Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2008, 05:17 AM

683 posts, read 2,650,441 times

Advertisements

We're closing on our house in about a month and I'd like to hear about other people's experiences and ideas for landscaping. I'm interested in putting greens, a small lawn for my backyard, outdoor fireplaces, outdoor grill and kitchen, flagstone, river rock, boulders, trees, bushes, a pergola, fountains, and horseshoe pits. My front yard will already be landscaped when we move in and the backyard will have nothing, a blank canvass. We have a corner lot, with an "L" shaped back and side yard, so a large part of the yard is actually on the east side of the house and will be well shaded from the afternoon sun. On the north side, we have a large covered patio where I'm installing a ceiling fan and a couple stereo speakers.

I'm looking forward to sharing and receiving a lot of information and ideas about landscaping in the great state of Arizona.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2008, 07:42 AM

39,072 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Plant NOTHING next to your foundation/house walls and you will have a much lower chance of ever having termites.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:04 AM

1,222 posts, read 5,017,881 times
Thanks for starting this thread. We're in the same boat, except we've been in our house for a couple of months. We've got a decent sized yard that is basically dirt and a pool. We desperately need some rocks, as right now, the slightest rainfall turns it into a mud pit.

We're also thinking of using the fake grass to put in a putting green/bocce ball court, buidling a fire place and BBQ area and flagstone walkways. Not to mention plants.

Ponderosa - thanks for the termite tip. Do you think it's okay to put planters near the house as long as they don't drain right there? We were thinking of building a retaining wall/planter box type of thing that would have room in the bottom for drainage so there wouldn't be water draining around the foundation. Would something like that be possible? Or is that still taking a big chance w/termites?

Old 03-24-2008, 03:44 PM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,016,755 times
Plant "native" plants and trees and you'll be fine. Remember that water is precious and temps are drastic at times.

Old 03-24-2008, 04:24 PM

We're definitely going for native plants, and we're looking into rain water harvesting, too. I can't stand when I'm driving around town and see businesses with their sprinklers going in the middle of the day.

Old 03-24-2008, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdtoaz View Post
We're definitely going for native plants, and we're looking into rain water harvesting, too. I can't stand when I'm driving around town and see businesses with their sprinklers going in the middle of the day.
Check out these rain barrels I found. I'm thinking about getting a couple of them.

Rain Barrels

Old 03-25-2008, 10:49 AM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,016,755 times
Talking Good for you!

Sprinklers and lawns are such a HUGE waste of water! It drives everyone nuts if they know how much water evaporates that way. Drip systems are best, and harvesting rain water is a perfect idea. You are really in a wonderful desert mind-set! Best of luck to you!

Old 03-26-2008, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esselcue View Post
Sprinklers and lawns are such a HUGE waste of water! It drives everyone nuts if they know how much water evaporates that way. Drip systems are best, and harvesting rain water is a perfect idea. You are really in a wonderful desert mind-set! Best of luck to you!
I will always defend having a small lawn when it serves a purpose and is designed correctly. In fact, most xeriscape programs will mention that growing some grass is fine. I have three kids and a couple dogs, we need a little bit of grass in the backyard.

But trying to grow and maintain a putting green would require a lot of time, money, and water. That's why I'm looking into the option of using artificial turf.

I looked around a little this weekend at barbecue grills. I'm starting to think I want a setup that will serve as an outdoor kitchen, maybe even one with an oven. I want to be able to cook dinner outside and keep from heating up the house. I also checked out a couple pergolas to extend my patio, I'd like to have a flagstone floor and then use more flagstone to create paths leading from the pergola.

Old 03-26-2008, 07:58 AM

1 posts, read 4,323 times
mybe

Old 05-01-2008, 09:44 AM

So, we've decided to go with a little area of real grass as opposed to the artificial turf. I've done some research and the artificial stuff gets (and stays) significantly hotter than regular grass, plus I don't really see where it would be anymore environmentally friendly when you consider manufacturing and disposal. So, grass it is.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone knows of somewhere around Tucson that sells sod? I found a place in Tempe where you can order online, but it looks like the minimum is 500 square feet, and we aren't going to need quite that much. Any help would be appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
View detailed profiles of: