Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2007, 01:24 PM

5,475 posts, read 12,240,734 times

Advertisements

This is not always true. I did not move to the Pac NW with a "woe is me" attitude. In fact, I laughed off SAD and the fact that something like the weather could affect your mood. I grew up in Chicago and have traveled and lived in numerous states and countries while stationed in the military. I thought SAD was a state of mind and for whimps, much like I used to think about people who complained about allergies.

I can tell you that it is very real. Loving rain and cloudy weather when you live in an area where that is not a predominant weather pattern is one thing----living it every day for months on end is another. And if you are an outdoors person, then yes, it affects what you do outdoors and when you do it. And if you are a book, computer, inside person, you will become one moreso when you've weathered a winter or two.

I don't think it is about attitude at all. I was very excited to move to WA and never once thought about the weather or how it may affect my mood or how I live. But after living here, well I would retract that. Just the other day, I was noticing that some of the leaves are starting to change color and I found myself dreading the onset of fall because I know winter is behind. I have NEVER felt this way before about fall. In fact, it's always been my favorite season. Just the thought of another gray, winter is such a drag. Yes I love to camp and fish and hike and kayak and I shove all that in during our very short summers and yes, the beauty of WA can't be beat. However, you never know how this stuff will affect you. It sometimes creeps up on you suddenly. I don't think it's a mindset.

Just my .02
Cobolt

Old 09-11-2007, 02:21 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,696,911 times
I agree 100% with Cobolt

I never ever considered SAD when I moved here! I was a very positive perky person. And I loved rain and clouds and fall/winter time.

And it hit me like a trainwreck. My husband (then boyfriend) told it was mild weather. Had I done more research and found out that means 10 (sometimes 11) months of weather under 65 degrees - I would NOT have moved here.

Old 09-11-2007, 02:29 PM

69 posts, read 345,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ness View Post
To be honest....I think a lot of it is about mindset. If you go into into it worrying about being depressed and being affected then you probably will be. If you go into it thinking about enjoying the greenery, brisk temps, and jetting out to a local coffee shop to visit with a friend then you'll have a different experience.
What do the natives do? Other than think positive? Does anyone here use the lamp? Does it work? Would the heater-lamp-fireplace-vacation away be enough? What about one of those nice giant size murals of a tropical setting hung on the wall. *lol* Travel shows? *jk*

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't go into this thinking the worst, but I don't intend to be taken off guard either. One reoccuring theme here is that alot of people here didn't expect it to happen to them, and weren't even aware of what was going on until after the fact. I'm just wondering what I can do to minimize any problems.

I'm ok with the coffee shop thing - in fact it's one of the attractions. I'm also ok with 10 hour MMO runs and hiding under the blankets watching cable. I just need to understand what the ramifications healthwise of an arthritic or depression relapse might be, and if it's possible to combat them.

(I like that mural idea actually...)

Old 09-11-2007, 02:50 PM

307 posts, read 1,420,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyjuliek View Post
What do the natives do? Other than think positive? Does anyone here use the lamp? Does it work? Would the heater-lamp-fireplace-vacation away be enough? What about one of those nice giant size murals of a tropical setting hung on the wall. *lol* Travel shows? *jk*

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't go into this thinking the worst, but I don't intend to be taken off guard either. One reoccuring theme here is that alot of people here didn't expect it to happen to them, and weren't even aware of what was going on until after the fact. I'm just wondering what I can do to minimize any problems.

I'm ok with the coffee shop thing - in fact it's one of the attractions. I'm also ok with 10 hour MMO runs and hiding under the blankets watching cable. I just need to understand what the ramifications healthwise of an arthritic or depression relapse might be, and if it's possible to combat them.

(I like that mural idea actually...)
If you know you are prone to weather related depression I would think it would be smart to plan "recharge vacations" or a couple weeks in the winter when you go visit a friend in Florida etc. I suffer from summer/heat depression when it gets too hot where I live. I end up staying in side in the air in order not to feel suffocated. So....my solution. I go up to WA for a few weeks every summer. = ) I'm hoping to move there permanently but have to convince DH.

I think the heater-lamp-fireplace-vacation would be enough. I'd also add some forced time outside. Force yourself to get out and do things. The right clothing might help this be more comfortable. =)

Old 09-11-2007, 02:57 PM

What about bonfires/campfires? Is this possible? Or those patio fire things? Seems like it would be one way to get someone outside who still wanted to be warm and toasty. And make smores...

Old 09-11-2007, 05:21 PM

1,683 posts, read 2,704,775 times
People do have outdoor BBQs and firepits for bonfires- more out in the country. You can use a BBQ on your back deck all year in town, but it doesn't have the big fire effect!

Old 09-11-2007, 10:00 PM

7 posts, read 32,942 times
What's a "10 hour MMO run(s)?

Thanks

Old 09-11-2007, 10:14 PM

Nothing but a reference to the fact that we stay indoors much of our weekends and play a massively-multi-online video game. Rather than jump in the ocean 15 mins away. (It's freaking scary. P.S. Do you have sharks or jellyfish or alligators in your waters...) Perhaps I shouldn't have used the word "run." *lol* Most people assume it's some type of vigorous activity I'm not fond of. We use it as a gaming term.

Is Edmond / Kirkland considered the "country?" What about campgrounds, are they open all year long? And can you use fire there? Can you really get anywhere in Seattle in under a half hour like the books say, and thus, could I live in the outskirts and country as you mentioned, but have easy access to the city? We may be planning a trip to 'see' what it's like. I wonder what types of things we should incorporate.

Old 09-11-2007, 10:44 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,043,053 times
Ok, I think this thread has run its course for now.

ladyjuliek, I'm going to create a new thread for your questions in the second paragraph of your last post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington