Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 10:43 PM

10 posts, read 69,779 times

Advertisements

i dont have any way to pay my rent...i have a job lined up in a different state and need to leave arizona in two weeks to start!...please help me in finding out how to get out of my rental agreement...it is a house that i rented from a private owner.....................please give me some advice on how to get out of here without having to pay the rest of the rental term!!!.................................help...... ......help.............thank you all for your advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2007, 10:55 PM
jco

2,121 posts, read 6,451,575 times
If you signed, you need to pay for the rest of the rental term. Can you call the landlord and ask if they will let you out early? They probably won't, but it's the only thing I can think of...

Old 09-27-2007, 02:59 AM

111 posts, read 226,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jco View Post
If you signed, you need to pay for the rest of the rental term. Can you call the landlord and ask if they will let you out early? They probably won't, but it's the only thing I can think of...
I don't know if it's Arizona or Federal law but there is a stipulation in the law somewhere that if you get a job transfer they have to terminate your lease. I have a friend who has relocated back & forth between Phoenix and other cities about every 2 years for the past decade and he gets out of his lease every time for that reason.

Old 09-27-2007, 05:48 AM

27,343 posts, read 27,395,534 times
I think someone once told me that too, that certain stipulations can be valid reason for breaking a lease.
You dont know of anyone who can take over that lease, for the rest of the period? You can advertise in Craigslist for such a person, there are a lot of ads in the rental section there and you might just find someone who only wants a short term lease...i.e., just a few months or something that might fill that void.
These days its almost impossible to rent anything without leases, but few, I mean very few, landlords will still do so.
I hope you are able to solve that issue, keep us posted.

Old 09-27-2007, 07:20 AM

461 posts, read 1,809,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirwinston73 View Post
I don't know if it's Arizona or Federal law but there is a stipulation in the law somewhere that if you get a job transfer they have to terminate your lease. I have a friend who has relocated back & forth between Phoenix and other cities about every 2 years for the past decade and he gets out of his lease every time for that reason.
There is no such federal law, but it may be an Arizona law. If it's not an Arizona law, then it may just be a clause written into the lease. Most people do not read their lease before signing, assuming it is a "standard" form of some sort. ALWAYS read EVERYTHING before you sign, and if there's some legal mumble-jumble that you don't understand, ASK!!!! On a side note, ANY lease can be amended to suit your needs (BEFORE you sign). If you ever think you could be in a situation that may need you to "break" your lease early, talk to the landlord BEFORE signing and negotiate with the landlord. Maybe you'll have to pay two or three more month's rent in order to break your lease, or forfeit your deposit, but anything is better than having to continue to pay for the full term of the lease when you don't even live there! I don't have any experience with AZ courts when it comes to leases, but most courts are not sympathetic to people trying to break their leases, whatever the reason may be, and tend to side with the landlords in these cases.

Talk to your landlord NOW. Don't put it off. The more notice you can give to your landlord, the more cooperative he might be. And don't think that because you're moving out of state that he won't be able to find you or sue you. It's way to easy to find people today. As long as you're served, the landlord can get a judgment against you. And once the landlord gets the judgment, and if you don't pay, the next step will be garnishing your wages.

Good luck to you!

Old 09-27-2007, 08:38 AM

3,632 posts, read 16,165,894 times
Put yourself in your landlords shoes. What if your tenet left the lease in two weeks and you had to pay the mortgage until it's rented? I sure wouldn't want to do that if I have a tenet with a lease in place.

The only way that you can move and get out of the lease legally is if it's in the lease that way. Be responsible and honor your agreement somehow.

Old 09-27-2007, 08:40 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,224,761 times
You are stuck unless you can find a suitable replacement tenant. Typically the landlord will charge you until someone else rents the place. In the case of professionally managed apartments, it might be a month or two, but with a private owner-landlord there is little chance you will find someone. On the other hand, with a private owner, they don't have the attorneys or the money to go after you if you walk. Maybe they can damage your credit but probably not. It's not honest or morally correct to do so, but I suspect you will be able to stiff your landlord without any consequences to you.

Old 09-27-2007, 08:45 AM

1,929 posts, read 5,917,730 times
I suggest you read the AZ Landlord Tenant Act. Those are the laws that you have to live by.

Old 09-27-2007, 02:19 PM

443 posts, read 2,135,612 times
From what I've heard it will cost them more money going after you so they will just drop it. I'm not saying breaking a lease is an ok thing to do but it seems you have no choice.
Best of luck to you.

Old 09-27-2007, 02:29 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,698,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbnjbound View Post
i dont have any way to pay my rent...i have a job lined up in a different state and need to leave arizona in two weeks to start!...please help me in finding out how to get out of my rental agreement...it is a house that i rented from a private owner.....................please give me some advice on how to get out of here without having to pay the rest of the rental term!!!.................................help...... ......help.............thank you all for your advice!
Before you press the panic button, Tbnjbound . . . try contacting the Landlord or Rental Agent and explain your situation.

Your may be pleasantly surprised at the outcome . . . THINK POSITIVE!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
View detailed profiles of: