Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 07:39 PM

2 posts, read 70,059 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

I am planning on moving to Syracuse in about a month for a new job and was wondering if anyone could offer some good advise on where to live. I am a young, female professional in my mid 20's. I am looking to live in a safe neighborhood, but also be able to have acess to getting to downtown to restaurants, bars, etc. If anyone could offer any advice I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!
Amy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2007, 09:06 PM

3,513 posts, read 9,428,585 times
Assuming you are not looking to move downtown or be within walking distance of work or downtown bars....I'd look into the northern suburbs of Syracuse. They are much more vibrant and alive compared to any other suburb or neighborhoods in Syracuse itself. And much safer than living in the city. Plus the northern suburbs are more affordable than the eastern or western suburbs. The North Syracuse area is sort of the hub of the northern suburbs. It's very close to Interstate 81, which provides easy access to downtown and the bars in Armory Square.

Old 05-06-2007, 09:32 AM

2 posts, read 70,059 times
Are there any specific town names to look for in the northern suburbs? Do you know of any good sources to look for apts? Thank you.

Old 05-06-2007, 09:43 AM

172 posts, read 846,987 times
Well, if you want to be closer to main street life, villages such as Baldwinsville, North Syracuse and Liverpool are good bets. If you want to have a more suburban lifestyle, Cicero, Clay and Lysander are strong choices in the north suburbs. They are all reasonably close to the interstate, so getting to Syracuse won't be a problem. If you are looking for apartments, go through the real estate section of syracuse.com, there should be plenty of listings for you to check out, and determine what is best for you.

Old 05-09-2007, 07:29 PM

3,513 posts, read 9,428,585 times
vicarian answered your questions really well.

Willow Stream Apartments in Liverpool/Clay is near lots of stores and restaurants on Route 31 plus there's an exit on I-481 close by. Its a safe area where a lot of things are happening, but it's pretty far away from downtown, about 20 minutes. Not sure where you are moving from, but it could be a long commute for you if you work downtown or want to frequent the bars in Armory Square.

A link to info about Willow Stream Apartments:
http://www.move.com/searchresults.as...pool&styp=rent

Old 01-12-2011, 07:55 PM

1 posts, read 28,505 times
I am moving to Syracuse, NY with my job. I am married and have a young son and daughter. I would like to move in a good school district (Elementary School) with alot of kids activities. Do you have any recommendation? Please recommend an affordable area, if you can.
Thanks a million

Old 01-12-2011, 10:21 PM

655 posts, read 2,328,492 times
Default Welcome to Syracuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by alm8500 View Post
Hello Everyone,

I am planning on moving to Syracuse in about a month for a new job and was wondering if anyone could offer some good advise on where to live. I am a young, female professional in my mid 20's. I am looking to live in a safe neighborhood, but also be able to have acess to getting to downtown to restaurants, bars, etc. If anyone could offer any advice I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!
Amy
Hello,

Considering what you outlined above, I would suggest you look at apartments in Liverpool (largest number of apartment complexes in Metro Syracuse), Cicero, or Baldwinsville. These are all nice, safe, decent suburban towns. Below are a few apartment complexes you can consider but there are numerous other complexes.

Cicero, NY.>>> Cobblestone Square Apartments, Cobblestone Drive (off South Bay Road), Cicero, NY 13039. Phone: 315-699-5204.
www.move.com/
email: cobblesq@twcny.rr.com

Liverpool, NY.>>> ABC Estate Apartments - $620
http://liverpool-newyork.olx.com/pic...e-iid-44558048

Liverpool, NY.>>> Hampton Estate Townhouses - $660
http://liverpool-newyork.olx.com/730...s-iid-44549532

Baldwinsville east>>> Kimbrook Manor Apartments - $590
http://baldwinsville.olx.com/8402-th...r-iid-44549540

To see a street map where these places are located, click on the link line below and enter the appropriate information. Then click on, "GET MAP".
www.mapblast.com/

There are nightlife places in the suburbs as well as the city. Pick up a copy of "The Syracuse New Times", free at inside entrances of restaurants, grocery stores, and pharmacies which lists all the nightlife places, etc. ..Also ask your new co-workers if you want to. Visit the "Armory Square" area with a couple women co-workers of yours so you feel secure and can enjoy conversation at the businesses there.

Best of luck in your new job and welcome to Metro Syracuse.

Old 01-12-2011, 10:49 PM

655 posts, read 2,328,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TW3808 View Post
I am moving to Syracuse, NY with my job. I am married and have a young son and daughter. I would like to move in a good school district (Elementary School) with alot of kids activities. Do you have any recommendation? Please recommend an affordable area, if you can.
Thanks a million
Hello TW3808,

Okay. Sure we can. Can you tell us if you plan to rent for now or buy a home immediately and what is your price range. That will help us "steer" you in the "right direction".

New Homes.
http://www.ryanhomes.com/Sorrento_16720.html

http://www.ryanhomes.com/Sienna_16205.html

Old 01-13-2011, 08:12 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,759,591 times
Liverpool - zip codes 13088 and 13090. Downtown Syracuse is a few minutes' jaunt down Onondaga Parkway>I-81, from the Village of Liverpool.

The village is safe, affordable and within walking distance to village shops, amenities and the HUGE Onondaga Lake Park... they have sports' fields, biking/walking/running/rolling trails, a trolley, the Salt Museum and St. Marie living museum (French/Indian village within) across the street, lots of events, HUGE playground and sprinkler system for the warm weather and a skate park right next to it. You can watch your kids skate AND play on the playground at the same time. It's awesome.

May I suggest Covered Bridge Apartments, on Vine Street? Rent is affordable and heat/hot water/plowing/shoveling/maintenance are included. That will save you a LOT of money and worry... my electric bill was only $25/mo., when I lived there, and I had no gas/heating costs to worry about. It's also on the Centro bus line (right at the entry driveway), in case your vehicle is in the shop at some point. They also have a pool w/lifeguard, in the summertime.

Old 01-13-2011, 09:01 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,527,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
Liverpool - zip codes 13088 and 13090. Downtown Syracuse is a few minutes' jaunt down Onondaga Parkway>I-81, from the Village of Liverpool.

The village is safe, affordable and within walking distance to village shops, amenities and the HUGE Onondaga Lake Park... they have sports' fields, biking/walking/running/rolling trails, a trolley, the Salt Museum and St. Marie living museum (French/Indian village within) across the street, lots of events, HUGE playground and sprinkler system for the warm weather and a skate park right next to it. You can watch your kids skate AND play on the playground at the same time. It's awesome.

May I suggest Covered Bridge Apartments, on Vine Street? Rent is affordable and heat/hot water/plowing/shoveling/maintenance are included. That will save you a LOT of money and worry... my electric bill was only $25/mo., when I lived there, and I had no gas/heating costs to worry about. It's also on the Centro bus line (right at the entry driveway), in case your vehicle is in the shop at some point. They also have a pool w/lifeguard, in the summertime.
I can't say enough good things about the Village of Liverpool! I lived in greater Liverpool for a year while I was attempting to finally get into the Village - moved in September and absolutely love it! Very people friendly, very walkable village, and lots to do!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area