Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 12:30 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,042,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by noplacelikeWA View Post
The mountain can be very elusive ....
as Garrison Keillor mentioned a few yrs ago while doing a Seattle broadcast of Prairie Home Companion.

"Most PNW youths reach puberty before getting a glimpse pf Mt Rainier." (A rite of passage...")

Old 03-20-2007, 07:24 AM

388 posts, read 1,785,005 times
Hyperbole for the sake of humor, but funny none the less.

Once, an old Army buddy of mine was flown out to Seattle from New Orleans to do some consulting work. He'd been there for about ten days and asked me about "this mountain everybody talked about".

He hadn't seen it at all, so I picked him up and drove him up to Carbonado so he could get a close up view. He left four days later and I know that was the only opportunity to see the mountain on that trip.

Old 03-21-2007, 10:21 AM

73,009 posts, read 62,598,043 times
The reason Seattle is know for SAD is related to geography. Seattle is the most northern-located major city in the USA(outside of Alaska), on a higher latitude than Quebec City,Quebec(at almost 48 degrees north latitude). The northern location means the sub will set much earlier than most locations. I lived in the Seattle area when I was in kindergarten and I remember coming home afterschool and it was still light outside and then it quickly became dark outside(in a period of about 2 hours or so assuming I came home around 2:45 PM or 3PM). The short days followed by constant cloud cover can drive down serotonin levels.

Old 03-21-2007, 12:02 PM

51 posts, read 147,845 times
Default S.A.D. is bad in Alaska

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowXOR View Post
That is sad to hear. I'm looking for a place to settle for the long term and I don't want to be driven crazy (The Shining). I know it's not that bad but it does sound like it affects a lot of people around here.

I wonder how people do it in Alaska during those nights that last months (or I heard something like that, maybe I'm crazy).
I live in Anchorage,AK and must say that it is the cold more than the darkness that gets to me. I have been here almost nine years and have wanted to leave since about year three (my husband is from here). We actually get alot of sunshine even in winter but it is bitter cold. We are already at 12+hrs of daylight each day. The SAD issue is huge here! I think many people have "light" lamps in their homes, we try to take vacations in the winter (pull kids out of school) every year. I grew up in the Pacific Northwest so the rain doesn't bother me, but the cold, well it makes you very depressed sometimes. If it is too cold to take a walk and get exercise that is what gets to me. I'd take the Cali sun over this any day!

Old 03-21-2007, 12:13 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldswan View Post
I live in Anchorage,AK and must say that it is the cold more than the darkness that gets to me. I have been here almost nine years and have wanted to leave since about year three (my husband is from here). We actually get alot of sunshine even in winter but it is bitter cold. We are already at 12+hrs of daylight each day. The SAD issue is huge here! I think many people have "light" lamps in their homes, we try to take vacations in the winter (pull kids out of school) every year. I grew up in the Pacific Northwest so the rain doesn't bother me, but the cold, well it makes you very depressed sometimes. If it is too cold to take a walk and get exercise that is what gets to me. I'd take the Cali sun over this any day!
The cold doesn't bother me that much, especially when you compare it to 90 percent humidity and 95 degrees F. I used to live in Everett,WA and the cloudy days never bothered me one bit. I went outside anyway.

Old 03-21-2007, 01:25 PM
x4fscvdvd

n/a posts
I don't like the cold but heat bothers me a lot more, and humidity.

Old 03-21-2007, 03:16 PM

1,683 posts, read 2,707,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_evergreen View Post
The short days followed by constant cloud cover can drive down serotonin levels.
I agree with you. I didn't mind the gray short days as a young person but after a number of years I believe it depleted my serotonin. The cold and rain is not a deal-breaker for me (although it can be uncomfortable)- it's the lack of light.

Old 03-24-2007, 02:13 AM

61 posts, read 275,718 times
I am a brand new transplant, from sunny sunny Utah to dark and drizzly Bellingham. I've been here since September '06, so, basically sitting out a winter. For the record, I still love rain, clouds, and this area. WA is great.

But the SAD issue is very real. I didn't think it would be for me, but it's been very overwhelming. I was okay until about mid-December, at which point I became a hibernating bear and, even it being March, I am still in a daze. I keep looking at the forecast going, "When will it be sunny? Or at least not raining sideways in my face?" If you don't like rain, DON'T come here. And even if you do, just be ready for potential depression. I use a light therapy lamp and very much recommend it. (I take meds too, but I was on them before I came here.) In the desert I used to get a similar syndrome in the summers - depression from May-September, just *waiting* for it to cool down, and shouting for joy at the first summer storm.

For the holiday break, I had the great joy of leaving WA to a very snowy, blindingly bright, Utah Christmas. And LOVED it. I went outside at 5:00 p.m. and *there was still sunlight*!!!

I don't find it cold in WA. I think the temps are absolutely perfect. I really dig temps from 35-60F. I get pretty cranky if it's above 60.

Old 03-24-2007, 07:51 AM

5 posts, read 47,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowXOR View Post
That is sad to hear. I'm looking for a place to settle for the long term and I don't want to be driven crazy (The Shining). I know it's not that bad but it does sound like it affects a lot of people around here.

I wonder how people do it in Alaska during those nights that last months (or I heard something like that, maybe I'm crazy).
It all depends on where you live in WA, too. I live in Spokane, so we've less rain and more sun. I've never been affected by the rain when I lived in Seattle. I enjoy rain, and the problem you often have is that it's overcast. There are special lamps to help with seasonal depression. I find if I'm having problems with the rain, just going outside in a rain jacket and taking a walk will help.

My grandparents live on Whidbey Island, and they never have a problem, because of lots of windows and LOTS of time spent outside.

As for alaska, it really depends on where it is you live. Anchorage doesn't have that problem (Much), but towns up further north (Fairbanks) will have a month of darkness. But, it's made up by the month of no dark!

Old 03-24-2007, 10:04 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,826,111 times
Default Recommendation for SAD

I'm a psychologist and SAD is definitely real. I practiced in Seattle for 9 years before my family moved to Colorado for my husband's job and a search for sunnier weather. In Seattle, there were many gray damp months when at least half of my clients were struggling with mild to severe SAD.

A good book is, "When Your Body Gets The Blues." It is not specifically about SAD but many of the suggestions in the book help SAD sufferers to feel better.

Personally, I was fine with the weather until I became a parent. I felt really claustrophobic when trapped inside the house with two small children who wanted to visit the park but it just seemed too cold and wet to go. I really disliked taking huge towels with me to the park in an attempt to dry all the equipment. And the days when it became dark by 5 pm were frustrating because it would be dark when I went to work and dark when I drove home. If there was any sun break at all during the day, I would dash outside and stand there with my face pointed toward the sun to soak up all that I could.

If I ever move back to the Pacific Northwest, I will plan at least two vacations per year in sunny weather.

Ugh, just remembering those endless winters makes me appreciate Colorado's weather even more!

Topaz
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington