Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 11:09 AM

3,300 posts, read 9,193,012 times

Advertisements

Take it down to the plain vanilla version of Firefox if that is not what you are using. Most people add something. If you are, make sure you have the latest version. Firefox/2.0.0.6 Another thing to do is clear your cache. Go to Tools>Clear Private Data> and then leave checked ONLY the items you want to clear. If you leave all of them checked, you lose the passwords it has remembered so far, your web history, etc. All you want to do is clear your cache.

There is another option and it may not have anything to do with Firefox itself.

Check this post. Liz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2007, 11:12 AM

2,180 posts, read 5,423,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCRob View Post
No. It just does nothing. I keep a Bookmarks Toolbar at the top of the browser and have C-D and Google (among others) in that toolbar for quick access. When this happens, I can click on one of those other shortcuts (for example, Google) and I can go to that site. But while in Google, if I try to click on the C-D shortcut, it just doesn't do anything. I stay at the Google site and C-D doesn't come back up. That's when I have to completely close out Firefox and restart it.

I'll give it a few minutes the next time it happens to see if the site responds on its own, and will let you know the results.
Okay, it just happened again, right after I came to the site this afternoon. The first thing I did was go to My Settings, because I wanted to see if there were any new rep comments. When I saw there were, I tried to click on the thread title the comment was left for, and absolutely nothing happened. I waited for about 60 seconds, and then I got the following message:

I had to shut down Firefox and restart it to get the site to come back up.

Old 09-13-2007, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernlady5464 View Post
Take it down to the plain vanilla version of Firefox if that is not what you are using. Most people add something. If you are, make sure you have the latest version. Firefox/2.0.0.6 Another thing to do is clear your cache. Go to Tools>Clear Private Data> and then leave checked ONLY the items you want to clear. If you leave all of them checked, you lose the passwords it has remembered so far, your web history, etc. All you want to do is clear your cache.

Check this post. Liz
I'll get back to you on this a little later. I have to run out right now.

Old 09-13-2007, 12:25 PM

1,913 posts, read 8,910,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCRob View Post
Okay, it just happened again, right after I came to the site this afternoon. The first thing I did was go to My Settings, because I wanted to see if there were any new rep comments. When I saw there were, I tried to click on the thread title the comment was left for, and absolutely nothing happened. I waited for about 60 seconds, and then I got the following message:

I had to shut down Firefox and restart it to get the site to come back up.

That's exactly what was happening to me...I stopped using FF till I can find something better.
Someone else asked me about the add on's too...I have none as well...doesn't get much more vanilla than that.

I'll check back on this thread and see if anyone can come up with a solution...

Old 09-13-2007, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernlady5464 View Post

Check this post. Liz
Yes, I have FF 2.0.0.6. I strive to keep the version updated. Also clean my cache and other junk off my computer regularly. Doesn't help with this problem. And as I said, when this happens I am still able to go to other sites on the net without any problems. It's only when I try to access a different part of this site, or return to C-D after navigating away, that nothing happens.

Old 09-14-2007, 09:03 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,773,906 times
Just to add this tidbit of information: I am running Safari, and there are NO problems presenting. I did notice the C-D software upgrade, as a couple of features appear slightly different. But not in a problematic way.

Old 09-16-2007, 04:30 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,446,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Administrator View Post
WCRob, next time it happens try waiting a couple minutes instead of restarting Firefox. Please let me know if the site will start responding by itself. It will be helpful in trying to isolate the error (we think it might have to do with our firewall, not Firefox). Does it get stuck on "Connecting to..."?
I have had the connecting to issue with I.E. Seems like the request times out. Normally I just hit the refresh button and CD comes around again.

May or amy not be CD, My through put seems slow also, so may be on my end.

Old 09-16-2007, 06:07 PM

3,177 posts, read 2,746,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticthaw View Post
I have had the connecting to issue with I.E. Seems like the request times out. Normally I just hit the refresh button and CD comes around again.

May or amy not be CD, My through put seems slow also, so may be on my end.
Right, I think it's unrelated to the browser and it's probably on our end. It's sporadic and not everyone experiences it, so it's really hard to find a fix for it.

Old 09-16-2007, 07:25 PM

2,896 posts, read 6,637,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Administrator View Post
Right, I think it's unrelated to the browser and it's probably on our end. It's sporadic and not everyone experiences it, so it's really hard to find a fix for it.
I have a rare experience of C-D hanging up with FF and when it does I just rapidly click on whatever link I'm looking to get into several times and it usually rolls over within a couple of seconds. I have this same issue with only one other site I frequent and frankly it really doesn't bug me all that much.

Old 09-17-2007, 12:44 PM

It has been happening less frequently the past couple of days, so as I said above, it's only a tad annoying. Nothing over which I'm going to toss my computer out the window.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum