Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 08:47 PM

83 posts, read 249,308 times

Advertisements

My fiance and I are considering a move to Syracuse, and we are in the initial stages of the planning process on where to stay.

She will be working in the Upstate Medical, while I currently work in Utica. I do not mind doing the bulk of the travelling, so we are thinking maybe anything from North to East Syrcause would be fine.

Our likes: we are looking for surburbs (we are not country people), with a nice selection of locally-owned, non-chain restaurants. Also important would be the ease of access to major stores like Walmart, Wegmans, Target, Panera Bread and so on.

We are planning to rent for a year or so, and then buy a house.

Any help or suggestion would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 10:03 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crease123 View Post
My fiance and I are considering a move to Syracuse, and we are in the initial stages of the planning process on where to stay.

She will be working in the Upstate Medical, while I currently work in Utica. I do not mind doing the bulk of the travelling, so we are thinking maybe anything from North to East Syrcause would be fine.

Our likes: we are looking for surburbs (we are not country people), with a nice selection of locally-owned, non-chain restaurants. Also important would be the ease of access to major stores like Walmart, Wegmans, Target, Panera Bread and so on.

Well, with my limited experience I'll chime in until someone with more knowledge answers you

Since you don't mind doing the bulk of the driving and she's working at the medical center I'd say one of your best bets is Fayetteville. You could meet more in the middle and each have to drive about 30 miles to make it more even, but if you want to stay in the Syracuse area this would be one of the more popular suburbs with access to all you are looking for

Old 01-09-2010, 11:24 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,997,783 times
From what you're describing, Fayetteville/Manlius probably would be your first place to look, possibly some of the newer parts of town of Dewitt towards Minoa. Most of the northern suburbs that fit what you're looking for would become a pain for both of you; the eastern suburbs would probably be your best bet.

Depending on the feel you like, there are also smaller villages with some suburban style development further east towards Cazenovia and Chittenango. Unfortunately, the furthest east Wegmans goes in this area is the "Fayetteville" (Dewitt) store near 481.

Old 01-10-2010, 10:27 AM

Thanks to Lovemountains and Acknight for your suggestions.

Acknight: may i ask why you say that the northern suburbs will be a pain to us?

We did a little driving around yesterday, in Dewitt and Cicero. Maybe we are not driving in the right area of town, but we weren't too impressed with Dewitt. Seems a little on the boring side.

Cicero seems like a pretty good place, with Walmart, Target, Wegmans and so on.

My fiance is wondering whether there are any nice area to stay in Syracuse itself. Somewhere safe, so not the downtown area obviously. Any suggestions?

Old 01-10-2010, 10:43 AM

357 posts, read 968,329 times
If your looking for an area within the city itself then the East side near Meadowbrook Rd would probably be your best bet. It borders dewitt on one side and SU/Medical center on the other side but has a somewhat different vibe then the suburb or SU. It has a number of basics nearby in the Drumlins plaza including Drumlins country club and grocery store and just up the road from that is a gas station, drug store, bagal shop and others. I used to live in that area and walked or biked to a lot including the library off wescott street. It's a very safe area and community centered area. I used to know most of my neigbors because a lot of people jog, walk animals or garden in that area.

Old 01-10-2010, 11:43 AM

Thanks Becky.

Im doing some research on real estate online, and it seems that Dewitt and Manlius have some nice houses for an attractive price.

However, we are slightly concerned with the things-to-do in these areas. We drove around Dewitt yesterday, and it seems kinda dull, except for the Wegmans there.

Can someone give us a little more insight into these two locations, especially in regards to our "likes" mentioned in the first post:

Old 01-10-2010, 12:07 PM

2,440 posts, read 5,759,133 times
The *village* of Manlius would be your best bet, I think. You're within walking distance to all that's already here (I'll bump my photo thread), a five-minute ride to Fayetteville for big-box shopping, a 10-15 minute commute to downtown Syracuse and 45 minutes, at worst, down Rte. 5 to Utica.

Dewitt isn't much, other than stores and houses, but you didn't drive east far enough to get to Fayetteville or Manlius... keep heading that way a few miles.

Old 01-10-2010, 04:05 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,997,783 times
Quote:
Thanks to Lovemountains and Acknight for your suggestions.

Acknight: may i ask why you say that the northern suburbs will be a pain to us?

We did a little driving around yesterday, in Dewitt and Cicero. Maybe we are not driving in the right area of town, but we weren't too impressed with Dewitt. Seems a little on the boring side.

Cicero seems like a pretty good place, with Walmart, Target, Wegmans and so on.

My fiance is wondering whether there are any nice area to stay in Syracuse itself. Somewhere safe, so not the downtown area obviously. Any suggestions?
Most of the areas that are nicer within the city limits you're less likely to find a place to rent in. There are good neighborhoods (Meadowbrook, for the most part, is similar to many suburbs for the most part; Strathmore though that's way out of the way from what you're describing; Sedgwick off James Street northeast of downtown) around.

I warned against the northern suburbs more in terms of distance than much else. There's not much up there that you don't get in the eastern suburbs, with added commute time. The other consideration has more to do with winter driving; the general rule of thumb is that north of the Thruway gets more snow and harsher weather than south of it.

That combined with the construction project starting up on 81 just north of downtown (which will last through November, and if last year's project is any indication will slow commuting time through that area significantly) is why I figured you'd probably want to avoid there.

They're all pretty good places. But my fiance commutes to and from Verona every day from the east side, and she has coworkers from the northern suburbs whose commutes are almost twice as long as hers due to traffic and the added distance.

Old 01-10-2010, 04:55 PM

3,512 posts, read 9,426,438 times
Quote:

Going by what you said, I think you are definitely a northern suburb type of person. I too think DeWitt is overrated. Fayetteville and Manlius are nice places with many upscale neighborhoods, but other than that there isn't much there other than the stores and restaurants at the Fayetteville Towne Center. A good looking shopping center with Target, Kohl's, Panera Bread etc.

You'll need to head to Erie Blvd or East Syracuse for most other shops and restaurants. And that is reason enough for me not to highly endorse the eastern suburbs.

The northern suburbs are also much less expensive in terms of how much house you can get for your money too. Generally, if you rent a house anywhere south of the Thruway, 9 times out of 10 you'll end up in a less than desirable neighborhood.

Cicero is a good choice, but rentals might be hard to find there. I'd see if you can find a rental in the Village of North Syracuse or around there. Though the village of North Syracuse looks a little tired and isn't one of the better villages around here, you'll be close enough to surrounding suburbs and towns which are very nice places to live IMO. Since the northern suburbs are the largest in size....over 150,000 in population...you'll find many more local restaurants and shops than anywhere else besides in the city.

North Syracuse, to me at least, really is the center of all the growing areas in the northern suburbs. Lots of new homes, new stores and new development up here compared to anywhere else in the Syracuse area.

Last edited by bellafinzi; 01-10-2010 at 06:00 PM..

Old 01-10-2010, 06:38 PM

255 posts, read 694,891 times
Less expensive area with all you need/want... Westvale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area