, they have loose screws and have a really wacko perception of their religion. What does it have to do with our God?
I think we'd agree with you on all that. It is the extremists- the Fundamentalists and Creationists - who are the threat, and on one hand you have the danger of competition for power within the extremist group with them trying to show the supporters that they are better extremists than the others, and on the the other hand, you have the majority of reasonable believers who passively support the group, which the extremists will have no problem with hi -jacking. And that is the passive majority who will provide the dangerous extremists with their power -base.

Old 05-17-2017, 03:30 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,635,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
I can more readily understand a belief in a creator of some sort than I can comprehend why people don't see the deity of the Old Testament as a petty, jealous, cruel, capricious and homicidal character.

Yahweh creates the world and two people, plants them in paradise, and then sends an agent to try and tempt them into doing the one thing Yahweh prohibits.

Yahweh chooses these specific people over everyone else. Yahweh demands absolute belief and absolute submission. Yahweh grants his chosen people this promised land, but when they get there it turns out that they have to kill all the not chosen people who already lived there. Yahweh assists in this operation and goes out of its way to instruct his chosen people to slaughter children.

Yahweh generates an immense amount of unnecessary suffering by bombing Egypt with plagues, forcing Pharaoh to agree to let the people go, but then Yahweh changes Pharaoh's mind for him, necessitating another round of plagues...repeat numerous times.

Yahweh has a lengthy list of specific rules, some merely eccentric, others incredibly severe which not only come with the death penalty, but the chosen people have to carry out the executions, even if it is family members.

Yahweh allows itself to get baited by Satan into playing a series of cruel practical jokes on Job, who had never been anything but faithful to Yahweh. Yahweh strikes dead some poor ox cart driver whose only crime was touching the Tabernacle to keep it from falling off the cart.

This is the profile of an all loving deity? When humans behave in a similar manner, they are regarded as dangerous psychotics. How anyone looks at this story and concludes that we need to worship this god who appears to be the model for third world strongmen, is what eludes my understanding.
second excellent summary I saw this week.
I can't believe people don't see we are in its image because it is us.

Do the jews see god more of a parent type thing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism