Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2023, 11:16 PM

8,217 posts, read 16,710,456 times

Advertisements

Took a drive to the coast to enjoy some sun and the ocean. It was a great way to celebrate the new year. First sunset of 2023 in the PNW. Happy New Year!

Derek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2023, 08:10 PM

Another nice day on the coast with less sun than yesterday but no rain. On our drive back, we could clearly see Mt. Hood. So, it was clear in SE WA today. It didn't take any pictures of it since I was driving. Here are a few from the coast.

Derek

Old 01-03-2023, 07:29 PM

I guess I forgot how different 40s feels at the coast vs. inland. I went for a walk today after work in Vancouver and it felt so much warmer than the beach was yesterday. I caught a sun break with some blue sky in the afternoon while the morning was cloudy. No rain today either. I like it when the forecasts only show rain and clouds all week and then they're wrong. I guess if you set really low expectations, any time there's a break in the rain/clouds its a bonus!

Derek

Old 01-04-2023, 03:29 PM

One of the benefits of shorter days during winter is that its much easier to catch sunrise. I awoke to a colorful sky this morning in Vancouver. Now, its raining and windy in the 40s.

Derek

Old 01-05-2023, 12:36 PM

1,684 posts, read 2,711,210 times
Nice Oregon Coast pics. I love going there but it's such a long drive that we don't get there every year. That's the advantage of southern WA. People coming from the east coast or midwest often don't realize how far apart everything is out west.

We have pretty average weather- 40s, damp, gray but yesterday there was some sun midday. Today the cloud cover is solid.

Old 01-05-2023, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayfair View Post
Nice Oregon Coast pics. I love going there but it's such a long drive that we don't get there every year. That's the advantage of southern WA. People coming from the east coast or midwest often don't realize how far apart everything is out west.

We have pretty average weather- 40s, damp, gray but yesterday there was some sun midday. Today the cloud cover is solid.
Thanks, as an old beach lover, that was an important criteria for us in selecting where to live. The OR coast is pretty close to southern WA. When we saw it was 4+ hours from Seattle to places like Rialto Beach and Ruby Beach, it was a bit too far. Although for some, the Sound is like an ocean with salt water and beaches. And don't get me wrong, I love the rugged WA coast up around ONP. It's just more remote unless one lives PA or Sequim. For those in Olympia, they can get to places Ocean Shores in under 2 hours which isn't bad.

We've got the same weather here today (40s, gray) after some crazy high winds last night.

Derek

Old 01-05-2023, 02:40 PM

1,684 posts, read 2,711,210 times
The Puget Sound beaches are nice, but nothing like the coast. Most of the PS beaches are also rocky or dark mucky sand and not nice sand like the Oregon Coast. Rialto is spectacular with the rocks that rattle in the waves, but there's nothing like the sandy beaches and sea stacks in Oregon.

Old 01-05-2023, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayfair View Post
The Puget Sound beaches are nice, but nothing like the coast. Most of the PS beaches are also rocky or dark mucky sand and not nice sand like the Oregon Coast. Rialto is spectacular with the rocks that rattle in the waves, but there's nothing like the sandy beaches and sea stacks in Oregon.
Yes, I'm partial to those OR sand beaches too with the reflective sand and wide beaches that go for miles. It's truly gorgeous and I've traveled the entire west coast from the tip of Baja to the top of WA. They are right up there among most beautiful for sure.

Derek

Old 01-05-2023, 06:52 PM

We had clouds most of the day until some clearing in the late afternoon. It was perfect timing for a walk after work. Temps in the low 50s. Kids were out playing soccer in shorts and t-shirts.

Derek

Old 01-06-2023, 09:24 PM

I headed out this morning for a sunrise paddle. Almost didn't go after waking up to thick clouds. But I thought what the heck. It was raining off and on pre-sunrise and looking kinda drab. Then all of a sudden this band of light and color began emerging around Mt. Hood until it really lit the morning with some gorgeous colors. You never know unless you go, right?

Derek
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington