Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2012, 04:01 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,723,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
This is tragic. A little boy, representative of so many, could be with his family. Holding children hostage because of political differences should just plain be against the law.
What law? Being human. Being decent.

The situation their sounds far worse than the sabre rattling that I first suspected. But then really, what was done with that woman who sent her son back to Russia with a one way ticket?

Was she held up as an example? She should have been. Do I care what problems he may have had . Not one bit. It was their responsibility to find appropriate treatment for him.

The very fact that I don't know her name, and unlike Casey Anthony, she is not a house hold word, speaks to how serious the United States took this incident.
Her name is Torry Hansen and I agree that she should have been charged with criminal neglect and abandonment. So far the only thing done to her was that she has been ordered to pay $150k in child support (of which she will likely never pay a dime).

Russian boy abandoned: Judge orders U.S. mother who sent Artem Saveliev to pay child support after she sent him back | Mail Online
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2012, 09:27 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,083,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linmora View Post
It certainly is sad. My daughter was almost ready to go off to the other orphanage when she turned 4. Fortunately, we were able to adopt her with 4 months to spare. How heartbreaking for this particular family and not being able to bring home the younger brother.

It does seem like Putin has a more moderate approach from what I was reading. Let's hope that calmer heads prevail. At least let the waiting families complete their adoptions before closing it off if it does happen.
Did you daughter have special needs? Usually, only those with special needs are transferred to the institution for 4ish to 18ish at 4. Kids without special needs (depending on region) usually go from baby house to older child orphanage at school age. If they get transferred at 4, that usually means there is a step between baby house and school age one.

Old 12-25-2012, 12:01 PM

1,515 posts, read 2,273,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
Did you daughter have special needs? Usually, only those with special needs are transferred to the institution for 4ish to 18ish at 4. Kids without special needs (depending on region) usually go from baby house to older child orphanage at school age. If they get transferred at 4, that usually means there is a step between baby house and school age one.
Nope, just older kid orphanage which I'm sure would have complicated things had she turned 4 during our waiting time. Fortunately things worked out.

Old 12-26-2012, 07:02 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,062,587 times
Russian Lawmakers Pass Ban on Adoptions to US - ABC News

Old 12-26-2012, 07:06 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,395,538 times
baby buying and selling is a sleazy biz. in the case of russia its a political shakedown to get concessions from the usa. but like they tell us here about pets get a shelter dog. we got lots of kids that need placement here. probably why so many reach oversease is all too often the birth parents like to keep strings on the adopted family with the option for further concessions later on from the rich adopting parents.

Old 12-26-2012, 07:39 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,062,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
baby buying and selling is a sleazy biz. in the case of russia its a political shakedown to get concessions from the usa.

VERY TRUE

probably why so many reach oversease is all too often the birth parents like to keep strings on the adopted family with the option for further concessions later on from the rich adopting parents.
NOT TRUE AT ALL.- Even in open adoptions I have never heard of this. This would indeed be baby selling and most adoptive parents are aware this would negate any adoption.

Old 12-26-2012, 07:46 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,083,596 times
I'm so sickened by this. These orphans deserve families. Also, families who have passed court are included in the ban. Therefore, the child/children are legally children of the American parents, but Russia will not issue passports to these children. Many parents are frantically trying to figure out a way to get their legal children to be able to come home.

Old 12-26-2012, 08:19 PM

3,102 posts, read 5,616,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linmora View Post
So why are there so many children waiting in orphanages over there in Russia turned down by Russian adoptive parents? They had their chance. If the majority of kids could find adoptive homes within the Russian system, great. Unfortunately reality says otherwise. That is why they become available for adoption to foreigners, and just not Americans.

If your attitude is one that the majority of Russians share about their children adopted to Americans, I truly feel sorry for you.
Who told you that so many Russian children rejected Russian adoptive parents? Most of the adopted children, regardless of whether they are healthy or sick, adopt the of Russian families. As for American parents. No American has adopted a sick child. YOU know that in the U.S. in two times as many children are children - homes than in Russia? So why do not you are adopting them? I want to answer that question?

Old 12-26-2012, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
I have a relative who adopted from Russia, and her daughter most certainly IS an American citizen. She has a blue US passport, that is different in no way from any other American passport.

Adopted children are not treated any differently than any other citizen born abroad.
I believe you, but you do not understand me! Why the death of children who have been killed or ....... perpetrators have not condemned? If it would have been an American child, these parents would sit all his life in prison.

Old 12-26-2012, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
[/b]

You are mistaken. Children who are adopted by American parents become American citizens as soon as they touch American soil, and have all the rights and privileges of any other American citizens (other than running for president, oddly enough).

Children adopted from certain countries retain dual citizenship until they turn eighteen, at which time they must choose their nationality.

"Many cases of child abuse?" I think you'll find that the percentage of children adopted from Russia who are abused by their adoptive parents is far, far lower than the percentage of children in the general population who are abused. In both cases, it's deplorable and any child who is abused should be promptly removed from any situation which endangers him or her.

I just read that Putin wants to increase birthrates in Russia, so that the average number of children in each family reaches three. What is he doing to encourage Russian citizens to adopt the thousands and thousands of children, many with special needs or older children, who are currently living in Russia's many orphanages and institutions? Until he does more to help these existing Russian children who are in desperate need of families and homes, why encourage families, many of whom are struggling financially, to have more biological children than they are able to support comfortably??
You also do not understand me. No, they become U.S. citizens only on paper, not more. If this were the case, the perpetrators of such ill-treatment would be sitting in jail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption