Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 03:55 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,735,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkool View Post
No matter how many times I read this, it makes no sense whatsoever.
My sentences don't make sense and your honesty gave me an actual lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 02:02 PM

930 posts, read 2,430,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Trails View Post
Are there any areas of Arizona that have cooler summer areas rather than the 125 degree Phoenix/ Scottsdale valley?

Also, the towns must be inexpensive housing, no gangs, tolerant of everything, great shopping, good schools, friendly people and cheap
taxes!

Any places like that in Arizona?
How can you be tolerant of everything and still have no gangs?

Wouldn't that make you "gang intolerant" or "gang-o-phobic"?

Old 02-06-2009, 04:51 PM

219 posts, read 508,821 times
Flagstaff has beautiful summers and the winters arent too bad, at least not compared to the miserable winters in the Northern Midwest. It's pretty open, fairly low crime and is quaint in some areas.

AZnative4Life just because the weather forecast doesn't say 125 degrees doesn't mean it wont get that hot. With all the pavement in the Valley and such a relatively small amount of greenery I garentee you it gets that hot. I've taken a thermometer outside about 5pm in late June, held it about 4' off the driveway surface and got a temperature reading of 127. That was June when the forcast had said a high of 109.

Old 02-06-2009, 05:03 PM

1,664 posts, read 3,972,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beena View Post
How can you be tolerant of everything and still have no gangs?

Wouldn't that make you "gang intolerant" or "gang-o-phobic"?
Heck..........I like gangs............they are so diverse!!!

Old 02-06-2009, 05:07 PM

1,664 posts, read 3,972,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXRScott View Post
Flagstaff has beautiful summers and the winters arent too bad, at least not compared to the miserable winters in the Northern Midwest. It's pretty open, fairly low crime and is quaint in some areas.

AZnative4Life just because the weather forecast doesn't say 125 degrees doesn't mean it wont get that hot. With all the pavement in the Valley and such a relatively small amount of greenery I garentee you it gets that hot. I've taken a thermometer outside about 5pm in late June, held it about 4' off the driveway surface and got a temperature reading of 127. That was June when the forcast had said a high of 109.
But doesn't Flagstaff have the big dumps of snow in the winter? I was in Williams one Easter break because we were going to the Grand Canyon.

On the way in it was chilly but no snow. While at the canyon it started to snow and this was April!! We made a snowman and it was wonderful. The amazing thing was far down in the canyon it was warm with no snow and people were in their shirtsleeves. Anyway, on the way back to Williams we were the only ones on the road and experienced a white-out! We could only follow the road because someone was maybe a few miles ahead of us and we could follow his tire tracks...It was very scary!!!

Old 02-12-2009, 08:16 PM

12 posts, read 44,756 times
Yep...snow in May on Graduation is more common then you think.

Old 02-13-2009, 01:13 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,378,973 times
Quote:
Are there any areas of Arizona that have cooler summer areas rather than the 125 degree Phoenix/ Scottsdale valley?

Also, the towns must be inexpensive housing, no gangs, tolerant of everything, great shopping, good schools, friendly people and cheap
taxes!

Any places like that in Arizona?
Tucson

Believe it or not, Tucson feels a lot cooler in terms of weather. However, their winters are fairly cold too. There are theories about the heat-island effect and Tucson is a lot smaller and less developed so maybe that has something to do with it in addition to it's geography but it felt significantly cooler both in regards to the summer and winter.

There are some really nice areas in Tucson so you will definitely have to seek those out. I'm sorry but the name just slips my mind at the moment. Nonetheless, Tucson is more liberal than Phoenix. It's definitely less polluted. It was voted as one of the most fit cities in America. The University of Arizona definitely feels more like a college campus than ASU and thus brings the charm associated with a college campus in terms of nice quaint little restaurants etc.

I personally don't prefer Tucson because it's too small and doesn't offer enough big city amenities such as professional sports, night life etc. However, if you dont' require those things, it has enough shopping and dining to probably satisfy you

Old 02-13-2009, 03:35 PM

219 posts, read 508,821 times
Quote:
But doesn't Flagstaff have the big dumps of snow in the winter? I was in Williams one Easter break because we were going to the Grand Canyon.

On the way in it was chilly but no snow. While at the canyon it started to snow and this was April!! We made a snowman and it was wonderful. The amazing thing was far down in the canyon it was warm with no snow and people were in their shirtsleeves. Anyway, on the way back to Williams we were the only ones on the road and experienced a white-out! We could only follow the road because someone was maybe a few miles ahead of us and we could follow his tire tracks...It was very scary!!!
Yes this can happen. Flag (and Snowbowl) either get a ton of snow or barely any. What you wont see are temperatures in the single digits like you will in Minnesota and Michigan. Maybe once in a blue moon.

Old 02-13-2009, 05:01 PM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,043,298 times
Quote:
I would like to see a price range of say $200-$350,000? A 1/2 acre lot would be perfect!

You can get a nice house on an acre of land in Chino Valley (just north of Prescott) easilly for $200K to $300K. Unless you are looking for a mansion or hacienda, of course. And Chino has very nice summers (albeit windy springs due to being in a high valley)

Old 02-15-2009, 05:42 PM

16 posts, read 73,093 times
Well, folks, I live in Rio Rico, AZ which is at an elevation of 3,500 ft. It's a rural kind of town, just about 14 miles north of our border with Mexico.

And as for the climate? It's far better than the climate I fled when I left Connecticut, 11 years ago.

The only "uncomfortable" time occurs from about May 15th to the end of June. It can become very bright and very hot.

It's become my "hibernation time," actually. I just close up all the shades and avoid as much as possible, going outside. (Like Jan and Feb were in CT - but much less expensive.)

But then, in early July, we have what's called our "Monsoon Season." That's when we get stupendous, dramatic, and beautiful thunderstorms that drop the afternoon temperature at least 30 degrees within, I swear, 10 minutes. Which also brings on our "second spring."

Somewhere on the Web, I once read a claim that Santa Cruz County, Arizona, as the 8th best climate in all the world.

Never have been able to Google enough to confirm that, but I don't need to do that.

Because, believe me, all our 300 sunny days here surely beat all those miserably cloudy days I once suffered when I lived in Connecticut!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona