Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 12:12 PM

334 posts, read 584,993 times

Advertisements

You are welcome.

Try Chevron, Halliburton, Schlumberger (pronouced Slumber-Jay), Pioneer, Parsley, Concho, and Endeavor in the Permian Basin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2014, 11:38 AM

7 posts, read 16,411 times
ok just finished up on my research and I think I'll go frac operator assistant. From what I've looked up so far I think I'll fit pretty well with the time on and off, salary, hours. Before I apply for the position i would like to know if there's anything else I should do. And I'm still checking into those companies granny fats

Old 02-10-2014, 08:00 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerntraveler View Post
pumpers require a 2-year degree
Where are you getting this information? Compressor experience or something comparable would be sufficient.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamorris20 View Post
ok just finished up on my research and I think I'll go frac operator assistant. From what I've looked up so far I think I'll fit pretty well with the time on and off, salary, hours. Before I apply for the position i would like to know if there's anything else I should do. And I'm still checking into those companies granny fats
Frac is the best place to start! Where are you planning to move and work?

Do you have a clean driving and criminal record? If not, this will go against you but doesn't necessarily completely disqualify you.

Good references as to your work ethic would be a real plus. The hours are long.

Old 02-10-2014, 09:13 AM

7 posts, read 16,411 times
@KathrynAragon Well b4 I move I would like to already have a guaranteed job. I've been checkin out opening positions at Halliburton. So if I can get on with them I'll be willing to move to whatever town that is closest to the job. But I dnt mind staying in a cheap motel either. As for my driving record its pretty decent I wouldn't say its really bad considering the job I have now they checked it and I was still hired on and even given a service truck. And I don't have a criminal record. But I was wondering if my height and weight would be an issue im 5'8 123lb and a helluva worker.

Old 02-10-2014, 09:56 AM

7,887 posts, read 11,401,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamorris20 View Post
@KathrynAragon Well b4 I move I would like to already have a guaranteed job. I've been checkin out opening positions at Halliburton. So if I can get on with them I'll be willing to move to whatever town that is closest to the job. But I dnt mind staying in a cheap motel either. As for my driving record its pretty decent I wouldn't say its really bad considering the job I have now they checked it and I was still hired on and even given a service truck. And I don't have a criminal record. But I was wondering if my height and weight would be an issue im 5'8 123lb and a helluva worker.

OP your desire and work ethic come through your communications as well. Harding, diligent and flexible are much more important that size imho and experience. Welcome to Texas and the great economic engine known as oil and gas

Old 02-10-2014, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
OP your desire and work ethic come through your communications as well. Harding, diligent and flexible are much more important that size imho and experience. Welcome to Texas and the great economic engine known as oil and gas
You took the words right out of my mouth.

GOOD LUCK, OP!

Old 02-10-2014, 11:20 AM

875 posts, read 1,660,850 times
I would suggest getting a TWIC card and applying for some entry level positions that don't require a degree or experience. Most entry level positions require you to test. A change is happening however, I'm starting to see a lot of entry level positions require at least a associate degree to even test or apply unless you "know" someone in the field. From my experience, the O&G field is a "all in who you know" type of industry. If you don't have a degree or experience, and you don't live in Texas, it's very difficult to get "on with a company" unless you have a engineering degree. Now, you can still enter the field without experience but most folks I know who do that start out as scaffold builders (which can tire you out) or picking up trash around the refineries/fields.

Good Luck

Old 02-10-2014, 11:58 AM

334 posts, read 584,993 times
tamorris if you can get an old RV you can park it in a "man camp" and save yourself considerable money.

I don't think your weight and height are against you, many of the workers are slight. Just keep your eyes peeled and be ready to get out of the way if something breaks loose.

Pumpers don't need a degree. We hire ours just on word of mouth, friend to friend. Some did not finish high school.

Frac helper is good. The oil field talk can be very rude; don't let them get under your skin, they might get tired of trash-talking.

Old 02-10-2014, 12:32 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,263,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny Fats View Post
The oil field talk can be very rude; don't let them get under your skin, they might get tired of trash-talking.
Yup, an oilfield worker could probably make a Sailor Blush

OP, don't take anything serious or personal and you'll be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas