Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 11:36 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,418,848 times

Advertisements

If youre using Computer Associates (CA) antivirus it can have that effect. It did for me. Turn off the firewall and see if it helps/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2007, 03:43 PM

2,180 posts, read 5,423,977 times
I don't use CA. And I really hate the idea of turning off my firewall to browse the internet. Too risky these days.

Old 09-19-2007, 12:52 AM

8,954 posts, read 4,273,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCRob View Post
I don't use CA. And I really hate the idea of turning off my firewall to browse the internet. Too risky these days.
Then perhaps customizing it to trust city-data would help?

Old 09-19-2007, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markablue View Post
Then perhaps customizing it to trust city-data would help?
I'm too stupid to think about that. And too stupid to know how to do it. I use the Windows Firewall that comes with XP and I don't see anyway of customizing it to trust C-D.

Old 09-19-2007, 01:13 PM

3,301 posts, read 9,194,072 times
Quote:
I'm too stupid to think about that. And too stupid to know how to do it. I use the Windows Firewall that comes with XP
The Firewall that comes with windows is NOT enough protection. It's like trusting a flyswatter.

You really need a TRUE A/V and a TRUE Firewall. Both can be had for free.
Check here for suggestions: https://www.city-data.com/forum/1226908-post1.html
This section: Then make sure you have an anti-virus and firewall. And as usual, the best ones we recommend are free ones.

Liz

Old 09-24-2007, 09:59 AM

30,382 posts, read 51,986,719 times
To add my two cents... I use Firefox, and have also experienced many connection problems. But I strongly suspect they're due to my phone line, which always has issues (static, interruptions, etc.). So you might want to explore that possibility, before blaming it on the browser.

Old 09-25-2007, 10:09 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,903,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCRob View Post

I had to shut down Firefox and restart it to get the site to come back up.
I’m also using Firefox and have the same problem, however I don’t close and restart FF. All I have to do is click for the “home†site and then click the C-D again to start a session. C-D remembers who I am and I only lose a couple of minutes.

I thought the problem was at my end with DSL, however it only occurs whenever I’m on C-D.

Old 09-26-2007, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernlady5464 View Post
The Firewall that comes with windows is NOT enough protection. It's like trusting a flyswatter.

You really need a TRUE A/V and a TRUE Firewall. Both can be had for free.
Check here for suggestions: https://www.city-data.com/forum/1226908-post1.html
This section: Then make sure you have an anti-virus and firewall. And as usual, the best ones we recommend are free ones.

Liz
Actually, I haven't encountered any problems using the Windows Firewall.

I've had it on and run my computer through all the tests at Shields Up! and it consistently passes with flying colors. Using other firewalls gives me the same results, so the Windows Firewall can't be too bad. In the past, I've tried almost all of them - from Norton, to McAfee, to ZoneAlarm (both the free version, as well as the full security suite I paid for), to Comodo - and I had more problems with them locking up my computer and causing glitches, or interfering with various other programs, and I finally got fed up with it and ditched them.

As for the rest of the regular maintenance, I'm pretty diligent about all that stuff. But I appreciate that you posted that link and took the time to give us that information! I'm sure there are a lot of people that will find it very useful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
To add my two cents... I use Firefox, and have also experienced many connection problems. But I strongly suspect they're due to my phone line, which always has issues (static, interruptions, etc.). So you might want to explore that possibility, before blaming it on the browser.
I have cable broadband. I avoid DSL if I can. More often than not it has given me too many headaches. I know they say DSL is a dedicated line, with no (or little) fluctuation in download speeds, but I had nothing but a major headache when I tried using it through my local phone company. There were times when I could connect beautifully and get very fast speeds, but it was usually at 2:00 in the morning. During the day, and especially in the evening, there were times when I couldn't even connect. I spent too much time with tech support who told me there were problems with my phone lines, but that couldn't possibly have been the problem since I was able to connect perfectly at some times, while not at all during other times. The filters were on my phone lines and everything. When I moved to where I live now, I thought I'd try DSL again, but the very same day they came out to install it, I didn't even connect at 1mbps!! The phone line was a brand new line that THEY installed from the demarcation point outside - and on that very same day, my service was lousy! I was livid, and immediately tore the thing out (figuratively speaking). Even when I had DSL before, the fastest speed I ever got with it was NOTHING compared to what I consistently get with my cable broadband. Unless there is unusually heavy traffic - which is RARE - I consistently get speeds of OVER 6mbps! And that's considered on the slower end of the cable network where I live. If I want premium, it would take me up to 10mbps. But I don't need to be THAT fast (though it would be nice ).

So nope - it's not my connection. Besides, I connect to other sites with no problems whatsoever at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
I’m also using Firefox and have the same problem, however I don’t close and restart FF. All I have to do is click for the “home” site and then click the C-D again to start a session. C-D remembers who I am and I only lose a couple of minutes.

I thought the problem was at my end with DSL, however it only occurs whenever I’m on C-D.
Yeah, I've tried going to my homepage and then back to C-D, but it just doesn't work for some strange reason. As I've said, it's only mildly annoying. Not a big issue. Just don't understand why it happens. Though I will say it has suddenly started happening more these past couple of days now.

Old 09-26-2007, 11:24 AM

3,301 posts, read 9,194,072 times
Quote:
I have cable broadband. I avoid DSL if I can
There is a difference between the two. DSL vs. Cable Broadband Internet

Quote:
Actually, I haven't encountered any problems using the Windows Firewall.
Firewalls: Firewall Reviews, Best Firewall

Quote:
A firewall protects a computer against unauthorized access by hackers, hijackers, nefarious websites and malicious software. All firewalls, except the one integrated into Windows XP, also block threats already on your computer from communicating with the perpetrator or a third party so that hackers can't gain access to your personal data or computer. Hardware and/or software firewalls are essential components of computer security.
Bolding is mine. That's why I always suggest a second firewall. Liz

Old 09-26-2007, 12:44 PM

Quote:
There is a difference between the two. DSL vs. Cable Broadband Internet
Yes, I'm aware of the differences. Believe me, Liz, I do appreciate that you take the time to post all this information - but honestly, I've been using the internet since 1999, and over the years I have done quite a bit of research on all this stuff myself. I truly believe cable is the much better product.

Quote:
Firewalls: Firewall Reviews, Best Firewall

Bolding is mine. That's why I always suggest a second firewall. Liz
What can I say in addition to what I wrote above? I've tried numerous firewalls - from paid to free versions - and I don't like the effect they have on my computer. I've found the Windows Firewall does just as good of a job as they did at keeping hackers out of my system. And as for anything already ON my computer - there isn't anything. I've checked, and run various scans. I'm fine. Besides, if the utilities are doing their jobs as they say they do, that shouldn't be a problem anyway.

Truly, for what it's worth, I just tried to click on the "Rep" icon and was told the "server was too busy to respond". So I highly suspect that is the real problem in all this. Perhaps it has nothing at all to do with Firefox after all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum