Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2021, 10:53 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,484,217 times

Advertisements

If you want to move here, you need to have cash ready to offer or else be able to WFH.
https://www.king5.com/mobile/article...paign=Nextdoor
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2021, 11:14 AM

3,405 posts, read 2,732,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xPlorer48 View Post
If you want to move here, you need to have cash ready to offer or else be able to WFH.
https://www.king5.com/mobile/article...paign=Nextdoor
Wow, and it keeps going up.
$731,000 average home sale price for July.

Kulshan Land Trust: "Many of our homeowners would never be able to buy a home. They'd be stuck renting, so this is an opportunity to realize that dream," said Fearing, who called those families "the missing middle." Hovenier said he worries for the county's future. "I think it's a healthy community when school bus drivers, teachers and police officers can afford to live in the town they work in," he said.

Old 08-12-2021, 11:20 AM

The smoke is back this morning bleh.
The Cordata area of Bellingham clear up to the Lynden and Everson areas are posting 190+, (very unhealthy).

Old 08-12-2021, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonizer View Post
Where do I begin? I think it's a fair question, and not out of context, considering how many times you've attacked my intentions, and the intentions of others, for moving to Bellingham. Yet you constantly talk about moving away, and how far people's money can go in other places, with nary a peep about intentions, other than to get a good deal and live like royalty in other markets. Anyway, I like where I live, and you apparently don't anymore. That's fine, and I've not only agreed with you 100x on these forums, but I've told you dozens of times that I sympathize with having your hometown change dramatically in front of your eyes, though I'd argue that many changes are actually improvements. In general, I'm defending this place against the absurd, and fairly relentless attacks against this place, not rah-rah-ing. I've said a million times that it's not for everyone. And when have I denied that housing got expensive? I just don't understand why you feel like you're somehow "saving" people from making a bad decision. OF COURSE people should check a place out before moving. In multiple seasons, I'd add. People not doing their diligence are taking a huge risk. But saving them from making a bad decision is why you've been badmouthing the place every chance you get?

Anyhow, here you are complaining for thirteen years about a place, and mad that people like me appreciate the heck out of it. But you just won't go anywhere else to find out that the exact same things occur elsewhere, and in many cases are worse. Lines at Starbucks? Better weather in Cleveland? Give me a break. Ever been? My wife is from Western PA and will be the first to tell you the weather here is a vast improvement. Escalating real estate prices? Having to park a distance away from hiking trails? Shortages of some items at grocery stores? I assume you pay attention to the news. Again, literally everything you complain about happens elsewhere- and in many cases it's far, far worse in cities of comparable sizes.

If you're mad at the people in million dollar homes, okay. But most other cities have wealthy neighborhoods, too. And someone vying for mansions on the water isn't competing for housing with you or me, so what's the problem? Most neighborhoods in town aren't filled ritzy people, they're more likely to be new aged hippies. Maybe that's not your speed, but acting like they're all snobby because you don't agree with their views doesn't make any sense.

In terms of industry, I'm all about more jobs coming here, though it's definitely worth pointing out that industries evolve over time. Getting mad at other people for adjusting to the demands of the job market sounds like more of a defense mechanism than a reasonable argument. Can you seriously blame people for retraining for industries in demand and going back to school to advance their careers? Yeah, I went to college, and then ended up working for years in a furniture plant. I watched the industry collapse and decided to go back and get another degree and get into the digital field. Am I a "snob" because I didn't want to remain in a dying field, so I busted my tail to get out of it? Am I a bad person because we moved here and loved it? Do you laugh the same way when someone driving a $100k Dodge Ram that costs 4x the price of a used Mercedes wants to get work done on their rig "for cheap"? Is swilling craft beer an exclusive realm of those making 7 figures? Give me a break. Again, I'll ask, why are your intentions pure when you need the same goods and services as anyone else? Because you were here first?

I get that you hate the place, but again I would argue that what you really hate is cities, and Bellingham happens to be one of them. As someone who's lived in a number of other cities, I can tell you that this compares favorably at least to us. But you've got the worst case of "the grass is greener on the other side" that I've ever seen. If/when you ever finally decide to "infest" someone else's hometown, I hope you report back on what you find.

In the meantime, when people make ridiculous or one sided comments on this thread, or complain excessively about things that happen literally everywhere else, I'll continue to provide balance- or at least apply context.
I don't have time to respond to all these points in detail, will have to touch on many of them later. I do not like big cities, and being I was born and grew up here, I've watched this place grow from a "town" into a city, with all the problems of a big city and then some. We have big city crime, big city prices, and still the same "town" wages. You do the math, less than $50K average family income and Julys $731,000 average home sold price = 14.6x Income/Average Home price, worse than San Fran. I have retrained as well and gone into another field of work, and have done above average. However, almost all my middle class friends and family have moved away. The activities that we used to enjoy here, which many you continue to boast, are simply not enjoyable anymore due to the amount of people utilizing them. Parts of the popular mountain biking and hiking trails from those around the city and county clear up to Mt. Baker that used to be single track look like they've endured a cattle stampede. As a kid, the biggest worry we had was locking up our bikes at the mall when it first opened. Now, I would never let my kids bike to the mall here with all the sex offenders, homeless druggies, thieves, and bad/inattentive drivers.
As far as the downtown/beer garden thing, no. That's simply one thing where, for many people that like that kind of thing, Bellingham shines. Go walk or bike the trails into downtown (take your concealed carry or mace mind you), and there are plenty of micro breweries and downtown "scene" to go enjoy. People claim to come here for the skiing, the boating, the parks, the greenery/scenery, and pay a premium for it only to find out it's practically inaccessible. If we DOUBLED our parks, our boat launches, our lifts and ski runs, swim areas, and our trails to suit the population growth, we'd really have something. I'm not holding my breath, however.
The grass is greener? This grass has dried up and I've watched it happen.

Tell us please. What do you do for fun here? How long does it take you to find parking and/or wait in a big line to do that? Is a 90 minute line/wait, acceptable only because it was 2 hours, 3 hours, where you came from?

Old 08-14-2021, 02:57 AM

Location: Whatcom County, WA/Cherokee County, NC/Pike County, KY
447 posts, read 332,719 times
Whatcom public works does a horrible job paving roads. They don't care about the damage their bad work causes to vehicles. I would expect at least the same quality as most everywhere else in Washington.

Old 08-14-2021, 12:08 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,674,563 times
My granddaughter is living in Bham while attending Western Wa university, I've gone up to see her a few times and noted the towns growth over the last forty years or so, but no, it isn't that much different than most of the other desirable Wa towns of it's size. I often thought about moving to Bellingham, but the winters there can be a bit miserable when compared to the southern part of the state. But others weren't so offended by the weather and they came in droves to experience the beauty that Bellinham was noted for.

It seems as though some locals posting here are aghast at the effects of population growth, and because they've spent their lives in relative peace and quiet, they want more of that and not the consequences that comes with growth. That's understandable, but their complaints have zero effect on the reality at hand.

Moving on was and is the American standard response to change, beginning in the midwest when the farming belt wheat crop was an attractive opportunity for the hordes of naive and desperate easterners who saw "easy money" springing out of the dirt. Later the war effort in the forties brought the farm kids to the coastal areas to work in the shipyards, Boeing, and the myriad of other war supporting industries.

And through it all, Bellingham, and other parts of the state remained in isolation--Until THEY came. "They" are the come-lately folks who are running from high priced real estate, high taxes, too much traffic, too many people, crime, and all the negatives of overcrowded places. The sad truth lies in the fact that most of our heavily populated regions aren't keeping up with the basic services, with poor roads, schools, and more crime, becoming the norm.

Washington has a long history of attracting outsiders who are searching for a better life. And so does California, Oregon, and a lot of other states which have been overrun with people, and all that negative stuff that more people bring is brought along by those who have the best of intentions. After all, they were just wanting some of that peace and quiet so common in those once isolated quaint towns. We have met the enemy, and he--is us..

Old 08-15-2021, 01:23 PM

131 posts, read 323,072 times
Default New homes for all the newcomers!

This Bellingham-sponsored development is a mile away from my house and set in the middle of single family homes. 45 tiny homes for up to 135 jobless and homeless people!

Yes, it's for the people who can't afford my neighborhood, but by the Spirit of Castro, they deserve space near me!

Anti-Bellingham? Yah, there may be a valid reason.
Attached Thumbnails
Don't let anti-Bellingham/Whatcom County threads and posts fool you. Bellingham/Whatcom County is AWESOME!!-bellingham.jpg  

Old 08-16-2021, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
My granddaughter is living in Bham while attending Western Wa university, I've gone up to see her a few times and noted the towns growth over the last forty years or so, but no, it isn't that much different than most of the other desirable Wa towns of it's size. I often thought about moving to Bellingham, but the winters there can be a bit miserable when compared to the southern part of the state. But others weren't so offended by the weather and they came in droves to experience the beauty that Bellinham was noted for.

It seems as though some locals posting here are aghast at the effects of population growth, and because they've spent their lives in relative peace and quiet, they want more of that and not the consequences that comes with growth. That's understandable, but their complaints have zero effect on the reality at hand.

Moving on was and is the American standard response to change, beginning in the midwest when the farming belt wheat crop was an attractive opportunity for the hordes of naive and desperate easterners who saw "easy money" springing out of the dirt. Later the war effort in the forties brought the farm kids to the coastal areas to work in the shipyards, Boeing, and the myriad of other war supporting industries.

And through it all, Bellingham, and other parts of the state remained in isolation--Until THEY came. "They" are the come-lately folks who are running from high priced real estate, high taxes, too much traffic, too many people, crime, and all the negatives of overcrowded places. The sad truth lies in the fact that most of our heavily populated regions aren't keeping up with the basic services, with poor roads, schools, and more crime, becoming the norm.

Washington has a long history of attracting outsiders who are searching for a better life. And so does California, Oregon, and a lot of other states which have been overrun with people, and all that negative stuff that more people bring is brought along by those who have the best of intentions. After all, they were just wanting some of that peace and quiet so common in those once isolated quaint towns. We have met the enemy, and he--is us..
Well wrote, very true. I am a bit tolerant of the growth realizing that it isn't going to stop, my main complaint being the areas failure to accommodate it in so many ways. The Bellingham boat launch is a prime example, we've experienced massive increases in the number of boaters, which means more boating and fishing licenses and taxes/fee's collected.....which should equal more money for expansion of these venues so they aren't miserable to use. Yet, we still have the same old 2 docks and 4 lanes from nearly 40 years ago, and we actually went backwards with truck/trailer parking because the Port developed what used to be the overflow parking lots. Add to this the antics of the "new" users...instead of quickly launching their boat, moving it to the end of the dock so others can launch behind them, and then heading out, they'll tie it up blocking a whole lane and go have lunch at "The Loft". This kind of thing echo's through housing, parks, campsites, hiking and mountain biking trails, roads, shopping, and so on.

Old 09-17-2021, 09:27 AM

48 posts, read 29,471 times
My wife and I have lived in quite a few places since 1976.In smaller cities, in larger urban areas and in the suburbs of major centers.

Bellingham has been the most disappointing place to live for our situation....

If you are a rabid mountain biker/hiker/outdoors type of person it is great.

For anyone who yearns for cultural stimulation, diversity, decent restaurants ,personal safety ,respect for the city bylaws and enviroment,a responsible city government, good health care and ancillary services you need to look elsewhere.

Old 09-26-2021, 06:51 AM

131 posts, read 323,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabor25 View Post
For anyone who yearns for cultural stimulation, diversity, decent restaurants ,personal safety ,respect for the city bylaws and enviroment,a responsible city government, good health care and ancillary services you need to look elsewhere.
From today's Bellingham Herald: "Whatcom County has been approved as a resettlement site for refugees...Refugees (will be) be arriving from Syria, Venezuela, Myanmar and the Democratic Republic of Congo..."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington