Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2007, 06:38 PM

9 posts, read 20,593 times

Advertisements

I recently lost my job due to corporate takeover in LA (thank you for the sign Lord. YEAH!!!) and I have been having tough time finding one that pays LIVING WAGES in this dump called LOS ANGELES, or LOX ANHELES as the Mexicans here call it. Add to that, I have a wife whom I'm supporting due to her being new to the country. We've been married for two years now, but she's been to the US for only a year. In addition to all this my landlord has been threating me with a lawsuit if we delay the rent again.
So after 5 months of me being without a job and wasting our savings away, wife and I decided that exodus out of here to either Houston or Dallas/FTW is the right choice for us.
However, I don't have a job lined up in either Houston or Dallas/FTW, but we're going to do this anyway since I already gave my landlord (the scoundrel) a notice that we're moving out next month and I can't bare another minute in LA! I always feel that any change in my life is going to do more good to me than bad.
Just a background note, I was in the insurance industry before I was laid off and it rarely pays bills here. So the question is: which of these cities (Houston/Dallas) has the best opportunity for insurance professionals? Before you say "do a job search on Monster.com and you'll see," trust me I already did and it's hard to tell if the prospects are good. I'm also willing to get into any industry related to insurance such as finance, sales, real estate, financial advising or any other darn thing which will make me a living. What are the prospects for these types of jobs in these Texas cities, or any other city in TX or US for that matter? What jobs would you recommend and why?
Please help people!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2007, 10:02 PM

536 posts, read 1,539,886 times
As for Health insurance industry..try Blue Cross Blue Shield in Abilene and Wichita Falls. I worked for the one in Abilene and was lied to so I quit after nearly a year there. My ex girlfriend worked for the one in Wichita Falls and told me what their policies were and what quotas, etc. I turned around and showed it all to my supervisor and told her where to stuff it because she had me working OT just to meet HER quotas so that she would look good to her supervisors. She was shocked and I told her I had friends in both high and low places also heard the Palestine one was quite good but nobody wants to live there because it's rural. You don't want to live in Abilene, trust me. Wichita Falls is alright. Personally, I wouldn't mind moving to Palestine or WF.

Old 11-16-2007, 07:18 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,709,663 times
Houston would probably be a good place to look, as it's going through a growth spurt again. Look into Austin too. It's booming around here too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas