Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 01:27 PM

12,407 posts, read 2,977,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postal77 View Post
You're proving Mikes point.

Atheists are good people? They are? As a whole? Not all of them are.
You're proving our point every time you go back to the same tired, childish excuses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
So what? Neither are all Christians, Muslims, Jews, Voodoo practitioners, etc.
Thank you.

No one is saying all members of any group are all good people. Acting as if that's the discussion is a straw man argument. The point is atheists don't support and expand evil social systems while falsely claiming those systems are moral and superior to reason. They just don't. Atheists, being higher IQ and therefore more likely productive and by not poisoning the settings around them with hateful judgmentalism, by default of those qualities do more good and cause less harm to others than believers of any religion ever could.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2017, 10:45 PM

231 posts, read 229,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PegE View Post
Atheists, being higher IQ and therefore more likely productive and by not poisoning the settings around them with hateful judgmentalism, by default of those qualities do more good and cause less harm to others than believers of any religion ever could.
This might be the funniest thing I've read on this board. Thanks.

You did know that Christian organizations provide more humanitarian aide than any other type of organization. Didn't you?

Old 06-30-2017, 12:02 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,328,761 times
Quote:

You did know that Christian organizations provide more humanitarian aide than any other type of organization. Didn't you?
That's only because:

1) There are tens of thousands of Christians for every one atheist.

2) Religion is organized -- hence the term, "organized religion." Therefore, religion has the money, resources, and manpower to facilitate the large scale operations necessary in humanitarian support.

Christian organizations supply humanitarian aide because these endeavors attract the efforts of good people -- including atheists (because, believe me, a lot of atheists volunteer to work for Christian charities as long as they aren't required to push religion onto the victims). They do NOT provide humanitarian efforts because they are Christian.

Religion is not a major motivating factor. Doing good ... is.

If atheism was an organized and widespread ideology, there would be atheist organizations providing at least as much humanitarian aide. As it stands now, your comparison is like bragging that New York City produces more goods than the village I currently live in with its population of around 400.

Good people do good things because it's the right thing to do ... not because they are religious.

In fact, I would argue that Christians might be great for providing humanitarian aide for people in other countries -- while simultaneously voting in and supporting politicians here in America who want to abolish welfare and disability programs and force everyone to rely only on charity. What I've found is that the Christian attitude toward helping their own countrymen is abysmal. Perhaps they help the poor in other countries to offset the guilt they feel for hating and despising the poor, sick, and disabled here at home.

Old 06-30-2017, 12:07 AM

Quote:
The most bizarre thing is that there are people who think we sporadically boomed into existence.

It takes lots of faith to believe in the big boom.
Right ... because an eternal superbeing using magic to create the universe is FAR more plausible ... right?

Old 06-30-2017, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMike77 View Post
I am always intrigued by people who relish the opportunity to poke at the deeply held beliefs of others. I always wonder exactly what kind of narcissistic joy it brings them since it surely does. Is it simply the feeling of superiority it brings, or is there more to it than that ?

I love my son very much, but I could never prove it to you. I guess I don't really love him after all.
I'm always intrigued by believers who come to the Atheist & Agnostics board and get all butthurt when they see atheists poking at the deeply held beliefs of others. I wonder what kind of narcissistic joy it brings them to invade our little corner of the forum and, even here, essentially tell we atheists to sit down and shut up.

Is it simply the feeling of sanctimonious smugness it brings? Or is there more to it than that?

Old 06-30-2017, 04:17 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,764,691 times
Quote:

1. As Shirina says, the religions are organized to carry out charitable aid. On an individual basis...I read an article that claimed that atheists are as individuals to do charitable acts. Just sayin' - I wouldn't risk money on it myself.

2. If they weren't allowed to peddle their religion as part of the charity package I wonder whether they'd waste a cent on it.

3. It doesn't of course make it true and atheism false - you cannot buy the truth with free soup. Though of course that is a by - the -way point.

Old 06-30-2017, 07:11 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,870,768 times
Quote:
Yes, we know that. We also know that the vast majority of the aid goes to countries where the majority of the population are poorly educated and deeply superstitious and therefore, ripe for conversion to a new superstitious belief. They go with a bowl of food in one hand and a bible in the other - and I have seen this and witnessed their 'methods' with my own eyes.

One wonders, if all the atheists in the world were in need of aid, would they expend as much humanitarian effort on them.

Old 06-30-2017, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
One wonders, if all the atheists in the world were in need of aid, would they expend as much humanitarian effort on them.
The answer is ... no.

Look at the Bible Belt and their stance on welfare programs, universal health care, and the social safety net. Every one of those states, supposedly filled with good and wonderful Christians, damn near hate the sick and poor and do everything they can within the law to make the lives of the poor and disabled even more miserable than they already are.

If they refuse to even help their fellow Christians right here in America, they wouldn't lift a finger to save an atheist ... at least not as a collective. I'm certain, though, that some individuals would rise to the challenge. Just not very many of them.

Old 06-30-2017, 05:46 PM

301 posts, read 296,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Yes, we know that. We also know that the vast majority of the aid goes to countries where the majority of the population are poorly educated and deeply superstitious and therefore, ripe for conversion to a new superstitious belief. They go with a bowl of food in one hand and a bible in the other - and I have seen this and witnessed their 'methods' with my own eyes.

Bottom line:
1. Wrong. Non profit non Christian non Religious (Atheist) Charities provide more relief than Christian Charities.
2. Christian Charities can be very admin heavy. The worst charity in the U.S. is the American Tract Society which distributes religious materials. For every dollar donated, 32 cents makes it to the people.
3. Even Charities with low admin costs such as Catholic Relief Services do harm such as distributing incorrect information such as Condoms cause Aids further killing the very poor such as those in Africa.
4. Just look to televangelism for how corrupt religious charities can be.

Long version and evidence below.
--------------------------------------

O.K. Sarcasm aside. You are wrong. I find this often when debating Christians that recite things from memory or what they have heard in their church. There are Christian Charities, but along with the aid they provide in terms of humanitarian aid comes along money provided for proselytizing Christianity which must be taken into account which I'm not even going to go into, but lets look at a couple things. First of all is the largest U.S. Charities with private donations.

According to Forbes: Here are the largest Charities for 2016.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/william.../#328669e84abb

Largest U.S. Charities for 2016, with private donations received
(Click on a name for more information)
  1. United Way Worldwide, $3.708 billion.
  2. Task Force for Global Health, $3.154 billion.
  3. Feeding America, $2.150 billion.
  4. Salvation Army, $1,904 billion.
  5. YMCA of the USA, $1.202 billion.
  6. St. Jude Children's Research Hospital, $1.181 billion
  7. Food for the Poor, $1.156 billion.
  8. Boys & Girls Club of America, $923 million.
  9. Catholic Charities USA, $921 million.
  10. Goodwill Industries International, $902 million.
Yes, there are some Christian Charities in the list, but not the largest, nor the majority in the top 10.

According to Charity Navigator, the largest independent evaluator of U.S. charities, here are Charity Navigator’s 2017 list of the “10 Best Charities” accounts for financial performance, transparency, and accountability.

https://www.directrelief.org/2017/01...hoCO5cQAvD_BwE

Charity Navigator: Top Ten Rank Charity Score 1 Direct Relief 100.00 2 Map International 100.00 3 The Conservation Fund 98.23 4 The Rotary Foundation 97.87 5 The Carter Center 97.87 6 Doctors Without Borders 97.23 7 Americares 97.23 8 National Council of YMCA USA 97.17 9 Patient Services Inc. 97.17 10 Catholic Medical Mission Board 96.83

Again we see some Christian Charities near the top, but not #1, nor the majority of the top 10. The majority are independent of any religion or political affiliation.

But seeing how there has been a couple Catholic charities in the top 10, I thought it would be interesting to look and see how some of their money has been spent. Now, I'm not saying it was Catholic Charities USA or Catholic Medical Mission Board, but they both have ultimately the same leader, the pope and they spread the same message through their aid. They actually preach that condoms cause AIDS and pregnancy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUuUxe8mfCM it actually reached a point where Catholic charities were distributing fliers that stated condoms cause AIDS in a poor uneducated country where they took it literally.

Finally, When you look at Charities, you have to look at how many dollars are donated vs. how many dollars reach the intended people in need. Here is a list of the 10 worst charities in terms of how much money is spent on admin vs. how much money goes to the people in need.

https://www.thestreet.com/story/1280...s-america.html

As you can see without listing them, 40% of the worst charities in the U.S. including the worst, the American Tract Society in which 68 cents of every dollar goes to administrative costs and only 32 cents makes it to distributing religious literature around the world.

And this does not even include what could be called some of the most crooked "charities" in the U.S. Take a look at TV evangelism and how rich the "pastors" are and the houses the live in and the cars they drive and the planes they own and fly.. (I mean the church owns and lets them use....) I have to use the example of Kenneth Copeland because he is near and dear to my heart. My parents were no where near wealthy but my parents gave 5% of everything they earned to this "church" and 5% to their local church. My mother also gave half of the $500,000 my grandfather left them when he died to Kenneth's church. Not two years later my parents had second mortgaged they house and were left with next to nothing due to medical bills due to her bout with cancer. If you don't know about this great use of tax free money and how he gives to the world... take a look.

Here's an example of why he needs his 20 million dollar airplane:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdH2DGSXjss

He also has three other airplanes used by his ministry including a North American T-28 Texan. I'm not sure how a 1950's Naval training aircraft is used by the ministry, but I'm sure it's good.

Old 06-30-2017, 10:07 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,870,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheistAstroGuy View Post
Bottom line:
1. Wrong. Non profit non Christian non Religious (Atheist) Charities provide more relief than Christian Charities.
2. Christian Charities can be very admin heavy. The worst charity in the U.S. is the American Tract Society which distributes religious materials. For every dollar donated, 32 cents makes it to the people.
3. Even Charities with low admin costs such as Catholic Relief Services do harm such as distributing incorrect information such as Condoms cause Aids further killing the very poor such as those in Africa.
4. Just look to televangelism for how corrupt religious charities can be.

Long version and evidence below.
--------------------------------------

O.K. Sarcasm aside. You are wrong. I find this often when debating Christians that recite things from memory or what they have heard in their church.
Hey bro! Read my post that you quoted again...I'm on your side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism