Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2017, 07:39 AM

3,271 posts, read 2,196,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maat55 View Post
Yeah, but there are more religious zombies than rational thinkers. Kinda boggles the mind.
What's rational about your thoughts? Are you able to tell the future? Can you see into the past? You know nothing. Why do you claim to know everything?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2017, 12:18 PM

50,089 posts, read 20,793,492 times
That is a classic starwman, O Master of the ridiculous Extreme. Rational thought does not claim to know everything or see into the future nor indeed peer into the past. Yet, in using the same methods used to secure convictions in court cases, we do look into the past, and can indeed correct the sometimes slipshod or biased historical writing of that time. And what little we do know we can take as pretty reliable, subject to further clarification.

The religious dupes, on the other hand seem to get nothing right. Their religious claims are debunked one after the other, their Holy Books are filled with false facts, false science and false history, and the worse thing is - they refuse o accept correction. We can decipher the past a little, know some things, but the believers who rely on faith refuse to look and say we must be wrong, just like the churchmen who refused o look through Galilaeo's telescope or indeed a poster of ours here who, when presented with Proof (if anything is) of "Macro" evolution (on two occasions) , he refused to look, listen or learn.

This, chum is why the humasist, skeptics and secularists who take scientifically validated fact and logically sound reason as their mental tool, rather than warm fuzzy feelings and faith in their own faith as the extreme (I think we can say) religious do are are really what we want in the complex and difficult world that seems to be coming. Not those who think that helping Armageddon to happen is all part of God's Plan.

Old 05-18-2017, 10:24 PM

2,186 posts, read 1,175,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
What's rational about your thoughts? Are you able to tell the future? Can you see into the past? You know nothing. Why do you claim to know everything?
When did I make this claim? The fact that you cannot pass your BS around here does not make me a know it all. Your tripe is too insignificant.

Old 05-19-2017, 05:56 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,339,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobster View Post
I'm not trolling. I read only the Gospel and James in the Bible. I read James because there is great wisdom in those few pages and I read the Gospel because those are the words of Christ. Christianity is founded upon Christ, so I don't waste my time with other aspects.

I focus on what Jesus said, and unfortunately for those who believe in Jesus' words, there is hell to pay. We are held accountable. It's easy to believe that I am not accountable for anything in this life, but I just can't bring myself to believe that.

If I did; however, I would have much stronger belief in my convictions than these so-called atheists that frequent this forum. At the same time, maybe these atheists do not have the ability or knowledge to perpetuate scams that can get them much wealthier in this life...the only life they have.

And yes, since I feel accountable, that is what stops me from being a person of low character. Do you think I'm the only person that feels like this?

Lol. How naive are you?
Maybe you should read more and find out the point of being an atheist is not to scam others but to simply not believe in any gids, yours included. Maybe the goal of our lives is not to amass huge amounts of money. May e your God will hold you accountable for bearing false witness upon others, there is a section in the Bible that even states that. I think it is called the Ten Commandments. I am always amazed at how many so called Christians think that they are exempt from those ten.

Old 05-22-2017, 01:53 PM

88,701 posts, read 85,065,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Indeed old coalhole, screaming for God to save them when the incoming hits only shows a human instinct to call on divine power (whichever one you have been spoonfed in your culture) when other options seem to be inadequate. It does not in any way mean that divine power really exists or that those who saw no rational reason to believe in it were wrong.
And a P.s I can't forget to mention 'Atheists in Foxholes'. Those who went through the incoming and came out the other end - still atheist.
Not an atheist, though at the time of the 9/11 attacks I was trying to be. And after that day, the only time in my life when I've had to think, "Oh sh**, I might be facing the moment of my death", I was completely and thoroughly disgusted with religion, particularly with the response of many Christians, who used the event as both a recruiting tool and an excuse to feel free to pronounce their hatred for others. Hindus, atheists, Muslims, Jews, and pagans ran down those stairs with me, and some of all of those didn't get out.

So, yeah, sometimes the foxholes are the catalyst for turning away.

Old 05-22-2017, 02:02 PM

3,271 posts, read 2,196,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Not an atheist, though at the time of the 9/11 attacks I was trying to be. And after that day, the only time in my life when I've had to think, "Oh sh**, I might be facing the moment of my death", I was completely and thoroughly disgusted with religion, particularly with the response of many Christians, who used the event as both a recruiting tool and an excuse to feel free to pronounce their hatred for others. Hindus, atheists, Muslims, Jews, and pagans ran down those stairs with me, and some of all of those didn't get out.

What are you even talking about?

There is just so much ignorance. What is the basis of Christianity? Christ. Please point out anywhere in the Gospel where Christ said it was okay to HATE people.

Those are people that say that. Christ didn't say that. You think if I stomp somebody out in the name of Jesus that I'm being Christ like and a representative of Christians?

That's like saying all (certain racial or ethic category of people) are evil because of one idiot that did something in the name of (certain racial or ethnic category of people).

Does that one person represent an entire class of people?

Old 05-22-2017, 02:08 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,179,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

Scaring someone into believing in a god has the same merit as disgusting someone into not believing. Either way we are talking about emotionalism. While emotionalism may be related to the reasons someone believes or does not, it has no relationship at all to whether or not there is any deity. The truth of the cosmos will be the truth, irrespective of how anyone feels about it.

Old 05-22-2017, 03:29 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,564,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwisita View Post
What I find bizarre are atheists still caring about believers of God. I thought ya'll have common sense? You do realize, not everyone has same brain waves? You live your lives, we live ours.

Peace be with ya'll.
We don't care about YOU, we care that you are a menace to society. Get over yourself.

Old 05-22-2017, 07:14 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,381,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Indeed old coalhole, screaming for God to save them when the incoming hits only shows a human instinct to call on divine power (whichever one you have been spoonfed in your culture) when other options seem to be inadequate. It does not in any way mean that divine power really exists or that those who saw no rational reason to believe in it were wrong.
And a P.s I can't forget to mention 'Atheists in Foxholes'. Those who went through the incoming and came out the other end - still atheist.
Right!? And trust, if I were in such a situation (again), why is it assumed I'd attempt to appeal to El/Yahweh and Jesus? I mean, really. They aren't on my radar. They "exist" to me in the same way Ahura Mazda exists to Abrahamic theists. That is to say, they don't. They don't register to me.

If any entity were thought of in such a moment, it would likely be pantheistic/pandeistic or panentheistic/panendeistic in nature. A Prime Mover, Cosmic Consciousness, Tao, Brahman, the Force, etc., etc. Not ancient deities from ANE mythos.

I'll also add, my first husband deconverted from Christianity shortly after I did (though I suspected he was a closet skeptic the entire time and just went through the motions to make me happy), while active duty military, and we received the "no atheists in foxholes" comment many times. I know he engaged in a few debates with his superior officer about his atheism (apathetic), and was apprehensive about disclosing his godlessness to co-workers. In any case, during his fifth deployment, his convoy was hit by an IED. I didn't hear from him for a bit. No praying to the Abrahamic gods, or any other gods.

He was an atheist before, and still is several years later.

Old 05-22-2017, 07:34 PM

331 posts, read 316,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
This just boggles my mind how such a large percentage of the population goes to church to worship a God that doesn't exist and shows absolutely no signs of existing. Its just so primitive. Realistically it seems like once humans became smart enough to build things, have reasoning skills, write, speak, create civilizations, we would have reached the level of intelligence to realize there is no God. I just don't get it.

How is a believer more "primitive" than someone who asserts there is no God, as you do, when in fact the truth is simply unknown. Your position is merely another version of faith. Almost seven decades of experience, observation and study have convinced me that there is a higher level of reality and that some intelligence we can reasonably call God does in fact exist. But I am not so "primitive" as to run around asserting "There is a God" as though I knew this for a fact, the same way I know my golf clubs are in the closet. As a sane human being, I acknowledge that I could be wrong - that either there is no God at all or that the truth is something far different from what I now conceive it to be. I assert simply "On the basis of my experience, observation and study, I have concluded that God exists and choose to live my life accordingly, at least until such time as further experience, observation and study drive me to a different conclusion." To confidently assert that "God doesn't exist" when you can't possibly know this, and that he "shows absolutely no signs of existing" when a multitude of scientists, philosophers and other scholars have concluded otherwise, is not really an effective approach for promoting atheism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism