Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 06:42 PM

388 posts, read 1,785,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by M TYPE X View Post
Top metro areas in the US for winter depression are Chicago, Cleveland, Detroit, and Seattle. Source: WSJ
In the case of Cleveland it's probably not the weather.

All you Buckeyes relax.It was an attempt to bring a little levity to the thread...I have nothing against Cleveland.

Old 03-14-2007, 06:58 PM

388 posts, read 1,785,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl72 View Post
I'm from So Cal - Santa Monica, and then moved to Sacramento (and yes, I loved it there) I moved up here 3 years ago. I was one of those people who loved drizzly rainy days and clouds but now I might have SAD? I don't know but I'm going to some DRs and a therapist now, and they want me to take 5HTP. SO to live here I have to be drugged and in therapy - NICE! I want out - but it's hard convincing my husband. It would really do a number on our family

PLsu people don't interact with other here - it's gets cold and NO ONE goes out. It's very very lonely here - and very very confining. I'm used to going bike riding (NOT HILLS) for 10 months of the year - here you get about 6 weeks of weather over 70 degrees! It's nuts.

Interestingly my 5 year old born in CAL, is not effected at all!
Have you tried a light box?

If not, talk to your Dr about possible benefits, or buy 4 or 5 shop light fixtures, screw them to a piece of plywood, install "cool white" type tubes and sit in front of it every day for about a half an hour. In the morning, when you're reading the PI would be a good time.

Cheap to build, cheap to run.

If you don't suffer from SAD, it will do you no harm and you won't be out a bunch of money.

Old 03-14-2007, 08:05 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,902,847 times
I love Cleveland jokes!

Old 03-14-2007, 09:33 PM

1,684 posts, read 2,711,210 times
Default Sad

The effect of the gray has been cumulative for me as well (a couple of decades). Last time we took a trip east my heart just sank when we crossed the Casacades back home into the damp gloom- and it was summer LOL.

I am an active person- not weak- hike, jog, bike all year-round in any weather. I am out there when rain is coming sideways and my hands are soaked in freezing wet gloves. I do not give up! But its like a slow death via gloom and grayness.

I am debating if there is a way to make this area work better for me or is time to move?

Old 03-14-2007, 10:17 PM

29 posts, read 171,264 times
Oh thanks goodness... I posted a thread aobut this same thing in the Oregon Forum! I cant stand this crappy gray gloom anymore! I grew up here and WILL NEVER get used to it.

Old 03-14-2007, 10:54 PM

416 posts, read 2,510,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirbyJRT View Post
That's blasphemy There is no such thing as too much sun.
I'm a Tacoma native and being in Arizona for the last five years is wearing me down. Where's the rain? 300+ days of sun can drive anyone crazy.

Old 03-15-2007, 05:51 AM

139 posts, read 636,604 times
Hey, you can always go visit the rain Given the choice between the two of them, I'd choose the sea sick crocodile..... Kidding.

I'd rather have consistent sun. I thought Arizona has rain around this time of year. Isn't this the desert bloom season?

Old 03-15-2007, 09:12 AM

3,176 posts, read 14,706,292 times
Another thing about this weather - I'm sick all the time. I have never in my life had an eye infection or sinus infection (in the ER twice!) or lung infection...and just a constant yuck feeling because it just never warms up here and the dampness is killing me.

Unlike the previous poster who will bike and hike in the rain - I will not, for fear of geting sick yet again - I stay in my house til it's at least 70 degrees for a week or more...which won't happen until July

Old 03-15-2007, 09:37 AM

1,247 posts, read 927,461 times
There is such a thing as too much sun. It's called skin cancer! :P I'm kidding, of course. I'm in south Florida right now, and when we have an overcast day, I LOVE it. I wish we had more. I can actually go outside without either squinting or wearing sunglasses. I think we've had about 5 overcast days in 2007, so far.

As others have said, too much of anything can become overwhelming, whether it's overcast or sunny.

Old 03-15-2007, 09:40 AM

323 posts, read 1,969,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl72 View Post
Unlike the previous poster who will bike and hike in the rain - I will not, for fear of geting sick yet again - I stay in my house til it's at least 70 degrees for a week or more...which won't happen until July
You might be surprised - we've had weeks like that in May before. Let's see, the last one that I remember would have been in, I think, 1992

Personally I don't mind the temperatures at all - the place we're moving to will be much colder in the winter and that doesn't bother me a bit. The gray and damp, though, are so depressing that I finally told my wife last year that I was moving, she was invited to move to but if her job was more important then so be it. She opted to move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington