Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 01:17 PM

15,273 posts, read 35,689,760 times

Advertisements

SAD-
Quote:
The standard figure says that around 2% of people in Northern Europe suffer badly, with many more (10%) putting up with milder symptoms (sub-syndromal SAD or the Winter Blues). Across the world the incidence increases with distance from the equator, except where there is snow on the ground, when it becomes less common. More women than men are diagnosed as having SAD. Children and adolescents are also vulnerable.

The problem stems from the lack of bright light in winter. Researchers have proved that bright light makes a difference to the brain chemistry, although the exact means by which sufferers are affected is not yet known.
My sister-in-law suffers fairly severely from SAD and is currently 'stuck' in MN, but has recently been perscribed a light box and has had a noticeable improvement. Apparently, the additional light actually causes a change in the chemical balances and reactions in the brain. I don't know much about it, but it might be worth looking into for some people. It doesn't seem to be hooey, anyway .

Old 03-14-2007, 01:26 PM

323 posts, read 1,970,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
My sister-in-law suffers fairly severely from SAD and is currently 'stuck' in MN, but has recently been perscribed a light box and has had a noticeable improvement. Apparently, the additional light actually causes a change in the chemical balances and reactions in the brain. I don't know much about it, but it might be worth looking into for some people. It doesn't seem to be hooey, anyway .
I've wondered before whether what I suffer from is SAD or just general malaise about Western Washington? I've tried light therapy and it didn't have a noticable effect on me Anti-depressants and exercise both have helped keep me going so far but we decided last winter to bail out and find somewhere with some more winter sun but not too much more summer heat (picky, picky, picky )

Old 03-14-2007, 02:47 PM

15,273 posts, read 35,689,760 times
I know that this is stretching the topic a little, but if you think you are suffering from some degree of SAD, make sure you take it at least somewhat seriously. My SIL ended up in a very stressful situation (school, work, personal life - perfect storm) on top of the SAD, and it triggered a 'psychotic episode' that could easily have been life threating. Among other changes she has made, she has tried to maintain a network of positive friends, and I think that is probably more important than medication, in most cases.

Old 03-14-2007, 03:14 PM
x4fscvdvd

n/a posts
This is a tough subject because from what I understand some people don't think it exists. To me it appears to be real, but I think not liking the weather anywhere could do this to you, not just lack of sunlight. Maybe I'm wrong.

I guess the bottom-line is, if I currently like rain/overcast and I plan on living in Washington for AT LEAST 5-10 years, do you think it would be a huge issue? Should I start light-therapy or other things as a preventative measure before it even begins? How much do these treatments cost? I DO NOT want to take medication, but I'm open to other things.

Old 03-14-2007, 03:21 PM

388 posts, read 1,786,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
...... It doesn't seem to be hooey, anyway .
Oh, it's not hooey.

The bad thing about it for me, was that I didn't even notice it sneaking up on me.

It took an intervention from my friends to call me on it, and a visit to a knowledgeable doctor to confirm it

I no longer wonder why I used to have overwhelming urges to head for the dry side of the state on weekends or head up to Sequim for the day. and why I found myself in a funk when I headed home.

I had a nice home, many friends and a job I loved, making more money than I ever dreamed possible and couldn't stand to be there in the winter; so much so that it began to affect relationships and work performance.

To echo your later post; if anyone lives in an area where you don't get to see the sun for days on end and you think you're undergoing a mood altering change, or if friends or loved ones comment on it, it doesn't hurt to check it out.

Old 03-14-2007, 03:51 PM

388 posts, read 1,786,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowXOR View Post
This is a tough subject because from what I understand some people don't think it exists. To me it appears to be real, but I think not liking the weather anywhere could do this to you, not just lack of sunlight. Maybe I'm wrong.

I guess the bottom-line is, if I currently like rain/overcast and I plan on living in Washington for AT LEAST 5-10 years, do you think it would be a huge issue? Should I start light-therapy or other things as a preventative measure before it even begins? How much do these treatments cost? I DO NOT want to take medication, but I'm open to other things.
That's a tough one to answer.

I lived there for 28 years, it wasn't an issue for me for the first 23 or 24 years, it was only recently that it got really bad.

Other people have an immediate problem.

I never had to take drugs to control it, just got out of town when it got bad, and when it got real bad I retired and left. Many people don't have the options I had.

There are days of sunshine in Western WA in the winter, don't let any of us here scare you off because of that, but there are often periods when you don't see the sun for days or weeks.

It's not even a hard rain, except when the Pineapple Express visits. I never carried an umbrella, except on the golf course, and that was only to keep the grips dry, but I never was far from my Gore-Tex parka shell, (thank you, REI), acceptable even with a business suit LOL.

The Puget Sound area is quite temperate, roughly the same as London, and just as misty.

I'm only trying to add input to help anyone who might suffer from SAD to be aware of it, and to seek help if they think they have it.

It's miserable for some, but some people are only slightly affected by it (the majority) and the symptoms aren't really noticeable and disappear the minute the sun comes out.

It's when the sun comes out but you start dreading it going away while it's still sunny that you might have a real problem.

Last edited by magrack; 03-14-2007 at 04:20 PM..

Old 03-14-2007, 03:53 PM

559 posts, read 2,117,693 times
Depression definitely exists up here, and a LOT of transplants get it. I speak from experience. I simply do not want to take medication for the rest of my life and/or be depressed forever, and the rain does not stop for 9 months save a dry day here or there. It is horrendous. Folks who have lived up here all their lives do not seem to be as affected by it as much as folks who have lived elsewhere (if they haven't experienced anything else, it's kind of hard for them to "get" that others may not be able to handle the gray skies so well). Some folks move here and aren't bothered. Some folks are. Just depends on how you're made. I would ask the question of my doctor, in addition to asking him for a referral to a doctor up here so you are all set, in preparation for the move. Your doctor is definitely the one to talk to about this.

Old 03-14-2007, 04:28 PM

797 posts, read 2,994,599 times
Default SAD is REAL!!!

SAD is real and unfortunately I think more people have it and don't know it. After 20 years of living in the PNW I didn't figure out I had until 3 years ago. I was desperate and finally seeked help from my doctor, who quickly assured me I was not "weak" for coming for help. The extended days and weeks without sun compounded by the "shut-in" lifestyle that most natives and eventually transplants adopt definately contribute to the illness. It is important to be alert to the symptoms and not be ashamed of it, seek help before things get out of control. Drugs are not the only answer either, there are alternative treatments. My husband saved my life by moving me and our kids to the sun and we are very grateful we missed this past NW winter, based on reports I am not sure I would have survived it.

Old 03-14-2007, 04:47 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,715,051 times
I'm from So Cal - Santa Monica, and then moved to Sacramento (and yes, I loved it there) I moved up here 3 years ago. I was one of those people who loved drizzly rainy days and clouds but now I might have SAD? I don't know but I'm going to some DRs and a therapist now, and they want me to take 5HTP. SO to live here I have to be drugged and in therapy - NICE! I want out - but it's hard convincing my husband. It would really do a number on our family

PLsu people don't interact with other here - it's gets cold and NO ONE goes out. It's very very lonely here - and very very confining. I'm used to going bike riding (NOT HILLS) for 10 months of the year - here you get about 6 weeks of weather over 70 degrees! It's nuts.

Interestingly my 5 year old born in CAL, is not effected at all!

Old 03-14-2007, 06:29 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,907,201 times
Top metro areas in the US for winter depression are Chicago, Cleveland, Detroit, and Seattle. Source: WSJ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington