Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2021, 08:31 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,695,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Well, it seems like someone who appreciates B'ham should live in B'ham. Are you sure you want to move to the Southeast? You might hate it. Humidity, heat, ugh! And those states you mention aren't exactly known for liberal people who appreciate multiculturalism.

But...suit yourself. I'd rather live where I don't have to hide out indoors all summer, with the A/C.
I think there are pros/cons with every place. But I tend to agree if Bham is what you really want. We only live one life and may as well live somewhere we enjoy... if we can afford to do so.

That said, there is a women I recall from the California forum who moved to the south. Everyone kept bagging on the south when she mentioned how much she enjoys living there. It allowed her to retire early, save and travel more with a more affordable home base. So, for her it was a good fit even with their otherwise unpleasant summers.

If money was not an issue, I would definitely remain on the west coast for retirement. Heck, I was even joking with my wife last night that if my 401k ever hit $4 million (not gonna happen), I would buy a home in Monterey. lol However, for many retirees, they want to stretch out their retirement dollars as far as they possibly can. Some even move abroad to live the kind of life they want to like on a warm beach somewhere in Costa Rica, Mexico, Guatemala, etc...

Derek
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2021, 08:49 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
I think there are pros/cons with every place. But I tend to agree if Bham is what you really want. We only live one life and may as well live somewhere we enjoy... if we can afford to do so.

That said, there is a women I recall from the California forum who moved to the south. Everyone kept bagging on the south when she mentioned how much she enjoys living there. It allowed her to retire early, save and travel more with a more affordable home base. So, for her it was a good fit even with their otherwise unpleasant summers.

If money was not an issue, I would definitely remain on the west coast for retirement. Heck, I was even joking with my wife last night that if my 401k ever hit $4 million (not gonna happen), I would buy a home in Monterey. lol However, for many retirees, they want to stretch out their retirement dollars as far as they possibly can. Some even move abroad to live the kind of life they want to like on a warm beach somewhere in Costa Rica, Mexico, Guatemala, etc...

Derek
True. My brother moved to Kentucky. So many work colleagues of his had moved to Arkansas or Kentucky years ago, and talked about how cheap it was, he couldn't resist. I didn't realize you weren't planning to stay on the W Coast, though...?

Old 01-09-2021, 11:08 PM

Quote:
True. My brother moved to Kentucky. So many work colleagues of his had moved to Arkansas or Kentucky years ago, and talked about how cheap it was, he couldn't resist. I didn't realize you weren't planning to stay on the W Coast, though...?
Who me? No, I'm just speaking 'generally' when it could make sense for some to do so. I'm still a ways away from retirement with three teenagers to support through college. But it would take a lot for us to leave the west coast since we've already done that once before to Colorado. And well, it didn't stick. This is really home for us. So, unless something major changes like all our kids move to the south or east coast, we'll likely remain. Though all coastal states are free game. Vancouver is nice because we can enjoy two of the three weekly. And the NorCal redwoods are only a ~ 6 hour drive south.

Derek

Old 01-10-2021, 12:41 PM

7 posts, read 8,278 times
Quote:
Well, it seems like someone who appreciates B'ham should live in B'ham. Are you sure you want to move to the Southeast? You might hate it. Humidity, heat, ugh! And those states you mention aren't exactly known for liberal people who appreciate multiculturalism.

But...suit yourself. I'd rather live where I don't have to hide out indoors all summer, with the A/C.

Yes, I would love to live in Bham, it is definitely 'following my heart." But, having been in the PNW all of my life, i wonder about checking out other areas. Am I just going back to Bham for memories, the past. I've seen a lot comments on the threads about that question. Would the person I am now feel the same way as the college kid with family in the area (now gone), etc. I do have some people around there still and I head up there every single summer for a dip or two in Lake Padden, Lake Whatcom, hikes in the area all the time, all seasons really. I believe I would like it now.

But I have traveled a fair amount over the years. I love Boston, Philly, the Maine Coast, Charleston, Savannah. There is a lot of history and a great vibe back east. Good food, I like the people and feel surprisingly at home. Love the way history and architecture are integrated into the culture, vibe. I could explore for years if I go back there. Also the cost of living is so much lower in the SE that I can basically retire two years earlier than if I have to budget for the PNW, Bham. A little goes a long way back there in terms of housing and living costs.

Also while I thoroughly appreciate the beauty of rain on a cedar under a cloudy gray sky (in Bham a good thing, right?) I can also do hot. I spent a good chunk of most of my summers in So Calif as a kid (grandma's house). 100, 104 degrees, air conditioning in the house the car the mall. I love to swim and swam a lot in pools, the ocean as a kid. I LIKE the heat. Dry heat, not humid heat. That would be the challenge with the SE, but I think I could adapt.

Last point, yes it is blistering hot 2 or 3 months in the SE, but Bham has the dark black 2 or 3 months after Thanksgiving through Dec Jan into Feb. Either way there is a rough period in the year, you just have to learn to cope.

Time will tell. Thanks for the reply!

Old 01-10-2021, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire17 View Post
Yes, I would love to live in Bham, it is definitely 'following my heart." But, having been in the PNW all of my life, i wonder about checking out other areas. Am I just going back to Bham for memories, the past. I've seen a lot comments on the threads about that question. Would the person I am now feel the same way as the college kid with family in the area (now gone), etc. I do have some people around there still and I head up there every single summer for a dip or two in Lake Padden, Lake Whatcom, hikes in the area all the time, all seasons really. I believe I would like it now.

But I have traveled a fair amount over the years. I love Boston, Philly, the Maine Coast, Charleston, Savannah. There is a lot of history and a great vibe back east. Good food, I like the people and feel surprisingly at home. Love the way history and architecture are integrated into the culture, vibe. I could explore for years if I go back there. Also the cost of living is so much lower in the SE that I can basically retire two years earlier than if I have to budget for the PNW, Bham. A little goes a long way back there in terms of housing and living costs.

Also while I thoroughly appreciate the beauty of rain on a cedar under a cloudy gray sky (in Bham a good thing, right?) I can also do hot. I spent a good chunk of most of my summers in So Calif as a kid (grandma's house). 100, 104 degrees, air conditioning in the house the car the mall. I love to swim and swam a lot in pools, the ocean as a kid. I LIKE the heat. Dry heat, not humid heat. That would be the challenge with the SE, but I think I could adapt.

Last point, yes it is blistering hot 2 or 3 months in the SE, but Bham has the dark black 2 or 3 months after Thanksgiving through Dec Jan into Feb. Either way there is a rough period in the year, you just have to learn to cope.

Time will tell. Thanks for the reply!
All good and fair points, Claire. Bottom line I've discovered in this. No place is perfect and there is something for everyone depending on which 'cons' one is willing accept to gain the pros of an area. There's no 'one coast is better than the other,' just different preferences with a different set of pros/cons. In addition, one of the biggest factors is community and family. If you're doing it solo vs. have friends/family that makes it more of a challenge socially. Though it can be enjoyed if willing to meet new friends, etc... Or if you go with someone else, maybe follow a friend out there, perhaps.

Regarding seasons of poorer climates one learns to deal with vs. not, yes, absolutely! From my perspective the PNW is gorgeous year round. However, the lack of sun, daylight, colder air/water and consistent rain during winter can make it less enjoyable than the other seasons. So, we accept this for the pros and learn to compensate. Go out and enjoy it more bundled up, etc... Take a paddle or hike in the rain and so on.

Having lived in SoCal and experiencing those warm summers, I know exactly what you're taking about. Sometimes they can be unbearable inland. So, millions flock to the coast where it can feel near perfect frolicking in ocean. The same can be true for the South, Mexico and Hawaii, though definitely more humid than SoCal. Head to ocean, pool, etc... Then go cool off in the cool A/C. Winters are so mild in some of these places its ridiculous. Sunny at the beach in December? No problem. My wife's aunt and uncle retired to Florida and it's sunny pretty much year round. Though they still get rain and have to deal hurricanes annually - trade-offs everywhere, right?

I kinda like the idea of snowbirding during winter in the PNW once I approach retirement. By contrast, folks in areas with uncomfortable summers tend to travel more then like our friends in Sacramento, CA with many 100+ degree days. That's when they're off traveling the globe and gettin' the heck out of Dodge.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 01-10-2021 at 03:43 PM..

Old 01-12-2021, 01:05 PM

7 posts, read 8,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
All good and fair points, Claire. Bottom line I've discovered in this. No place is perfect and there is something for everyone depending on which 'cons' one is willing accept to gain the pros of an area. There's no 'one coast is better than the other,' just different preferences with a different set of pros/cons. In addition, one of the biggest factors is community and family. If you're doing it solo vs. have friends/family that makes it more of a challenge socially. Though it can be enjoyed if willing to meet new friends, etc... Or if you go with someone else, maybe follow a friend out there, perhaps.

Regarding seasons of poorer climates one learns to deal with vs. not, yes, absolutely! From my perspective the PNW is gorgeous year round. However, the lack of sun, daylight, colder air/water and consistent rain during winter can make it less enjoyable than the other seasons. So, we accept this for the pros and learn to compensate. Go out and enjoy it more bundled up, etc... Take a paddle or hike in the rain and so on.

Having lived in SoCal and experiencing those warm summers, I know exactly what you're taking about. Sometimes they can be unbearable inland. So, millions flock to the coast where it can feel near perfect frolicking in ocean. The same can be true for the South, Mexico and Hawaii, though definitely more humid than SoCal. Head to ocean, pool, etc... Then go cool off in the cool A/C. Winters are so mild in some of these places its ridiculous. Sunny at the beach in December? No problem. My wife's aunt and uncle retired to Florida and it's sunny pretty much year round. Though they still get rain and have to deal hurricanes annually - trade-offs everywhere, right?

I kinda like the idea of snowbirding during winter in the PNW once I approach retirement. By contrast, folks in areas with uncomfortable summers tend to travel more then like our friends in Sacramento, CA with many 100+ degree days. That's when they're off traveling the globe and gettin' the heck out of Dodge.

Derek

Yes, the ideal solution would be the PNW in the summer of course! Nothing like Bham on a perfect July day, my goodness. Down south for the winter months. Not sure I can swing that. Plus I am animal lover and will no doubt be dragging cats and dogs with me.

I too love the rain and woods, but sometimes the lack of sun and cloud cover do get to me. Especially when they drag through Mar, Apr, May June. Some years I plan a trip South or wherever in Jan or Feb, some years not. I think I would feel better with more sun overall. The moment I see it I feel better. I count little patches of blue sky too. But I might miss those woods if I go south....

Old 01-12-2021, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire17 View Post
Yes, the ideal solution would be the PNW in the summer of course! Nothing like Bham on a perfect July day, my goodness. Down south for the winter months. Not sure I can swing that. Plus I am animal lover and will no doubt be dragging cats and dogs with me.

I too love the rain and woods, but sometimes the lack of sun and cloud cover do get to me. Especially when they drag through Mar, Apr, May June. Some years I plan a trip South or wherever in Jan or Feb, some years not. I think I would feel better with more sun overall. The moment I see it I feel better. I count little patches of blue sky too. But I might miss those woods if I go south....
There are a number nice places to live and enjoy a bit more sun while also keeping near the forests. If you don't mind being somewhat remote, Brookings is one of the most beautiful spots on the Oregon coast. It's in the banana belt so it gets a bit more sun. In addition, you have the most beautiful redwood forests on the west coast there at Redwood National Park. Plus, you get more daylight in winter months as well. The con would be the remote aspects. Here are a few pics from a trip my son and I took there last winter.

You could also consider the Reno/Tahoe area if you don't mind some snow in the winter and living higher up. They get lots of sun in those mountains.

Additionally, since you're considering south, you could look into places near the mountains there. In the southwest, Sedona AZ is beautiful.

Then, you could check out towns near the Appalachian range among others.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 01-12-2021 at 08:30 PM..

Old 01-14-2021, 08:48 PM

335 posts, read 421,399 times
I love Bham, but it has priced me out. I could afford about $400k, which would have been enough about a year ago. It won’t be long before Bham prices match Seattle’s. Whatcom county is ridiculously mismanaged, which makes matters worse.

I could probably eke out a decent living in Bham, but now I’m living in a nowhere town where I bought a house for about 5% of the Bham median house price. You read that right. It doesn’t have any of the pluses of Bham, but all that money in my bank account each month makes me forget all that.

Old 01-15-2021, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahn View Post
I love Bham, but it has priced me out. I could afford about $400k, which would have been enough about a year ago. It won’t be long before Bham prices match Seattle’s. Whatcom county is ridiculously mismanaged, which makes matters worse.

I could probably eke out a decent living in Bham, but now I’m living in a nowhere town where I bought a house for about 5% of the Bham median house price. You read that right. It doesn’t have any of the pluses of Bham, but all that money in my bank account each month makes me forget all that.
One question... Where's Butler?

Derek

Old 01-15-2021, 11:49 AM

3,405 posts, read 2,732,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahn View Post

It's gone nuts. I keep thinking real estate has topped out, and nope, prices go up again. The average list prices in many Bellingham neighborhoods are now $850K to over $1 million!
Unfortunately the cost of housing is gutting the trades as many people move onto cheaper cost of living areas. I know many people building or needing driveway and dirt work done that can't find any bidders or if they can the prices are super high and lead times are way out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington