Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 08:06 AM

7 posts, read 16,411 times

Advertisements

Hey guys Tamorris here, and I'm trying to figure out the best possible way to break into the oilfield. I'm 22 without any experience in the oil and gas industry. I've been working since the age of 12 have an degree in HVAC. I don't mind the hard work, long hours, or weather conditions. I've worked in tempertures ranging from the highs of over 100F to the lows of below 0(yes it has gotten lower than 0 in MS this year). I like working with my hands and love to help others in need of help. So if anybody can give me an ideal of where to begin or any job openings that offer training that would be much appreciated. Please no references to ND and relocating is not a problem if offered a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2014, 10:23 AM

3,491 posts, read 6,970,756 times
maybe roughneck or trucker.

Old 02-06-2014, 01:41 PM

I've checked out roustabout positions and they're saying they want at least 1 year exp.

Old 02-06-2014, 03:47 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,263,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamorris20 View Post
I've checked out roustabout positions and they're saying they want at least 1 year exp.
You can always tell with the oilfield is starting to get saturated with help when they start requiring experience. I mean, they've always required it but it's something they where willing over look when their hard up for workers. I got a job hauling fuel straight out of CDL school for example. Trucking in general requires 2yrs experience, especially hauling Hazmat. But I was behind the wheel of my own tanker within minutes of showing my boss my Hazmat approval letter.

Anyhow, CDL is king in the oilfield but there are plenty of jobs in the oilfield that doesn't require experience or a CDL. Water transfer for example is a brainless job. You connect 10' X 10" diameter aluminum piping together to supply frack crews with fresh water. Once connected, you monitor the water during each stage of the pumping. The rest of the time you're sleeping or watching movies. They pay around $9-12/hr and work 40-70hrs if not more. Another option would try hiring on as a Frack hand.

Old 02-06-2014, 10:44 PM

433 posts, read 660,336 times
Is Cdl work hard and how is the pay

Old 02-07-2014, 08:20 AM

58 posts, read 97,311 times
Your best bet is a Roughneck. It's the probably the least desireable position in the oilfield business - MANY people sign on and don't make it, plus there's always new well being drilled so there is always a need, but as stated above, it doesn't take long to fill it because of how saturated the basic labor force is of O&G.

It's important to understand that Roustabout is a very broad term. They don't just do one specific job in the oil fields. There are ones that work on the drilling rig and assist the drillers. These are kind of the lowest level of Roughnecks - and the entry level position on a drilling rig. Generally, this is where everyone starts out on a Rig. There are also Roustabouts that work for Roustabout Companies that do very random work around well sites. Mostly, cleaning, mowing, and servicing equipment. They generally don't engage in drilling activities or production activites.

There are also Roustabouts that work for well servicing companies that assist in operators pre and post drilling, but are still in operations that are a part of production. Such as this position for Key Energy:

Key Energy Careers

If that link doesn't work, check out the entry level Roustabout position for Key Energy in Brownfield TX

You need to look in the Areas of West Texas (Midland, Odessa) and the Panhandle area as well as towards the Coast (Alice, Beeville) this is where the most drilling activity is located. You also need to research well servicing/Drilling companies like Key, Baker Hughes, Nabors, etc. There are many servicing companies that are small and local operations that aren't as well known. Generally, you apply in person to the more local agencies.

Honestly, if the job is for an entry-level floor hand (Roustabout) and it says 1 year experience, STILL APPLY. Not many people with one year experience on a drilling floor would still be looking for entry-level jobs. If they're worth anything they'd be promoted to some other position on the floor by then. They're most likely just trying to weed out those who haven't done any kind of manual labor before.

You're best best to get a job? Move to one of these book-towns, find a smaller, less prestigous operator and apply in person.

Also:

Old 02-07-2014, 09:03 AM

334 posts, read 584,993 times
The advice given so far is helpful, especially that you apply anyway if you don't have the 1 year of experience needed.

Try to meet and talk with those already working in the field.

I do not recommend direct rig work. In ol' Granny's opinion, it is too risky and the pay is NOT often as high as what word-of-mouth says it is.

Try for PUMPER. The pumper goes out and reads gauges. Good pay, not as much risk. Most companies directly hire their pumpers. Send a resume to every company you can find. Ask your library to borrow a copy or help you find a copy of the oil and gas monthly mags and get the addresses or names of the companies from there. Also, try for DISPATCHER. Good pay although boring.

Old 02-07-2014, 09:40 AM

I really do appreciate the advece and information in gettin from u guys I can't thank you enough. I knew I made right choice for joinin this foorum. And I've done some research on roustabout and frac. I'm going to take a look at pumper also I don't know about dispatcher since you say its boring Ms Fats lol. I'm more of a gettin my hands dirty type of guy. Imma go do some research on these other positions and I would like 2 thank u all again for the help u just don't know how much I appreciate it

Old 02-07-2014, 10:29 AM

4,153 posts, read 9,263,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo45 View Post
Is Cdl work hard and how is the pay
It depends on the work.

An over the road driver spends most of their time driving a truck while and oilfield driver could spend a considerable time less driving but be more involved with the job. Over the road drivers generally get paid by the mile while oilfield workers generally get aid by the hour. CDL drivers have a set amount of hours they can drive each week, generally 11 hrs or 14 hrs a day and 98 hrs a week. Once they reach that amount, they must go off duty for 34 hours straight. There is an oilfield exemption that allows oilfield drivers to reset in just 24hrs straight. An oilfield driver can generally meet their 98 hrs in 4-5 days and take the 5th or 6th day off allowing them an extra 1 or 2 of work per week...aka 22-28 hrs more than an over the road driver.

As for actual work, it really depends on what you do. An over the road trucker spends most of their time driving while an oilfield driver spends most of their time parked. I was what you call a local driver, meaning I only drove a maximum of 100-115 miles one way from the yard. Although I did spent a lot of time driving an hour or 2, there where times I only drove 10-15 mins from the yard. My work days was 10-14hrs but I only physically worked half that or less. The work wasn't really demanding but the long hours can be rough. The oilfield is notorious for working you past the legal mandated work hours. Most people don't mind since it's generally more over time. I spent a many of nights out on site...42hrs straight once. That is driving a day cab which is also a no no since it doesn't have a Sleeper birth. Again, most guys don't complain because they make gobs of overtime hours. My regular pay was more than what some burger flipper made and my Overtime pay was usually 2-3 times that. I was making 2-3 truck payments at a time and still had plenty of money left over. The downside is I never saw my family. I got home after they went to bed and I left before they woke up. I never knew when I was going to work late and rarely had cell service. So my wife didn't know if I was alive or ran off with someone. I enjoyed the work but not seeing them got old fast. If you're single, the oilfield is a good place, if you're married, you may want to think about it some more.

Old 02-07-2014, 12:08 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,970,756 times
pumpers require a 2-year degree
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas