Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 07:40 PM

26 posts, read 158,770 times

Advertisements

what are some cool citys to live in and around the white mountains? is the cost of living cheap? ive never been there and was wondering about payson, pintop - showlow and such..

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2007, 09:43 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,162,378 times
I think for the most part the northern areas of AZ are not really cheap. I know Flagstaff and Payson are not. Check out realtor.com and you can see for yourself how much housing is.

Old 09-22-2007, 12:01 AM

8,042 posts, read 12,256,544 times
Payson isn't considered White Mountains. In fact, its elevation is slightly below 5,000 feet above sea level ... so it's really more of a high scrubland if anything. I wouldn't recommend Payson as an escape from the Phoenix heat. It's not all that cool in the summer.

White Mountains would be the region in eastern AZ starting at Show Low, and continuing east to the New Mexico border. Are you looking for cool as in "hip", or cool as in decent temperatures? You're not going to find too much activity in the White Mountains as far as city life. Show Low, and perhaps Pinetop/Lakeside would be the largest towns. East of there, you have places like Greer, Alpine, Eagar, and Springerville, which are all very small.

Climate wise, all of those places are great escapes from Phoenix & Tucson in the summer (30 degrees cooler), but the winters can be very cold and snowy. Cost of living is cheaper, but you're not going to find too many places up there where you can live year round. Also, good luck finding any decent jobs ... they are limited. Many people who live in the White Mountains are part time residents (summer only).

Old 09-22-2007, 09:40 AM

371 posts, read 1,008,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Payson isn't considered White Mountains. In fact, its elevation is slightly below 5,000 feet above sea level ... so it's really more of a high scrubland if anything. I wouldn't recommend Payson as an escape from the Phoenix heat. It's not all that cool in the summer.

White Mountains would be the region in eastern AZ starting at Show Low, and continuing east to the New Mexico border. Are you looking for cool as in "hip", or cool as in decent temperatures? You're not going to find too much activity in the White Mountains as far as city life. Show Low, and perhaps Pinetop/Lakeside would be the largest towns. East of there, you have places like Greer, Alpine, Eagar, and Springerville, which are all very small.

Climate wise, all of those places are great escapes from Phoenix & Tucson in the summer (30 degrees cooler), but the winters can be very cold and snowy. Cost of living is cheaper, but you're not going to find too many places up there where you can live year round. Also, good luck finding any decent jobs ... they are limited. Many people who live in the White Mountains are part time residents (summer only).
I live in NE Payson and it definitely isn't 'scrubland'...in fact it is part of the world's largest continuous pine tree stand...the area I live in is packed with Ponderosa pines...we average about 20 degrees cooler than Phoenix during summer days and 30 degrees at night...our winters aren't as harsh as the upper elevations but we have had about 30-40 inches of snow the last couple winters...mostly gone within a few days...the only way we can live in this state is up here as we could never live in the Valley again.

Jobs are slim though if you don't open up your own business.

Old 09-22-2007, 11:35 AM

999 posts, read 4,526,957 times
I've spent some time in Show Low and have about an acre and a half about 20 minutes east of Show Low, south of 60. I don't reallly like Springerville or Eagar. Nutrioso is nice, Alpine is nice, Greer is nice, but all pretty small. You'd have to go to "town" for basic shopping. "Town" is Springerville or Eagar or Show Low.

Personally, I don't like the area north of 60, like St. Johns. Pinetop Lakeside is OK, but not cheap by any means. What do you do for a living?

Old 09-22-2007, 11:58 AM

343 posts, read 552,109 times
The Rim country is beautiful. There is much to do for recreation, but hard to start a career. Why I like it is because of the peace and quiet, which is why long time valley residents go there to retire or build a second home. I think I spent a dozen weekends there this summer. I know real estate is not as high as Flagstaff, but how does Pinetop and Pine compare in price? Both are nice, but one is closer to the valley. Prescott, too is closer, and you have more shopping.

Old 09-22-2007, 08:50 PM

2 inches of rain so far today at my house in NE Payson.

Old 09-24-2007, 08:51 AM

343 posts, read 552,109 times
Weather report said Payson had a total of 4 inches! Any roads wash out?

Old 09-24-2007, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice Nice Baby! View Post
Weather report said Payson had a total of 4 inches! Any roads wash out?
The rain was spread out a bit...we had 4 or so pretty decent spurts.

No wash outs in the community I live in (Chaparral Pines) as drainage is pretty decent.

It is SO nice when it rains like this up here...everything gets even greener!

Old 09-24-2007, 11:28 AM

39,075 posts, read 51,205,311 times
Show Low, Pinetop etc have moved into the unaffordable column with real-estate prices there nearly as bad as Flagstaff. Land, in particular, is simply outrageous. It has become the playground of Phoenix's well-to-do and the average wage earner has been priced out or relegated to mobile living on the scrubland north of the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona