Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2012, 08:43 AM

3,102 posts, read 5,618,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Some of the differences in terms of adoption between the US and the former USSR, including Russia have to do with family size.

Families of one child are not uncommon in Russia. And not because the families can't have more children - they don't want more.

In the US, families that are "intact" and have decided to have only one child are not the norm. ( I do not mean that they are "abnormal" but that they do not occur frequently.

At this point we have two children. As compared to my children's friend's and my fiends families, our family is small. Three or four seem the average.

An American family with one or two children may be very open to adopting more children. A Russian family? Not so much. But with families of 3 or four living in 3 ROOM flats, much of this is understandable.
In the USSR, 6-5 children is was normal. Today it is much less. But the is 2 children. (often) one child too often. 8 and more rare but there. I have a very large family. I have three aunts and one uncle (for a total of 5) on the father.(The line is the father) By line mother 3 (one uncle and one aunt) They all have 3 - 4 children (that is my brothers and sisters) in my family - I have two brothers and one sister, and now 3 more children. No matter how bad or good life was now, yet there are families who have 8-9 children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2012, 12:09 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,898,488 times
Just quickly dropping by to express my extreme sadness at the news of this day. I grieve for the families who already love the children whom they hoped to make their own, and most of all, for the children...who will now wait, and wait, and wait for families, be they Russian or American or of other nationalities, who will never come. Many of those ceaselessly waiting children have special needs, and so are highly unlikely to be of interest to Russians.

The "Washington Post" reports that in the twenty-year period that 19 children who were adopted from Russia by Americans perished, over 1,220 children adopted in Russia by Russians died. From the same source, over 100,000 children currently live in Russian orphanages (institutions were not mentioned so I don't know if this figure includes the many kids with special needs who live in adult-level mental institutions in Russia). Of these 100,000 children, over 80% are "social orphans", whose parents are living but who do not have custody of their children, either by choice or by relinquishing their children to the Russian government, or by losing custody due to neglect and/or abuse.

What a tragically sad day this is. Putin has the blood of the innocents on his hands.

Old 12-28-2012, 12:42 PM

14,477 posts, read 20,652,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post

'Mom' Loses Russian Girl Weeks From Adoption - Yahoo! News

Very sad indeed. I know a couple who looked into adoption. I don't think it was Russia but it may have been Romania or some other former Russian territory.

Old 12-28-2012, 01:18 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,086,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linmora View Post
I guess that it is all a moot point now since Putin signed the bill. Sad day for all these children in the orphanages. My heart also goes out to the children in limbo---46 of them I believe? Let's see if Russia rises to the challange and finds good homes for all the children in the orphanages.

Sheena, does any of his impact you? I thought that you were looking at a Russian adoption or was that a different region? Mind is fuzzy from lack of coffee.
The state department is trying to help these families out, but Russia is refusing to issue exit visas.

We all know that these children (particularly the ones with special needs) are not going to find Russian homes.

Old 12-28-2012, 04:07 PM

26,788 posts, read 22,549,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyKarast View Post
In the USSR, 6-5 children is was normal.
No it was not ( if we are talking about 1960-70ies at least.)
More like 3-4 children max in the rural areas, where people lived in houses. In big cities 1 child per family was a norm for "intelligentsia," workers families would splurge sometimes for 2. But having a child was a priority for Russian women, ( and every woman could afford a child,) so the birth rates were stable during Soviet times.

Quote:
Today it is much less. But the is 2 children. (often) one child too often. 8 and more rare but there. I have a very large family. I have three aunts and one uncle (for a total of 5) on the father.(The line is the father) By line mother 3 (one uncle and one aunt) They all have 3 - 4 children (that is my brothers and sisters) in my family - I have two brothers and one sister, and now 3 more children. No matter how bad or good life was now, yet there are families who have 8-9 children.
I wonder how many such families?
You do realize that for 120,000 children currently available for adoption in Russia, there are only 18,000 families that signed up to become adoptive parents?
Putin is a disaster for Russia ( and since I suspect he won't calm down) - for the rest of the world. He ( and his yes-men) are a very destructive force.

I suspect things will have to become much worse before they'll get any better.

Old 12-28-2012, 08:15 PM

Father's family consisted of five children.No. Putin is not being. Always the first step makes the U.S. government, the Russian making a retaliatory move.The U.S. government has consistently come up with than to influence Russia. And if it cancels one law, immediately takes another of the same type law.

Old 12-28-2012, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
The state department is trying to help these families out, but Russia is refusing to issue exit visas.

We all know that these children (particularly the ones with special needs) are not going to find Russian homes.
Why are you so sure of that? Statistics which will indicate that American parents are sick children from Russia?

Old 12-28-2012, 08:31 PM

86 thousand orphans had been arranged in the family in 2006.
77 thousand - for adoption, and guardianship in 2007.
Here is the data from Wikipedia, which also says that 70 percent of children receive exactly Russians. and 30 percent foreigners. But I think this year the percentage of 70 percent outgrowth.У�ыновление — Википеди�
But it should be noted that there was a time when a lot of children were returned back to the orphanage * interesting fact that the children were initiated( requezt)), and that Russian families. Foreigners only one child.

Old 12-28-2012, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyKarast View Post
86 thousand orphans had been arranged in the family in 2006.
77 thousand - for adoption, and guardianship in 2007.
Here is the data from Wikipedia, which also says that 70 percent of children receive exactly Russians. and 30 percent foreigners. But I think this year the percentage of 70 percent outgrowth.У�ыновление — Википеди�
I checked out your Wikipedia link...

"In many regions of Russia the families that are adopting children get a one-time payment from the local budget, that might reach up to 300,000 rubles. In some regions the payments are planned to be increased up to 500,000 rubles and in some regions the adoptive families receive the housing certificates ( i.e. they become entitled to apartment ownership.)

The material compensation might bring doubts regarding the true motives behind the adoption."

Усыновление — Википедия

That might explain a thing or two why 1220 adopted children died in Russia within the last fifteen years
( and it might explain why some Russians think that Americans gain financially with these adoptions in their country, because they think that they are entitled to financial gains as well...)

Old 12-28-2012, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post

The last I've heard is that these 46 children will not be allowed to leave, but they will be first in line to be adopted by Russians.

Only a separate group of 6 children, who were already approved by the court will be allowed to leave.
It's a sad day indeed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption