Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2022, 01:31 AM

1,127 posts, read 459,282 times

Advertisements

January 1 2023 gas tax in WA state will go up by 46 cents. About 3.5 months from now. All the gas prices going down since the peak has been nice but slow, but it will shoot back up 46 cents. I drove 30% less ever since the war, and kept the same habits until now. I really don't want to pay 46 cents extra when it comes. The folks in small towns will get it the worst since they don't have public transportation to switch to.

Are you ready or not? This will be permanently be very bad for average people. There's no waiting of what if the gas prices go down, this is tax that is fixed into the price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2022, 03:24 AM

3,700 posts, read 2,426,168 times
Absolutely stupid. But I'm not surprised. Almost all areas of Washington state - including Seattle Metro area do not have enough comprehensive public transpo for commuters from home to their jobs.

Quote:
The Climate Commitment Act, signed into law in 2021, will effectively add 46 cents per gallon to gas prices, which is an 82 percent increase above the state’s existing 56 cent per gallon tax. It will make gas in Washington the most expensive in the United States. Under the law, the state will set a cap-and-trade barrier on carbon dioxide by requiring companies to buy bonds (that allow them to pollute) from Washington’s Department of Ecology in auctions.
Entire:https://www.cagw.org/thewastewatcher...er-catastrophe

Old 09-17-2022, 12:23 PM

1,369 posts, read 716,500 times
What is the Republican alternative to fight climate change?

I say, offer a workable solution, roll up your sleeves to work out a compromise that still goes a meaningful way towards solving the problem, or let those who are trying do their work.

If, for example, you bought a vehicle that gets less than 30 mpg within the last 10 years, then you haven’t been paying attention. This is a problem that’s getting worse, FAST, and has been warned about for more than FIFTY YEARS.

Old 09-17-2022, 04:42 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,065,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcos View Post

I say, offer a workable solution, roll up your sleeves to work out a compromise that still goes a meaningful way towards solving the problem, or let those who are trying do their work.

Not a Republican...but 55 MPH, will reduce CO2 emissions by 20% tomorrow.

BTW..the 50 cent gas tax increase in Jan. will reduce CO2 emissions by around 2%. That is what happened in Canada.

How's that for a workable solution??

BTW....switching construction material from concrete to WOOD will drop CO2 emissions by ANOTHER 20% and save thousands of homes, thousands of lives, and provide jobs for thousands of Americans.

Oh yeah, the Democrats are against this as well.

Climate change is a scam by the Democrats to send billions of tax dollars to the contributors. Have you noticed that EVERY Democrat proposal involves BILLIONS of dollars sent to their contributors.

Yeah, that is why 55 MPH isn't being considered. No money in it for the corporations.

Old 09-17-2022, 04:56 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,742,664 times
My problem is that so much of this excrement is passed by the legislature without voter approval. Here comes another state election ballot with 2 pages of "The legislature passed, without voter approval, tax blah blah blah, should it be repealed?" Now I don't care which side of politics you are on, I'm tired of this crap. Legislation is constantly passed taxing us more and taking our freedoms away, without voter approval.
I have owned a 28-30mpg vehicle since the 1990's, where high fuel prices hurt is at the grocery store and that's bad enough right now. Our households grocery bill went from about $550 to almost $1,000 the last few months.
You want to know what's even worse? In the "liberal land" city I live in, I go from red light to red light time and time again in my 30mpg car and end up getting 18mpg. As soon as I get on the open road I get 35-42mpg. Its the same gov't that wants to increase gas taxes that leaves us sitting at red lights instead of syncing them so people can keep on rolling.

Old 09-17-2022, 05:11 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,742,664 times
Quote:

If, for example, you bought a vehicle that gets less than 30 mpg within the last 10 years, then you haven’t been paying attention. This is a problem that’s getting worse, FAST, and has been warned about for more than FIFTY YEARS.
Go look at the graphs of historical temperatures pulled from ice core samples. (C-D won't let me attach again). It's a cycle that repeats roughly about every 100,000 years....we're simply reaching the end of the current warming cycle. Near each peak, the graph also grows more unstable as weather gets more extreme. Interestingly enough, the 3rd cycle back roughly 300k years ago, was the shortest(experienced the most rapid warming) in the history that's been obtained. I don't think they had cars back then. Thinking we can change it is a joke. All that's going to happen is the common man will be separated from more of his earnings and reduced to living in a Tijuana style shack so the climate change czars can live in luxury flying around in private jets complaining about climate change.

Old 09-17-2022, 05:29 PM

13,079 posts, read 7,554,563 times
I'm ready.
Ebike, hybrid auto, OrcaCard. Wet resistent shoes.

Old 09-17-2022, 07:45 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,763 posts, read 58,180,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accord2008 View Post
January 1 2023 gas tax in WA state will go up by 46 cents. ...

Are you ready or not? ...
Ready?

As in October 19, 1973? That's only 49 yrs ago, and no self sustaining energy policy for the USA, yet...

50 mpg since 1976, no dinosaurs, no toxic batteries, and definately no GAS 'ick' required. Where have YOU been?

I live rural (farmer) so MUST use fuels and drive great distances / yr. A horse is not a reasonable alternative. BTDT

I'm with this... Conservation will far exceed our silly 20 yr CARB / emissions goals for FREE, and could be implemented TOMORROW. (or even yet today ) No multi million dollar agencies, burdensome laws and regulations, monitoring officials, or vehicle / infrastructure changes needed.

Quote:
55 MPH, will reduce CO2 emissions by 20% tomorrow.

BTW..the 50 cent gas tax increase in Jan. will reduce CO2 emissions by around 2%. That is what happened in Canada.

How's that for a workable solution??

but... I would immediately raise USA fuel prices to match world markets (~$8/g), with an added $$$ for our superb technology and incentive to be FIRST in technology and innovation, rather than first in pollution, first in the worst education and least and most expensive healthcare of the developed world. (we proved that by being FIRST in Covid deaths!) not smart, or educated...

Enjoy the journey, it's a sad shell of what it could have been, implemented 49 yrs ago.

Old 09-17-2022, 09:28 PM

3,700 posts, read 2,426,168 times
Quote:
IMO, that is another topic completely.

This massive gas tax hike - made without voter approval - is just following the concept of "we need more money," which is Inslee's common phrase over the years.

The gas tax is a regressive tax, also.

Asinine.

Old 09-17-2022, 11:20 PM

1,369 posts, read 716,500 times
Seems asinine to have voters approve or disapprove of laws passed by the legislature that was elected by the same voters. Why have a legislature, in that case?

What’s next, require voter approval for court judgements?

Seems like that would set up a system where necessary laws would be disapproved just because people don’t want to pay taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington