Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 10:40 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,863,698 times

Advertisements

I need advice on breaking a lease here in AZ. I have developed very severe asthma in Yuma. I have been able to pinpoint the fact that the heavy aerial pesticide spraying is a trigger for my very severe asthma attacks. My doctor seems to be slow to recommend moving but has said that I might need an environment change. I have kept every receipt where I have been to the doctor for my asthma. I also have a statement from the emergency room that says I was there for an acute asthma attack. I do know that my asthma is much worse in Yuma than anywhere else. I don't have any severe symptoms once I leave Yuma. Now of course there is the whole job hunt that I need to embark upon and I will need to pray for a teaching job someplace else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 06:59 AM

443 posts, read 2,134,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebelt1234 View Post
I need advice on breaking a lease here in AZ. I have developed very severe asthma in Yuma. I have been able to pinpoint the fact that the heavy aerial pesticide spraying is a trigger for my very severe asthma attacks. My doctor seems to be slow to recommend moving but has said that I might need an environment change. I have kept every receipt where I have been to the doctor for my asthma. I also have a statement from the emergency room that says I was there for an acute asthma attack. I do know that my asthma is much worse in Yuma than anywhere else. I don't have any severe symptoms once I leave Yuma. Now of course there is the whole job hunt that I need to embark upon and I will need to pray for a teaching job someplace else.
Try the medical route and if that doesn't work you have to either decide to just up and leave or stick it out. I don't think breaking a lease is always a good decision but you gottta do what you gotta do. The apartment probably won't go after you or your credit since it would cost them more to, but just except that if you break it and they go after you, you'll have to deal with that. Best of luck to you.

Old 01-16-2009, 11:48 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfw1979 View Post
Try the medical route and if that doesn't work you have to either decide to just up and leave or stick it out. I don't think breaking a lease is always a good decision but you gottta do what you gotta do. The apartment probably won't go after you or your credit since it would cost them more to, but just except that if you break it and they go after you, you'll have to deal with that. Best of luck to you.
As you stated.

The OP's health is more important than any lease...........besides: if the landlord rents out the place quickly I see no issues.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:08 PM

453 posts, read 1,627,831 times
I went to break a lease on the internet here in AZ, they are located in Tempe and for less than one months rent, they get you out of your lease. Look up breaking leases in AZ and you will come across their site, call them, they work wonders.

Old 01-16-2009, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfw1979 View Post
I think I am going to have to break my lease. When I leave Yuma for like the holidays and stuff, I can always reduce my need for medication. Here in Yuma, I am on so much medication that my body can hardly stand it. My doctor wants me to do nebulizer treatments 4 times a day, take my controller medicine, I also have a rescue inhaler, and 3 allergy medicines. I can only do at most 2 nebulizer treatments a day because it speeds up my heart rate so much. I am also being evaluated for Xolair injections which is a medicine I can't afford. I might possibly have 100 to 300 dollar copay per month. I am a teacher. I am praying I don't qualify for Xolair. My body just can't handle any more meds. I do know that anytime I am near the fields my chest gets real tight and I can't breathe. I also know that the further I am away from the fields, I feel 100% better and can even stop using some of my inhalers.

Old 01-16-2009, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebelt1234 View Post
I think I am going to have to break my lease. When I leave Yuma for like the holidays and stuff, I can always reduce my need for medication. Here in Yuma, I am on so much medication that my body can hardly stand it. My doctor wants me to do nebulizer treatments 4 times a day, take my controller medicine, I also have a rescue inhaler, and 3 allergy medicines. I can only do at most 2 nebulizer treatments a day because it speeds up my heart rate so much. I am also being evaluated for Xolair injections which is a medicine I can't afford. I might possibly have 100 to 300 dollar copay per month. I am a teacher. I am praying I don't qualify for Xolair. My body just can't handle any more meds. I do know that anytime I am near the fields my chest gets real tight and I can't breathe. I also know that the further I am away from the fields, I feel 100% better and can even stop using some of my inhalers.
You have your answer: if you told your landlord flat out that you need to leave and he squawks-----------not your problem.

Old 01-17-2009, 12:45 PM

39,072 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
You have your answer: if you told your landlord flat out that you need to leave and he squawks-----------not your problem.
Huh? Breaking a lease is a problem unless the landlord agrees. Often, they take a month's rent as "liquidated damages". They don't have to though unless the lease agreement calls for that. You are at their "mercy", so make your case with the landlord and decide how best to move forward.

Old 01-17-2009, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Huh? Breaking a lease is a problem unless the landlord agrees. Often, they take a month's rent as "liquidated damages". They don't have to though unless the lease agreement calls for that. You are at their "mercy", so make your case with the landlord and decide how best to move forward.
One month's rent as you described is fair.

Some years ago I broke my lease on a place in Tucson: I told the landlord that either I leave on my own volition or he would need to evict me for non payment of rent. I was unemployed at the time and could only find a decent paying job in Phx. Needless to say: I told the guy to keep my security deposit--------which was equal to a full month's rent.

Old 01-17-2009, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
One month's rent as you described is fair.

Some years ago I broke my lease on a place in Tucson: I told the landlord that either I leave on my own volition or he would need to evict me for non payment of rent. I was unemployed at the time and could only find a decent paying job in Phx. Needless to say: I told the guy to keep my security deposit--------which was equal to a full month's rent.
I might have to tell my landlord to keep my security deposit. Hopefully, when the time comes to move, that is all I will have to do. I do have a lot of receipts from doctors and the emergency room that should tell them that I am not lying about my asthma being a tough problem here in Yuma.

Old 01-17-2009, 06:29 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Of course, your health is more important then remaining... sometimes, situations come up and we have to make the best of it.

NO ONE can force you to stay...

The only question is how much will it cost you to move before the lease is up?

Several Options

Find someone to take over your lease if permitted.

Sublet if permitted, but you are still responsible

Negotiate a dollar amount to break lease

Move in the middle of the night and let the chips fall where they may... not recommended, but it happens.

Take steps to improve indoor air quality... Pesticides are used just about everywhere.

Good Luck with your move and I hope an amicable solution can be found,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona