Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2024, 05:24 PM

751 posts, read 1,481,661 times

Advertisements

[quote=BobTex;66453048
If it was me I'd try to get in on the refinery maintenance side which means mostly along the coast, somewhere from western Mississippi(Pascagoula) down to Corpus Christi, Tx. This area is almost solid oil and gas refining. Get your foot in the door. Also might get introduced to the offshore industry which is where the exploration money is.[/QUOTE]

I work in O&G, offshore in the Gulf.

Refinery maintenance side mentioned here is the best bet out of all the advice given. Tough to get into, but these will set you up for a lifetime career, with a solid income.

The offshore industry though.... Exceedingly difficult to get in the production side without a lot of years experience in maintenance crafts. As an operator, near impossible to get in with a major without previous small scale operator offshore experience. Always subject to layoffs.

Exploration money in offshore industry.... That part of the industry is tough to break into without previous experience, and is really fickle. Those companies drilling offshore in the GOM work contract to contract on wells, and not all of them have a very deep log of upcoming campaigns. The cost of drilling a well in deepwater is mind boggling. This part of the industry is VERY subject to layoffs, especially to new folks.

Well workover in deepwater though, there is a lot of work. Many of the same drillships doing subsea drilling, also do subsea workovers. Again, without experience it is gonna be tough to get on, and subject to layoffs when the work dries up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2024, 12:47 PM

966 posts, read 514,798 times
I would just go up to people in these companies and ask them how you go about getting hired. If you're courteous, a hard worker and determined, you'll find a way. The old saying is still true, it ain't what you know but who you know. The more people you talk to, the better your chances.

Just keep in mind it is dangerous work. That's why they pay so well. My cousin married a guy who was barely 20. His first real job was as a roustabout on a rig, and he was killed when a cable snapped and hit him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas