Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 11:11 AM

160 posts, read 433,209 times

Advertisements

The thick gray sheet of cloud cover over many months of the year can be very mentally dibilitating in my experience. It isn't fluffy white clouds with blue peeking through. The damp and cold make the motivation to get out and bike ride, walk, etc. a huge effort. Many Sat. consist of making home-made cookies and movie rentals with the fireplace on. It's like a hibernation through winter. Also remember the further north the shorter the winter days (dark at 4:00 p.m.) My kids never really seemed effected by it either, maybe because they grew up in it and never really knew anything different. However, my kids have played select soccer for many years and the game will go on no matter how hard the rain is falling, many many games standing in the pouring rain (again the kids never really complained). Calif. friends couldn't believe they played in such weather. The only thing that would cancel a game was lightning. I do have some friend who have no problem with the long, dark, gray winter months. To each his own I guess. I personally feel that SAD should be taken very seriously.

Old 03-15-2007, 07:08 PM

1,696 posts, read 5,196,481 times
Wow! Im glad I came in here to scope things out!! I was born and raised in NY till I was 23 then moved to Colorado (300+ sunny days a year) then back to Jersey. In my most honest opinion ANYWHERE is better then here!! I was very seriously thinking of moving there. Im new in the Tech field and I know the Tech market is good out there. Ive been looking at BainBridge Island for the last month. But I havent seen 1 positive post in this entire thread.(I skipped the last page ) People who have sad, come live in NJ for a year! Then tell me how bad the rains are! Isnt there anyone out there that actually loves Seattle?

Old 03-15-2007, 11:06 PM

388 posts, read 1,786,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 41Willys View Post
... Isnt there anyone out there that actually loves Seattle?
LOL!

Most people commenting on this thread like or love Seattle or did at one time, and we're only discussing a single aspect of living in the area.

We're discussing a problem that severely affects a fairly low percentage of people in the US.

Might be more than estimated, as a good share of the population may not have been exposed to the conditions that cause the problem.

When the weather in the greater PS area is good, it's great, but those of us who have been most vocal about SAD are probably the most affected by it, and you should take that into consideration.

When the weather is gray and damp for a long stretch at a time, it affects everyone though, just not to the degree as someone who suffers from SAD.

For those interested in moving to the Seattle area and concerned about the weather and the nature of the days or the traffic, here are two links that may give you a better idea of what it's like.

The first link is the I5/I90 interchange, just south of the Convention Center. Look at it a couple of times a day to get an idea of what the day looks like and what the traffic might look like.

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/traffic/default.aspx?cam=1027

This next one is at I5 and NE 45th, north of the city center.

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/traffic/default.aspx?cam=1032

For those of you interested in getting a glimpse of other areas in the state, the traffic camera page is at:

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/traffic/

You'll only get a glimpse of anything other than traffic, but it might be of interest.

Old 03-16-2007, 12:00 AM

416 posts, read 2,511,608 times
Seems like each year gets drier and drier Sure I hate constant rain year long in W.Washington but let's not get rediculous. I think half and half is better....need a change of season.

Old 03-16-2007, 09:41 AM

3,176 posts, read 14,712,078 times
I think AZ single mom hit it

There's no chenge of season - it's blah, then it's blah, then it's more blah - then the summers aren't truly summer, most transplants consider 70 degrees a nice Spring day.

WHen I said it was between 40 - 60 degrees I mean ALL YEAR LONG, not the winter time - ALL YEAR LONG!

I WELCOMED the snow this year - at least it felt like a change!

Old 03-16-2007, 09:56 AM

3,225 posts, read 14,071,860 times
I agree.

We left just before the snow. I was sad to have missed it - but not sad that I missed the rain and wind storms. I know my old house in Bothell was likely without power for D A Y S!!!

I definitely DONT miss that.

Old 03-16-2007, 10:02 AM

323 posts, read 1,970,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl72 View Post
I think AZ single mom hit it

There's no chenge of season - it's blah, then it's blah, then it's more blah - then the summers aren't truly summer, most transplants consider 70 degrees a nice Spring day.

WHen I said it was between 40 - 60 degrees I mean ALL YEAR LONG, not the winter time - ALL YEAR LONG!

I WELCOMED the snow this year - at least it felt like a change!
Yep. Minor exaggeration for effect, but that's part of what I hate about the weather around here. city-data's graphs of the climate for Tacoma are instructive.

The temp graph is much flatter than the national average:
https://pics.city-data.com/w1/lha23334.png (broken link)

With the precip chart you see that the precipitation (mostly rain) is highest when the temp is coldest. Cold rain and drizzle
https://pics.city-data.com/w3/prc23334.png (broken link)

And, of course the kickers. The total sunshine:
https://pics.city-data.com/w6/sun23334.png (broken link)
and cloudy days:
https://pics.city-data.com/w7/cld23334.png (broken link)

Let's see, from October through March (approximately) about 10% of the days are sunny and for most of that period only another 10% to 15% are even partly cloudy. It's only in the late June through mid September period that you can really hope for sunny days to outnumber cloudy days.

The main affect of my weater-related depression is to make the memory of even partly cloudy days seem completely gray and the memory of sunny days fleeting.

Old 03-16-2007, 10:12 AM

388 posts, read 1,786,198 times
Great post.
Quite instructive and should be of value of anyone considering a move to the Puget Sound area.

Old 03-16-2007, 12:03 PM

6 posts, read 29,453 times
Default Weather Related depression

Quote:
Originally Posted by noplacelikeWA View Post
I also have SAD and I lived in WA for 20 years and every year it got worse. We just left last year for TX. This winter was better considering but I don't expect 20 years of SAD do dissappear in one winter. There are things you can do to help curb the effects of the seasons, like take a mid winter vacation, use drug therapy in the winter, go tanning twice a week, go outside even if isn't sunny, stay active! I wish I could say it worked for me but really I needed to get some extended living in a sunny place. Maybe we'll permanently return to the NW again someday, for now summer vacations will have to suffice.

We are moving to Iowa, i have lived in PNW my whole life (36 years) and it has only been the last 2 or 3 years that makes me want to slit my wrists. I am so drained with the rainy grey days. We did not pick Iowa as our choice of homes, the military had a hand in that. But we are excited to maybe experience a whole 4 seasons!!

Good luck

Old 03-16-2007, 01:52 PM

341 posts, read 1,019,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noplacelikeWA View Post
My husband saved my life by moving me and our kids to the sun and we are very grateful we missed this past NW winter, based on reports I am not sure I would have survived it.
So your handle "noplacelikeWA" is not used in a positive sense ?
The time I spent in Olympia (7 months back in '99), I really enjoyed by
touring WA and other parts of the NW and enjoying the tremendous scenery. But living up there on a permanent basis would require some real
adjustng to those very long, long periods of overcast skies without sunshine.
The actualy rain is delightful, refreshing. But my time there was May thru November, so guess I missed the heavy precip in the winter ?
And I'm not trying to be a wiseacre, but many of you really need to get the
hell out of that climate if you are taking medication to endure it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington