Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2021, 07:25 AM

130 posts, read 322,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
It's gone nuts. I keep thinking real estate has topped out, and nope, prices go up again. The average list prices in many Bellingham neighborhoods are now $850K to over $1 million!
Unfortunately the cost of housing is gutting the trades as many people move onto cheaper cost of living areas. I know many people building or needing driveway and dirt work done that can't find any bidders or if they can the prices are super high and lead times are way out.
What I don't understand about the rich people moving here is their cheapness. They buy a shack for a million--a place you and I would avoid--but they don't want to pay the locals our normal rates. Our rates reflect the every rising cost of living here, but still a little cheaper than Seattle or San Francisco.

I keep saying I don't have another move in me, but since most of my old customers are ageing out or moving, does it really matter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2021, 08:58 AM

7 posts, read 8,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
There are a number nice places to live and enjoy a bit more sun while also keeping near the forests. If you don't mind being somewhat remote, Brookings is one of the most beautiful spots on the Oregon coast. It's in the banana belt so it gets a bit more sun. In addition, you have the most beautiful redwood forests on the west coast there at Redwood National Park. Plus, you get more daylight in winter months as well. The con would be the remote aspects. Here are a few pics from a trip my son and I took there last winter.

You could also consider the Reno/Tahoe area if you don't mind some snow in the winter and living higher up. They get lots of sun in those mountains.

Additionally, since you're considering south, you could look into places near the mountains there. In the southwest, Sedona AZ is beautiful.

Then, you could check out towns near the Appalachian range among others.

Derek

These are great photos. The Oregon Coast is another spot I am seriously thinking about as an alternative to Bham. More affordable, plus you have the ocean right there. But as the photos indicate, the Appalachian range is gorgeous too. It is not that hard to find natural beauty and decent living in all parts of the country. Missouri has great state parks for that matter - not that I am looking at the Midwest too seriously. I don't want harsh winters. I think West Coasters can sometimes get a little snobby about living in the West, when in fact the whole country has a lot to offer. It is kind of an ignorant attitude.

But it is my home. What is sad is that the West Coast is getting so pricey it is hard for a lot of people to work and live and retire here, unless you are very wealthy or willing to be poor. The middle class is disappearing. You just can't earn and save enough to keep up. My struggle is whether I want more financial security and the peace of mind that comes with that or if I am willing sacrifice to stay where I grew up. Also I wonder if I am just being sentimental; in fact I would not be losing much by the move, but gaining in perspective and quality of life both. Each person answers that for him/herself.

I had this idea of living south of Bham, Mount Vernon or Burlington, just driving up into town for shopping, seeing people, hiking, etc. But Mount Vernon housing is like $400-$500K too. Who would pay that for Mount Vernon? It is just crazy. Bham prices maybe; I get it, if you really feel at home there; that is what matters to you. And you can't forget about resale value either.

I am probably better off in sweltering Savannah GA with the Spanish moss and ocean and gnats and cockroaches and hurricanes. $350K. I think there is decent stuff below that too. The coast up to Charleston is beautiful, lots of nice communities too. As for the poverty, well Bham has that too...crime statistics are a little higher if you can believe it. Bham and Seattle, recently anyway. We are worse than the South.

Old 01-16-2021, 01:16 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
One question... Where's Butler?

Derek
North of Pittsburg, PA. I looked up the zip code on his profile. . I was curious, too.

Pahn Pahn, you wouldn't be related to the late Vadim Pahn, who taught at the UW, would you?

Old 01-16-2021, 04:53 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,689,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
North of Pittsburg, PA. I looked up the zip code on his profile. . I was curious, too.

Pahn Pahn, you wouldn't be related to the late Vadim Pahn, who taught at the UW, would you?
Ruth, that explains it. I was searching for Butler somewhere in the PNW but could find nothing.

Derek

Old 01-16-2021, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire17 View Post
These are great photos. The Oregon Coast is another spot I am seriously thinking about as an alternative to Bham. More affordable, plus you have the ocean right there. But as the photos indicate, the Appalachian range is gorgeous too. It is not that hard to find natural beauty and decent living in all parts of the country. Missouri has great state parks for that matter - not that I am looking at the Midwest too seriously. I don't want harsh winters. I think West Coasters can sometimes get a little snobby about living in the West, when in fact the whole country has a lot to offer. It is kind of an ignorant attitude.

I am probably better off in sweltering Savannah GA with the Spanish moss and ocean and gnats and cockroaches and hurricanes. $350K. I think there is decent stuff below that too. The coast up to Charleston is beautiful, lots of nice communities too. As for the poverty, well Bham has that too...crime statistics are a little higher if you can believe it. Bham and Seattle, recently anyway. We are worse than the South.
Yes, the Oregon coast has a lot to offer retirees especially if you decide to remain on the west coast. You just have to accept living further from larger city amenities which some are ok with.

On the other hand, the South has some very beautiful, lively, historic cities with universities and other nice features right on the coast like Savanah and Charleston. We've made some great friends who grew up in the south and they are some of the nicest folks you would ever meet. One couple met on the 'Redneck Rivera' which they jokingly like to refer to with fondness.

As for hurricanes, those states are also safer than Florida statistically speaking, especially when considering the most destructive ones. Here are the numbers just as a comparison keeping in mind that many retirees still enjoy Florida. "From the hurricanes seasons of 1851 to 2018, these are the top 10 hurricane states on record:

1. Florida: 120 hurricanes (37 were Category 3 through Category 5)
2. Texas 64 hurricanes (19 were Category 3 through Category 5)
3. North Carolina: 55 hurricanes (7 were Category 3 through Category 5)
4. Louisiana: 54 hurricanes (17 were Category 3 through Category 5)
5. South Carolina: 30 hurricanes (5 were Category 3 through Category 5)
6. Alabama 24 hurricanes (5 were Category 3 through Category 5)
7. Georgia 22 hurricanes (3 were Category 3 through Category 5)
8. Mississippi 19 hurricanes (8 were Category 3 through Category 5)
9. New York: 15 hurricanes (3 were Category 3 through Category 5)
10. Massachusetts 12 hurricanes (1 was a Category 3)"
-- https://universalproperty.com/united...canes-hit-most

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 01-16-2021 at 05:57 PM..

Old 01-16-2021, 07:53 PM

334 posts, read 421,026 times
Quote:
One question... Where's Butler?

Derek
Oops, I'm not in Butler anymore, I'll have to update my profile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
North of Pittsburgh, PA. I looked up the zip code on his profile. . I was curious, too.

No relation. My "Pahn" is a video game reference.

Quote:
Ruth, that explains it. I was searching for Butler somewhere in the PNW but could find nothing.
Now I'm in Oil City. I just had some electrical and HVAC work done on my house and it cost me half what I paid for the house.

Western PA is a far cry from western WA (well, except for the gray skies), but it sure is cheaper.

Old 01-18-2021, 10:34 AM

7 posts, read 8,251 times
Quote:
Yes, the Oregon coast has a lot to offer retirees especially if you decide to remain on the west coast. You just have to accept living further from larger city amenities which some are ok with.

On the other hand, the South has some very beautiful, lively, historic cities with universities and other nice features right on the coast like Savanah and Charleston. We've made some great friends who grew up in the south and they are some of the nicest folks you would ever meet. One couple met on the 'Redneck Rivera' which they jokingly like to refer to with fondness.

As for hurricanes, those states are also safer than Florida statistically speaking, especially when considering the most destructive ones. Here are the numbers just as a comparison keeping in mind that many retirees still enjoy Florida. "From the hurricanes seasons of 1851 to 2018, these are the top 10 hurricane states on record:

1. Florida: 120 hurricanes (37 were Category 3 through Category 5)
2. Texas 64 hurricanes (19 were Category 3 through Category 5)
3. North Carolina: 55 hurricanes (7 were Category 3 through Category 5)
4. Louisiana: 54 hurricanes (17 were Category 3 through Category 5)
5. South Carolina: 30 hurricanes (5 were Category 3 through Category 5)
6. Alabama 24 hurricanes (5 were Category 3 through Category 5)
7. Georgia 22 hurricanes (3 were Category 3 through Category 5)
8. Mississippi 19 hurricanes (8 were Category 3 through Category 5)
9. New York: 15 hurricanes (3 were Category 3 through Category 5)
10. Massachusetts 12 hurricanes (1 was a Category 3)"
-- https://universalproperty.com/united...canes-hit-most

Derek

Yes, from what I read Savannah and Charleston are better than Florida for hurricanes. Not quite as 'tropical.' It is possible but quite rare in reality. They get intense thunderstorms, rain wipes out visibility but the storms only last about 45 minutes. I think it is still around 90 degrees the whole time it happens. To be honest it sounds kind of fun from your front window anyway. Downtown Savannah is fantastic. There are lot of really nice afforadable neighborhoods right there. Walkable more or less. Early mornings are ok I believe even in the summer. The people are super friendly.

I just read that Charleston is (or recently was) one of the top destinations for incomers, in the country, right up there with Idaho. Also Atlanta is very popular, now mostly transplants, NY, NE in general, Calif. I think I am behind the curve. By the time I get there I may as well have stayed here. It will feel just like Calif meets the NE.

I have family in Western OR, so the Oregon Coast is definitely in the running. There is Eugene and Portland for city visits. But yes it is very remote out there. The Internet culture for better or worse might change it a little bit. Everybody being online I mean. I go there frequently and think I would be ok. Lack of sun is my only worry, as with Bham. Plus I am losing the university, libraries, good pizza, restaurants, all that, concerts.

I am going to start exploring nooks and crannies around Bham, next few years. Might contact a real estate agent but frankly this is all still years out. Also visit in the South. BTW you can live on $2000-$3000 a month in Italy - south of Rome. Stay a US citizen. Sun, culture, no hurricanes. Ocean. Good pizza.

Old 01-18-2021, 12:20 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,730,517 times
Several of our friends/co-workers have relocated to the Carolina's. My last remaining long time friends joke that "we're the last two" in Bellingham. Average home prices are still up there in the $350K range in NC and SC, but they get ALOT more house for that money. One co-workers kids all moved to SC and Georgia this winter, sold their little dumpy letter street houses here for over twice what they paid for them and were able to get really nice places there mostly or all cash out.
Even better, the place where one of them worked here couldn't find anybody to replace her, so they are paying her the same money to do the medical billings remotely and from home.
The "empty middle" is a thing here, and it's creeping upward to where many businesses can't fill good paying positions. My workplace interviewed a candidate about 18 months ago, who liked Bellingham and what we had to offer, but ultimately refused because he would have to sell his house/shop/horse barn property and the same money only afforded a townhouse in Bellingham.
The best opportunity for many, is in leaving this area, not moving in.

Last edited by rkcarguy; 01-18-2021 at 12:29 PM..

Old 01-18-2021, 12:33 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,730,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahn View Post
Oops, I'm not in Butler anymore, I'll have to update my profile.

No relation. My "Pahn" is a video game reference.

Now I'm in Oil City. I just had some electrical and HVAC work done on my house and it cost me half what I paid for the house.

Western PA is a far cry from western WA (well, except for the gray skies), but it sure is cheaper.

One can buy houses in Detroit for $1 haha. Bring your own elbow grease.

Old 01-18-2021, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
Several of our friends/co-workers have relocated to the Carolina's. My last remaining long time friends joke that "we're the last two" in Bellingham. Average home prices are still up there in the $350K range in NC and SC, but they get ALOT more house for that money. One co-workers kids all moved to SC and Georgia this winter, sold their little dumpy letter street houses here for over twice what they paid for them and were able to get really nice places there mostly or all cash out.
Even better, the place where one of them worked here couldn't find anybody to replace her, so they are paying her the same money to do the medical billings remotely and from home.
The "empty middle" is a thing here, and it's creeping upward to where many businesses can't fill good paying positions. My workplace interviewed a candidate about 18 months ago, who liked Bellingham and what we had to offer, but ultimately refused because he would have to sell his house/shop/horse barn property and the same money only afforded a townhouse in Bellingham.
The best opportunity for many, is in leaving this area, not moving in.
You get a lot of bang for your buck there and it does have it charms. I think until people visit it they might initially think, Yuck, but its the South. However, there are some very nice areas in the Carolinas and Georgia as well other parts.

Regarding Bham, it is definitely going through gentrification similar to places like Bend. Prices will continue to rise as the old infrastructure is strained with the growing population. And like Bend, for some it will be a great new place to live. While for others, it will be a better time to sell and move somewhere else that offers more for their hard earned $$ like in your friends' cases. That is similar to my hometown of Hermosa Beach which became completely gentrified and now the median home price sits at $2 million. We were not rich while growing up there, simply middle class folks. Needless to say, I won't be buying a home or moving back there any time soon.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 01-18-2021 at 10:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington