Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 09:37 AM

123 posts, read 453,963 times

Advertisements

We are planning to fly ourselves from Texas to Arizona the week of Mar 8th. Myself, husband and 9 year old twins.

We're planning on spending a few days in Sedona. I don't know if we should/could base ourselves in Sedona all week and then drive or fly to other destinations or if if would be better to divide up and base part of the week in one part of the state and part in another.

The kids and I have never been to Arizona. Here are the things we are interested in:
Grand Canyon
Pink Jeep Tours
Horseback Riding
See really cool/beautiful geography
Dude Ranch
Ghost towns/Wild West history

Not at all worried about seeing/experiencing during this visit:
nightlife
Phoenix
Las Vegas
Lake Meade or Powell (don't want to boat this week, and don't think it will be warm enough)

Our budget for the week is b/w $3000-$4000 (lodging, tourist stuff & food). Actual travel expenses are not included in this (air & car rental)

I would love your advice on where to go, where to stay/base, what to avoid, must sees, an itinerary, how long to stay each place, etc.

Thanks,
Betsy
San Antonio

Last edited by Betsyg; 01-14-2009 at 10:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 09:53 AM

39,314 posts, read 51,863,292 times
I'd suggest you visit Montezuma Well/Castle and Fort Verde State Historic park near Camp Verde and Walnut Canyon ruins east of Flagstaff off I-40 for a little history and pre-history of the area. Check out Oatman and Jerome for "living" ghost towns from the mining days. I especially like Oatman with its wild burros roaming the streets. Out of Africa wildlife park is nearby as well. It is not a great zoo except for how close you can get to the tigers. The kids will like it. Don't know what you have against Lake Powell, it is one of the most beautiful and breathtaking places on earth. But you need a boat and time to explore.

Last edited by Ponderosa; 01-14-2009 at 10:02 AM..

Old 01-14-2009, 10:38 AM

123 posts, read 453,963 times
Thanks for the quick response.

Nothing against Lake Powell at all. I would love to go back during the summer and stay on a houseboat. But, for this trip, you're right, we did not want to do boating.

Betsy

Old 01-14-2009, 02:49 PM

191 posts, read 615,414 times
In Phoenix, go to the Zoo and the Desert Botanical Gardens. The gardens have a very cool glass sculpture display by Chihuly that is scattered through out.

Old 02-26-2009, 02:57 PM

1,217 posts, read 3,297,872 times
Not sure if you'll make it over this way or not but my 7 year old loved Rawhide. We spent and evening there, ate dinner( was really good) and took in the shows. Fun time for the kids.

Old 03-01-2009, 04:05 PM

398 posts, read 823,705 times
Basing your trip in two separate areas might be a good idea. From Sedona you would be able to visit Jerome, the historical mining town previously mentioned, and also Montezumas well and castle. Of course, that is where the pink jeeps are and you want to do that (awesome geology). Maybe go from Sedona to the Grand Canyon itself and base the rest of your trip from there. Be sure to drive up Oak Creek canyon to Flagstaff on your way to the canyon. Not sure who all would be offering horseback riding this early in the year, however the Grand Canyon itself has the mule rides into the canyon where you can spend the night in the canyon with lodging provided, and ride out the next day. Can not surpass that geology ride!
You could then make trips to Wapatki (outsied of Flagstaff), and visit the Cameron Trading Post right at the east entrance to the canyon. And, of course, make any stops of your choosing along the way! Hope the weather will be good. It can be cold at the rim of the canyon (7,000 feet in elevation), and even chilly in Sedona (4200 feet on elevation) in March. The bottom of the canyon (about 2,000 feet in elevation) has about the same temperature as Phoenix. Enjoy your travels.

Old 03-01-2009, 04:48 PM

2,897 posts, read 10,482,915 times
If you're going to visit AZ don't waste your time in Phoenix. You should visit Sedona, you can spend days visiting the other small towns around Sedona as well. After Sedona you should head up to Flagstaff, and then up to the Grand Canyon.

Phoenix has nothing interesting, the Zoo is like any other Zoo, the gardens are nothing special.

Montezuma castle is also a good sight.

Old 03-02-2009, 08:02 AM

214 posts, read 1,315,334 times
Flag, Jerome, Seddona.

Old 03-02-2009, 09:43 AM

1,384 posts, read 4,318,979 times
Yeah when you go to Sedona, Jerome is a neat little town that I thought was worth checking out.

Old 03-02-2009, 11:08 AM

4 posts, read 23,668 times
Sedona...good choice to base your AZ adventure. Lots to do there. Definitely try to get to Grand Canyon National Park and bypass Flagstaff except to drive through to GRCA as Flagstaff does not have much to offer your 9 year olds - it is a college town with lots of bars. Also, if you come into northern AZ try to remember to pack for cold weather, night time temps are often at or below 32 degrees. It can also be quite windy this time of year making temps feel a bit colder. Hope you enjoy your trip...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona