Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2017, 04:45 PM

6 posts, read 11,632 times

Advertisements

Some of the responses other people have gotten is nasty and deterrent. Hmm Welp.

I was just passing through because I wanted to move to Forks myself. Maybe not long-term, it depends on if the community likes me or not when I get there, you know? I know how small towns can be.

Forks wasn't my first choice, Port Angeles or Sequim were/are. But I'm in a financial bind and need somewhere cheaper. Can you believe the housing crisis along the West coast? I moved here right before it began and now I'm trapped with almost a grand a month in rent and can't save much to move too far.

I've been up there. I've driven all over the NOP and, well, it suits me. I'm currently in Portland. The cost of living and iciness of people is just... Outrageous. My kid and I, we have our incomes and they won't change so getting a job or not getting one is irrelevant. And housing market if I want to leave is irrelevant. I know about the rain. It rains a lot here too but not as much, especially not this year.

I understand that there's nothing there. If you knew my life, you'd know nothing is what I need right now. I have no health problems, and the kiddo's autistic. Just to be transparent, it's where... If we did end up going and staying there, then he wouldn't end up being a bored teenager getting in trouble because he's pretty home bound.

So my questions are really, is "Concerned Citizens" any good? What about the Farmers Market?

Most importantly, is the crime rate horrible? I know what I've read but are the break ins and all really that bad? Surely it's safer than Portland?

Again, I know there's nothing there hardly, but I need some environmental reprieve. Hopefully people will like me okay because I'd like to make some friends and be part of any sort of things going on.

Thanks for your time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2017, 04:52 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,777,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanimyu View Post
Some of the responses other people have gotten is nasty and deterrent. Hmm Welp.

I was just passing through because I wanted to move to Forks myself. Maybe not long-term, it depends on if the community likes me or not when I get there, you know? I know how small towns can be.

Forks wasn't my first choice, Port Angeles or Sequim were/are. But I'm in a financial bind and need somewhere cheaper. Can you believe the housing crisis along the West coast? I moved here right before it began and now I'm trapped with almost a grand a month in rent and can't save much to move too far.

I've been up there. I've driven all over the NOP and, well, it suits me. I'm currently in Portland. The cost of living and iciness of people is just... Outrageous. My kid and I, we have our incomes and they won't change so getting a job or not getting one is irrelevant. And housing market if I want to leave is irrelevant. I know about the rain. It rains a lot here too but not as much, especially not this year.

I understand that there's nothing there. If you knew my life, you'd know nothing is what I need right now. I have no health problems, and the kiddo's autistic. Just to be transparent, it's where... If we did end up going and staying there, then he wouldn't end up being a bored teenager getting in trouble because he's pretty home bound.

So my questions are really, is "Concerned Citizens" any good? What about the Farmers Market?

Most importantly, is the crime rate horrible? I know what I've read but are the break ins and all really that bad? Surely it's safer than Portland?

Again, I know there's nothing there hardly, but I need some environmental reprieve. Hopefully people will like me okay because I'd like to make some friends and be part of any sort of things going on.

Thanks for your time
Depends on which Portland neighborhoods you're comparing, doesn't it? And of course which crimes?

Too bad there isn't some way to find out what the crime rates actually are...

Unfortunately, poorer neighborhoods do have higher crime rates. And Forks is a poorer neighborhood if ever there was one.

Old 12-30-2017, 05:12 PM

Yeah, it does depend. And you're right about the economy there. Thank you for the feedback

Old 12-30-2017, 06:37 PM

162 posts, read 199,457 times
Try this; Enter the city of your choice and compare it to other cities Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 01-18-2018 at 06:43 AM..

Old 12-30-2017, 06:42 PM

Thanks wmweeza!

Old 12-30-2017, 08:29 PM

8,075 posts, read 8,383,205 times
If you're considering Forks, you might as well as look at Aberdeen or Hoquiam. A lot more rentals there - 2bd apartments from $650-750. Has an excellent YMCA (with swimming lessons) and a great summer camp. You're 20 miles from the Ocean.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...?fullpage=true

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6...?fullpage=true

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...?fullpage=true

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6...?fullpage=true

https://www.zillow.com/b/heather-mea...een-wa-5Xt4R8/

http://www.ghymca.net/wp-content/upl...p-Brochure.pdf

Home Page - YMCA of Grays Harbor

Old 12-30-2017, 10:01 PM

Thank you, crazydonkey. I know I want to move to the OP but I'm keeping an open mind on towns. I appreciate the links and information! 650-750 is a lot better than the 903 I'm paying for a 1 bedroom with neighbors attached on all sides, thin walls and no central air/heat. Its bs honestly.

Old 12-31-2017, 01:30 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,538,621 times
Concerned Citizens is a social service agency that started in Forks, because there wasn’t a social welfare safety net there. They mostly focus on the needs of children, but also do some elder care & other things. They also have a PA office.They are like the other non-profit social service agencies on the OP...they do what they can with limited funding. You should look them up on their website.

IMO, you should also look at Aberdeen/Hoquiam, as CrazyDonkey suggested...more rental inventory, & I am guessing less clique-like behavior than Forks.

Old 01-26-2018, 08:25 PM

1 posts, read 2,337 times
I am looking at a job in the area. My can live in Forks or Quinault. Does anyone have some feed back for each place.

Old 01-27-2018, 06:05 PM

735 posts, read 873,202 times
I know you said you were looking at Forks for lower COL, but have to ask did you read or watch the series Twilight?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington