Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 12:51 PM

23 posts, read 49,671 times

Advertisements

Okay, my family and I are in the process of moving from the NYC area in about 1 or 2 years (saving money and finalizing a few things). Some background two elementary age boys (one being high functioning autistic, ADD...). I acknowledge NYC as being one of the great cities of the US if not the world, however it has gotten too be too grimy, crime ridden, hate the subways, general unpleasantness of people,basically were done. Not sure if anyone understand the OPWDD process, it maintains that my son does have a disability, and we were told that it is good for the entire state of NY, hence why were trying to stay in NY. I have read that the Syracuse area is good for special needs, I'm not looking for utopia( Just don't want to go from the pot to the fire), however I have read mixed reviews as to the livability regarding, economic depression, negativity of the people, run down downtown, crime etc... Please to those living there is it being revitalized or is it a downward spiral. And is the special needs schools pretty standard throughout Syracuse, any districts to avoid regarding lack of special needs services. We would like to stay for at least ten years or more. By the way I am a registered nurse , husband is a truck driver are these good prospects for the job market. On a side note I have fallen in love with Ithaca's online profile, all the crunchiness, local farmers market, it just seems so clean, crisp air, waterfalls and educated folks. The thing is with all the research I'm doing I can't get any up to date info regarding how the special needs population is treated from school age to adults. Also the job market for nursing and trucking in Ithaca. I have asked alot however this forum seems to really give good info. Also I don't drive plan too start soon so I will need public transportation for a while in the beginning. Thanks in advance

Last edited by PlumPlum; 08-31-2014 at 12:55 PM.. Reason: visibility
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2014, 01:05 PM

2,440 posts, read 5,758,699 times
I'm busy today so I can't give a detailed post, but I'd start looking in the Jamesville-Dewitt (a district that can well afford to employ special needs' staff, already does, won't protest, and is used to parents insisting on certain treatment of their children's needs)... and as close to East Genesee Street as you can be, for the bus line. 13214/13224 are the zip codes. Multiple bus lines run to downtown on that street so you'll find the route most convenient, for both work at the hospitals it swings by and for any appts. you have for your son. Your husband would find work in the northern suburbs... google "Liverpool Cicero North Syracuse Bridgeport trucking" for the best results.

eta: Can anyone comment on the accessibility of special needs' services on the east side of Syracuse? (The E. Genny part that is adjacent to the part of it that lies in the JD district. I'm partial to that because the bus is still a viable option for transportation, at least more so than other parts of Centro, since there are multiple lines that run down it, to pick up slack.)

Old 08-31-2014, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
I'm busy today so I can't give a detailed post, but I'd start looking in the Jamesville-Dewitt (a district that can well afford to employ special needs' staff, already does, won't protest, and is used to parents insisting on certain treatment of their children's needs)... and as close to East Genesee Street as you can be, for the bus line. 13214/13224 are the zip codes. Multiple bus lines run to downtown on that street so you'll find the route most convenient, for both work at the hospitals it swings by and for any appts. you have for your son. Your husband would find work in the northern suburbs... google "Liverpool Cicero North Syracuse Bridgeport trucking" for the best results.
Thanks that was quick, busy here myself, when you get a chance would you say the James-Dewitt is a walkable area, and is this a lower, middle income area. Not sure if where both going to be working at the same time, and where most likely going to rent for the first 2 or 3 years, before buying.

Old 08-31-2014, 01:38 PM

Default Ithaca parents/caregivers to special needs population?

I know there are a lot of people who really like Ithaca here, any thoughts, experiences on special needs accomodations in school, and in the community. Is there a lot of support, do you have to prove/fight for help. Thanks

Old 08-31-2014, 03:23 PM

93,292 posts, read 123,898,066 times
I'd also look into the East Syracuse-Minoa, which has some trucking companies on Schuyler Road and some on Northern Boulevard. Molloy Road also has some trucking companies and I've seen signs for drivers needed. There is a bus line that goes to and from the area as well. I've heard that they have some programs for special needs students too. I've heard some good things about Liverpool and Onondaga Central, as well as Ed Smith Elementary on the East Side of Syracuse. North Syracuse is alright, but you would have to stay on them a bit when when advocating for your child.

I'd also look into the SKATE program through Onondaga-Cortland-Madison BOCES: Onondaga - Cortland - Madison Counties BOCES You can live in any district too. It is based on a referral from your home school district.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 08-31-2014 at 04:01 PM..

Old 08-31-2014, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I'd also look into the East Syracuse-Minoa, which has some trucking companies on Schuyler Road and some on Northern Boulevard. Molloy Road also has some trucking companies and I've seen signs for drivers needed. There is a bus line that goes to and from the area as well. I've heard that they have some programs for special needs students too. I've heard some good things about Liverpool and Onondaga Central, as well as Ed Smith Elementary on the East Side of Syracuse. North Syracuse is alright, but you would have to stay on them a bit when when advocating for your child.

I'd also look into the SKATE program through Onondaga-Cortland-Madison BOCES: Onondaga - Cortland - Madison Counties BOCES You can live in any district too. It is based on a referral from your home school district.
Advice appreciated, I will further research the SKATE program, from reading some of your post it seems you have come to appreciate your hometown of Syracuse, do you see Syracuse going in an upward direction economically and livability wise. Would you say the people of Syracuse are friendly in general, I realize we all have to bring something to the table, after dealing with NYC for so long I desperately am looking for a place where people are for the most part are kind, decent and extend themselves when they don't have too. Thanks

Old 08-31-2014, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlumPlum View Post
Advice appreciated, I will further research the SKATE program, from reading some of your post it seems you have come to appreciate your hometown of Syracuse, do you see Syracuse going in an upward direction economically and livability wise. Would you say the people of Syracuse are friendly in general, I realize we all have to bring something to the table, after dealing with NYC for so long I desperately am looking for a place where people are for the most part are kind, decent and extend themselves when they don't have too. Thanks
I think the area in general is/will be fine in terms of livability. Parts of the city are better than others, but it isn't that different from most cities in that regard, give or take. Downtown has seen some revitalization, with more on the way.

Economically, things could be better, as some industries have seen some job losses. With that said, there are some jobs to be had for people with the appropriate skills and education, along with the ability to network. There is some investment by the state, but the results remain to be seen and there needs to be more development.

This is a pretty down to earth area in terms of the people, for the most part. There is the CNY Regional Market and plenty of smaller farmers markets in the area. There is also a co-op on the city's East Side.

Is there anything else you are looking for in a new community?

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 08-31-2014 at 05:15 PM..

Old 08-31-2014, 07:54 PM

Here are some positions I've found: Byrne Dairy » Careers

Byrne Dairy » Careers

Byrne Dairy » Careers

Current Openings

Search Job Openings | Crouse Hospital, Syracuse, New York, USA

Old 09-01-2014, 06:59 AM

Here is a list of the bus schedules: Centro Syracuse Schedules

Old 09-01-2014, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Here is a list of the bus schedules: Centro Syracuse Schedules
I will save this info, hopefully some will still be valid when it's time to move, We plan to visit for a few days and check out Syracuse. Any thoughts anyone on Ithaca in terms of making a living, and accessibility of special needs resources. We did get to drive through Ithaca and spend about 3 or 4 hours , and am very looking forward to returning for another visit to see more, . As far as community needs, I would have to say enough opportunities to make a living in different industries, a simple outlook on live, I am a big fan of the local food movement (CSA's, farmers market, Trader Joes, etc...)Optimism in a community. Any and all replies are welcome
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area