Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2017, 07:15 PM

4,437 posts, read 5,348,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaterry78259 View Post
The desert starts in West San Antonio
Not even close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2017, 07:36 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,383,197 times
Quote:
Actually, it starts west of the Pecos River.

Old 03-21-2017, 06:05 PM

3,247 posts, read 9,052,777 times
Nada it is San Antonio

Old 03-24-2017, 06:30 PM

181 posts, read 642,979 times
I would say SA feels more like Hill Country than desert, but sometimes it is so dry and hot that it feels that way. I love coming from Houston on I-10, getting past Seguin, and those hills start. Houston is so flat and humid, the dry, dusty hills of SA remind me of home!

Old 03-29-2017, 09:55 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times
Quote:
Well, several hundred miles west of San Antonio. Desert is usually defined by 10" of rain or less per year, which doesn't happen until you get out toward the Big Bend area. You don't get down to 20" annual rainfall until about Terrell County, 200 miles west of San Antonio.

Old 03-29-2017, 10:29 AM

74 posts, read 88,963 times
San Antonio isn't forgotten, just overlooked. What makes San Antonio a great city is the people and the culture which you really have to be a part of or surrounded by for some period of time to experience. From the outside looking in, it's not special. As a transplant, SA felt super antique and dusty to me when I first got here. I didn't truly appreciate it's beauty for what it was until later. Dallas, Houston, and Austin have way more appeal and coolness factors about them, but none of them beat SA's charm.

I like to think of Houston, Dallas and Austin as supermodel girls (Austin being the alternative tatted up one lol). They are hot and sexy and everyone does a double take looking at them, but there isn't as much substance in being with them. San Antonio isn't the hottest or sexiest when compared but she is attractive in her own right and her personality blows the rest out of the water. That metaphor isn't to say that the other cities lack character or substance (Houston is my side chick <3), but you get what I'm trying to say.

Also, the other cities definitely promote themselves and put their positives and attractions on display. San Antonio doesn't do that, but you can find hidden gems that are worth promoting all the time. I'm also really happy that SA doesn't promote itself because then it would lose what makes it SA in the same way people from Austin feel they are losing their city.

Old 03-29-2017, 02:04 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,226,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trademark0013 View Post
San Antonio isn't forgotten, just overlooked. What makes San Antonio a great city is the people and the culture which you really have to be a part of or surrounded by for some period of time to experience. From the outside looking in, it's not special. As a transplant, SA felt super antique and dusty to me when I first got here. I didn't truly appreciate it's beauty for what it was until later. Dallas, Houston, and Austin have way more appeal and coolness factors about them, but none of them beat SA's charm.

I like to think of Houston, Dallas and Austin as supermodel girls (Austin being the alternative tatted up one lol). They are hot and sexy and everyone does a double take looking at them, but there isn't as much substance in being with them. San Antonio isn't the hottest or sexiest when compared but she is attractive in her own right and her personality blows the rest out of the water. That metaphor isn't to say that the other cities lack character or substance (Houston is my side chick <3), but you get what I'm trying to say.

Also, the other cities definitely promote themselves and put their positives and attractions on display. San Antonio doesn't do that, but you can find hidden gems that are worth promoting all the time. I'm also really happy that SA doesn't promote itself because then it would lose what makes it SA in the same way people from Austin feel they are losing their city.
Great post. Yes, it takes a while to understand SA's culture and appreciate the charm.

Old 03-29-2017, 10:53 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
I love me some SA. Great town.

Old 04-04-2017, 12:30 AM

2,074 posts, read 1,643,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Brock View Post
Whenever I hear people talking about Texas always hear about Austin, Dallas,and Houston but rarely about San Antonio. Is there a reason for this?

Is San Antonio less developed than the other Texas cities or what is going on?
No definitely not. I lived in Austin for a year. For Native Texans the "vibe" I got was that they talked about the "Alamo" as if it had happened yesterday. Many of the lakes, rivers, parks, businesses, etc. are named after participants in the "Alamo" and the subsequent "Battle of San Jacinto". Sam Houston, Colonel Travis, Davey Crockett, etc. all have places, parks, schools, businesses, etc. named after them throughout the state.
I love Texas. I didn't want to leave. But I had to return to Florida because I was unable to sell my house.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLux126OJbY

Old 04-04-2017, 02:03 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,623,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorChip View Post
For a tourist San Antonio is a boring city, in a single day you can walk the few points of interest.

Dallas or Houston are more sophisticated, with more things to see and better restaurants and commercial offerings. Even Austin is more interesting than San Antonio.

People go to San Antonio for shopping and return to Mexico, nothing interesting to see: The river, the malls, 2 theme parks and the zoo, and that´s it.
Not even from San Antonio but it's definitely the most tourist friendly city in Texas. Houston is definitely my favorite city but it's not as tourist friendly as San-Tone, DFW has a little more going for itself and even it's not as tourist friendly. Now if you just want to visit each city and not do the tourist thing but do as the locals do then Houston and DFW would offer more imo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas