Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 11:31 PM

19 posts, read 51,094 times

Advertisements

I know what the actual temps are, for example 24 days in July 2010 were 100+ and even up to 109, but how does that relate to real life? I always here about "dry heat" and not sure how cloudy summer is in Kingman either. Of course it depends on each person, but if reading this please reply saying how it affects you. Do you have a "no outside" routine for afternoons? Does a/c run non stop all summer? Is it like breathing oven air?
I live in Pueblo West where we get 100+ but not as often and July is typically 20 days at 95+ and 1 week of 100+ but we are at 4500' elevation and that makes suns rays intense so kinda wondering if a 95 at 4500' is equivalent to 100 at lower 3333' level? Maybe it is just me but around 4000 seemed to be where elevation starts taking noticeable affect for sun and oxygen.
Thanks in advance.

Would also be interested in opinions on dust. Where we live now you can literally see dust outside door in beam of yardlight appearing like fine snow flakes and without anything moving to stir dust up. And with windows closed will get dust on shelves in about 3 days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2011, 08:16 AM

1,552 posts, read 6,473,965 times
KDOG will need to jump in and spit some numbers for you. I don't think the heat is so bad cools off great at night. Elevation is around 3500'
But my outdoor activities are not as extreme as during the cooler months. 6-8 hour hikes are more enjoyable during the winter and spring.
A pool makes life easier to come home to and cool off a bit.

Old 03-13-2011, 11:11 AM

yeah KDOG has lots of good posts out there, but I haven't been able to find specific info on temps and how it affects in day to day life in Kingman.
I lived in Iowa where it gets very hot very cold and very humid and was thinking a good comparison would be adding temp with dew point??? Also would be good to hear from someone who has lived in dry heat and humid heat. I have but my dry heat is at 4500' and the sun is just super intense. It can literally feel 20-30 degrees different from shade to sun. For example just the other day I was sitting in sun on porch on a 62 degree day and the side of my body getting sun felt sweaty, baking hot (tanning weather) and the shady side of body felt chilly like I needed a jacket or long sleeves. If all else fails we may have to simply wait until July, take a trip to Kingman, and hope it is during hot weather.

Old 03-13-2011, 11:13 AM

are there days or time of day or certain temp where you won't go out to hike, golf, or etc.??

Old 03-13-2011, 11:22 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,159,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyzur View Post
If all else fails we may have to simply wait until July, take a trip to Kingman, and hope it is during hot weather.
If you visit in July, you can be certain to experience hot weather!

Old 03-13-2011, 02:39 PM

13,211 posts, read 21,822,364 times
Howdy Kyzur, and welcome to the asylum. I ride a road bicycle almost every day in the summer. I leave around 7:00 AM, and get home by 9:00. So the heat doesn't stifle any of my activities. I actually love it. It's mostly a very dry heat, except for the monsoon season when there's a bit of humidity. Even then, it's nothing like back east or the midwest. So it really depends on the person. For some folks anything over 80 is too hot. You seem to have a pretty good handle on the average high temps. You can go 10 miles out of town up Mt. Hualapai and the temps are 20 degrees cooler. There are some fabulous hikes up there too.

Old 03-13-2011, 03:09 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,323,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyzur View Post
yeah KDOG has lots of good posts out there, but I haven't been able to find specific info on temps and how it affects in day to day life in Kingman.
I lived in Iowa where it gets very hot very cold and very humid and was thinking a good comparison would be adding temp with dew point??? Also would be good to hear from someone who has lived in dry heat and humid heat. I have but my dry heat is at 4500' and the sun is just super intense. It can literally feel 20-30 degrees different from shade to sun. For example just the other day I was sitting in sun on porch on a 62 degree day and the side of my body getting sun felt sweaty, baking hot (tanning weather) and the shady side of body felt chilly like I needed a jacket or long sleeves. If all else fails we may have to simply wait until July, take a trip to Kingman, and hope it is during hot weather.
I haven't spent much time in Kingman in the summer but I have spent considerable time around Tucson/Sierra Vista (similar altitude to Kingman). I've also lived in NoDak (a year & a half) and SW Michigan (5 years) so I've got a pretty fair feel for how the summers FEEL in area in question compared to the Midwest and I can tell you that you will likely find Kingman much easier to deal with than Iowa. Yeah it DOES get hot, but - just as they say - the lower humidity makes it much easier to deal with than one would expect if one were just looking at the temps alone. Phoenix can be very brutal but Kingman should be pretty manageable.

Ken

Last edited by LordBalfor; 03-13-2011 at 03:23 PM..

Old 03-13-2011, 08:52 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,058,801 times
as with anyplace not within a few miles of an ocean, temp swings widely winter to summer.....and with the low humidity in Arizona, temp swings widely day to night...cools quickly, warms quickly....yes, big diff between shade and sunny areas....July and August are much more humid and so there's not as much cooling at night, but much nicer than Phx area.....May and June are the hottest and driest months, but it cools nicely at night.....no daylight savings time in most of Arizona, so the sun comes up very early and it warms very quickly.....

Old 03-14-2011, 04:28 PM

Thanks all for helpful info. If I had ever spent some summer in Phoenix that would surely be a good comparison sounds like as "not as bad as Phoenix" seems to be a common comment about Kingman summer temps. We currently live in a somewhat desert climate with big swing from day to night (outside water bowl froze last night yet almost 70 today) so understand how that is. Really interesting about 20 degree drop simply by going up to Mt Hualapi. Did I understand the previous post right, that there is no daylight savings time in Kingman or Arizona? That would be sweeeeeeeeeet. Very tired of that game with the clock and spouse really does not enjoy it as having grown up without it.

Old 03-14-2011, 05:39 PM

13,211 posts, read 21,822,364 times
Correct, no daylight savings time change in Arizona.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona