Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2022, 06:19 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,052,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
Ya sure, yu betcha...

Why would you be interested in solutions to a problem you don't believe exists?
Climate Change is real. It has been real for the last 10,000 years plus. I doubt it is MAN-CAUSED as the primary source.

Read this book....I know it is science and hard reading for those without a science background, but please read it. I can help you with the HARD science parts.

https://www.ucpress.edu/book/9780520...-without-water

The author believes in man-caused climate change....does that make it easier for you to read?? BUT it is a climate history of the American west over the past 10,000 years.

IF the problem is natural climate change the ENTIRE Democrat agenda is a failure.

We need to build dams, irrigation systems, etc. etc. INSTEAD we in Washington state are building WINDMILLS, displacing public owned hydro power to enrich the CORPORATIONS.

I am ok with 55 MPH since it has so many public benefits. As well, as harvesting trees and replacing concrete construction with renewable wood products. A 20% reduction in CO2 emissions.

Like 55 MPH a good idea even IF global climate change turns out to be natural.

HOWEVER, Inslee and the Democrats oppose BOTH those ideas.

NO MONEY in it for the CORPORATIONS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2022, 07:13 PM

862 posts, read 1,063,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Equally ironic is the WA Supreme Court striking down voter approved measures, because they might limit the government's ability to collect more taxes. (I-747)

https://taxfoundation.org/washington...rty-tax-limit/

My personal WA residence is now taxed $46/ day (Up from <$3/ day)
Same house, no improvements, just that now it is old and worn out (Not spiffed for a 'top-dollar-sale'. )
Is the assessor's market value on your property correct? IOW, could you sell it for that much?

Old 09-18-2022, 07:16 PM

862 posts, read 1,063,586 times
Quote:
I didn't build my home brick-by-brick to sell it. I planned to LIVE in it (until death). But WA state has made that impossible, as they have with many other rules. It is a state for the gainfully employed / those making a significant income. WA is displacing thousands of the very citizens who purposed to make WA communities a nice place to live. Progress (?), just as the new fuel tax is 'progress'.
Whether or not you want to sell it, shouldn't and doesn't make a difference.

Old 09-18-2022, 07:23 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,735 posts, read 58,090,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfdog View Post
Is the assessor's market value on your property correct? IOW, could you sell it for that much?
Of course it's not worth the assessed value, that's why I'm in Olympia every yr fighting it (for over 25 yrs). But, as the assessor always says... We'll win in the end (and they will). He claims his parents from CA want to buy my house at it's tax sale. But... it's being donated to charity, so they will have to buy it from the charity.

They will be bringing their EV cars from CA, so they aren't concerned about WA Fuel tax increases (fuel is considered CHEAP in the PNW to those from CA)

Old 09-18-2022, 07:28 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,735 posts, read 58,090,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Climate Change is real. It has been real for the last 10,000 years plus. I doubt it is MAN-CAUSED as the primary source.

We need to build dams, irrigation systems, etc. etc. INSTEAD we in Washington state are building WINDMILLS, displacing public owned hydro power to enrich the CORPORATIONS.

Much of the Wind Power in PNW is ownd by foriegn corporations.

We tried to implement 'community owned power' as is popular in midwest USA, but westerners are too indepent to agree to create community owned power to support the local economy and schools. PNW decided it was better to have our sustainable(?) power owned by China, Japan, The Netherlands, Germany and the profits head out of our region.

Probably could use a company in India to collect the fuel tax in WA. Just to make sure we don't get all the revenue.

Old 09-19-2022, 02:48 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,887,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcos View Post
Seems asinine to have voters approve or disapprove of laws passed by the legislature that was elected by the same voters. Why have a legislature, in that case?

What’s next, require voter approval for court judgements?

Seems like that would set up a system where necessary laws would be disapproved just because people don’t want to pay taxes.
You asked a question and I think I can answer it. Due to politics and western Washington State having about two-thirds of the State population. Every few years some elected official from eastern Washington throws in the idea of becoming two States. Of course, this will likely not happen anytime in anybody's lifetime.

Last edited by pnwguy2; 09-19-2022 at 02:56 PM..

Old 09-19-2022, 03:47 PM

13,079 posts, read 7,519,082 times
Quote:
Much of the Wind Power in PNW is ownd by foriegn corporations.

We tried to implement 'community owned power' as is popular in midwest USA, but westerners are too indepent to agree to create community owned power to support the local economy and schools. PNW decided it was better to have our sustainable(?) power owned by China, Japan, The Netherlands, Germany and the profits head out of our region.

Probably could use a company in India to collect the fuel tax in WA. Just to make sure we don't get all the revenue.
May not be much profit in owning the Wind Power. Wholesale power rate in PNW (Bonneville Authority) is about 2cents/Kwh. Retail residential electricity in private utility, Puget Sound Energy, Bellevue WA, will be <13cents/kwh, beginning, Jan 2023. The profit may be in the bonds and asset security.
My mother's abode in Salem was in public utility district with electricity at <8cents/kwh, 2018.
Clark Co. WA PUD, shows, current <9cents/Kwh,

Central Oregon and Columbia River town, with cooperatives or local PUD, have massive server farms are being electrified at near wholesale rates.

Possibly, the taxes are collected and/or calculated by Avalara, of Seattle.
YEMV

Old 09-19-2022, 07:36 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,887,429 times
Inflation is as bad now as the early to mid70’s. Let’s look back at what happened then. First and foremost housing prices and rents exploded. But…wage increases followed. All this creates a somewhat short recession in the early 80’s. History tends to repeat. So get ready for another recession. Almost guaranteed.

Old 09-19-2022, 08:04 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,052,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Inflation is as bad now as the early to mid70’s. Let’s look back at what happened then. First and foremost housing prices and rents exploded. But…wage increases followed. All this creates a somewhat short recession in the early 80’s. History tends to repeat. So get ready for another recession. Almost guaranteed.
The 1980's recession lasted a DECADE in eastern Washington. Trust me, I was working as an economist for the Federal government at that time.

This time it just might be that the recession will last a DECADE in our urban areas.

History does NOT repeat itself, but it does rhyme.

Old 09-19-2022, 09:34 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,737,076 times
Quote:

but... I would immediately raise USA fuel prices to match world markets (~$8/g), with an added $$$ for our superb technology and incentive to be FIRST in technology and innovation, rather than first in pollution, first in the worst education and least and most expensive healthcare of the developed world. (we proved that by being FIRST in Covid deaths!) not smart, or educated...

Enjoy the journey, it's a sad shell of what it could have been, implemented 49 yrs ago.
Note that many countries "universal healthcare" is paid for by their high fuel taxes. I would come out way ahead(about $940/month) at $10/gallon, if my healthcare was covered by that. The problem is, I simply don't trust our gov't. They will gladly add a big tax, while giving nothing more in return. Also, if those taxes hit diesel which I'm sure they will, prepare for $10 for a loaf of bread at the grocery store too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington