Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2009, 12:46 PM

83 posts, read 249,780 times

Advertisements

Hi to everyone.

My fiance and I are planning to move to Syracuse in ~1 year's time, and we are making preliminary research on areas to move to.

Some factors affecting our decision: I'm currently working in Utica, and would like to keep my job when I move there, and my fiance would be working in the Syracuse University hospital. With these in mind, what would be a good medium in terms of location for us to live in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 03:00 PM

93,650 posts, read 124,375,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crease123 View Post
Hi to everyone.

My fiance and I are planning to move to Syracuse in ~1 year's time, and we are making preliminary research on areas to move to.

Some factors affecting our decision: I'm currently working in Utica, and would like to keep my job when I move there, and my fiance would be working in the Syracuse University hospital. With these in mind, what would be a good medium in terms of location for us to live in?

Canastota or Oneida would be perfect.

http://www.canastota.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canastota,_New_York

http://www.oneidacity.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oneida,_New_York

Old 06-02-2009, 03:50 PM

3,524 posts, read 9,439,012 times
Chittenango

Old 06-03-2009, 07:22 PM

229 posts, read 691,925 times
That's not a bad commute... But you should probably take the day off/work from home during a major snowstorm. Last winter, I had to drive to Utica from Syracuse, and it was snowing really hard. A car crashed, and was blocking the freeway. I sat there without moving for 3 hours. When the accident cleared, so much snow had accumulated on the freeway that half of the cars were stuck... That added another 2 hours. That is my worst winter driving experience since moving here.

Old 06-04-2009, 07:59 AM

845 posts, read 1,689,786 times
Eastern suburbs if you want her to have a shorter commute or out in Chittenango / Oneida if you want to be closer to the center and have the Utica commute be a bit shorter. When the weather gets really bad it's worth taking the county and state highways that are not limited access roads (Rte 90 from Syracuse to Utica is not technically a freeway because it's a toll road).

If the two of you are younger folks and inclined to get out to sporting events, live music, regualr dining out in interesting and contemporary restaurants etc. rather than being homebodies.... you'll be spending much more of your off-work time in Syracuse rather than Utica or in any small towns in between the two cities. That's a factor to consider. Utica has the Munson-Williams Proctor Institute - an excellent small art museum - and also has lots of good traditional Italian restaurants and bakeries... but beyond that the action is mostly all in Syracuse.

Old 06-04-2009, 10:45 AM

Maybe the Vernon-Verona-Sherill area might be good too.

Old 06-06-2009, 05:40 PM

83 posts, read 249,780 times
Thanks for all the replies guys, really appreciate it. Are any of the areas mentioned (Canastota, Oneidad, Chittenango) etc. very rural-y? We like to be around with some neighbours, and not surrounded by woods.

Old 06-06-2009, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crease123 View Post
Thanks for all the replies guys, really appreciate it. Are any of the areas mentioned (Canastota, Oneidad, Chittenango) etc. very rural-y? We like to be around with some neighbours, and not surrounded by woods.
Oneida is a "city" of about 10,000. Canastota is a village of about 4500 and has the Boxing Hall of Fame. Chittenango has about 5000 within it's village limits. All are pretty affordable and once you leave each, it is pretty rural. Nearby is Sylvan Beach too. It is a nice little resort community in that area: Sylvan Beach, New York

Sylvan - Verona Beach Resort Association, Sylvan Beach, NY

The Sylvan Beach Amusement Park
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area