Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2008, 08:52 PM

16 posts, read 55,497 times

Advertisements

SYRACUSE VS. BUFFALO
which one is better?

Ok i'm from new orleans, LA, but we have decided to go to syracuse, new york, because I have family there and my little cousin that i basically raised just got accepted to SU and also a few other(and my fiance is generous enough to come) im going to school to be a paralegal and almost finished and my fiance is going to be a radiologist..how is the job market over there? and i was also wondering if the area was nice or not, because i havent seen many pictures really our price range for a house is anywhere from 250,000-280,000..anyways i also have heard awesome things about buffalo, ny as well....i just dunno =( lol so if i could get some help! thanks SO SO SO MUCHHHH!!

Sarah
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2008, 07:58 AM

406 posts, read 1,451,796 times
There are plenty of jobs in the medical field in Syracuse, I hear. Not sure about paralegal type stuff, but there seems to be plenty of lawer types as well. For $250,000 you can buy a great house in a nice suburb. Take a good look though out this forum, particularly for posts from Bellafinzi, plenty of great pics and feedback from all types regarding the quality of life here.

Old 03-22-2008, 11:05 AM

62 posts, read 215,842 times
Syracuse has many opportunities in the medical field. The weather is wonderful spring, summer and fall. Winters can be tough. Property taxes in NY are among the highest anywhere in the country but you'll be amazed at how much house you can buy for the price range you say you will be looking in. Syracuse didn't get caught up in the housing bubble. It was disappointing for property owners seeing people in many other parts of country making huge returns on real estate in relatively short periods. The upside now though is we are also not caught in the foreclosure mess or the declining values either. The market here has been stable for the most part and houses and property are much more affordable than most of the rest of the country. I don't know about Buffalo but suspect it to be similar to Syracuse in that respect.

Old 03-24-2008, 07:25 AM

1,671 posts, read 2,869,348 times
I have cut and paste the following links that I provided someone on this forum who is also moving to Syracuse from California (hnt1218). The only difference is I rearranged the sequence. I hope it helps.

I thought you might like a summary of Syracuse from wikipedia.org. It provides pictures, history, economy, demographics, and other links, including a number of Syracuse suburbs and recent events. Good luck with your move from California, I live in Florida and I get nostalgic for (Syracuse) Central New York many times.

Syracuse, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

CNY is getting serious about enticing people to relocate or return to CNY. Local agencies have started a successful marketing campaign to back it up, its called "CreativeCoreNY that emphasizes the transition to a knowledge based economy (see attached).

New York's Creative Core

The other web-site is essentialnyjob.com that lists of over 12,000 unfilled positions (see attached)

Central New York Jobs

There is an effort to intergrate the SU campus with downtown through a connective corridor. I believe it is in the design stages of development. If you are interested in living downtown or adjacent to the SU campus, this might be of interst to you. Here is there web-site.

Connective Corridor

To give you an idea of of the surrounding area, my family is from Clay, NY which is one of the northern suburbs of Syracuse and rapidly growing (see attached).

Clay, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There is also Cicero and Lysander to the immediate east and west Clay respectively, both rapidly growing.

Cicero, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Lysander, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Closer to the Syracuse University is the Towns of Dewitt and Manlius.

DeWitt, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Manlius (town), New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I also have relatives in Camillus which is west of the City of Syracuse. You may want to keep your eyes out for a brand new lifestyle center called Township 5 that will include, retail, office, residential, hotel, and theatres (see attached).

Camillus (town), New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cameron Group, LLC - Township 5 (http://www.cameronllc.com/PropertyDisplay.aspx?id=1018 - broken link)

You may also want to consider the Town of Onondaga, which is south/soutwest of the City and has a pop of approximately 20,000 people. There is a major community college called (appropriately) Onondaga Community College and it is growing. I understand that a major mixed use (residential/Office/retail) is about to break ground across the street from the college with approximately 250 new homes.

Onondaga, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There are a whole host of villages that surround the City that you may like as well, including Baldwinsville, Skaneatelas, Fayetteville, Liverpool, Cazenovia and North Syracuse that are worth looking into.

Baldwinsville, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Skaneateles (village), New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Fayetteville, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Liverpool, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (Liverpool is in the Town of Clay)

Cazenovia (village), New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

North Syracuse, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (Village is split between Town's of Cicero and Clay)

I live in Florida, but as a planner I am very excited about the transition in the Central New York economy from a rust belt community dependent on heavy manufacturing to a knowledge based economy focused on research, development, aerospace, academics, medical and most importantly environmental technology, i.e. the Center of Excellence (under construction) downtown near SU. You may also hear about destiny usa, a commercial mixed-use shopping/entertainment/research develoment that has been heavily debated over the years.

Syracuse Center of Excellence - Syracuse Center of Excellence

Destiny USA

You really need to check out Armory Square, Hanover Square, Franklin Square, Marshall Square, Westcott, and Eastwood for urban living and entertainment...

Armory Square - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hanover Square, Syracuse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Franklin Square, Syracuse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Marshall Street - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Westcott, Syracuse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Eastwood, Syracuse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There is even a Little Italy and a Tipporary Hill...

Little Italy, Syracuse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tipperary Hill - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Well, that should get you started. Remember, the wikipeida's do not do many of the areas justice. Good luck on your move and future plans.

Old 03-24-2008, 08:42 AM

1,671 posts, read 2,869,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinman View Post
Syracuse has many opportunities in the medical field. The weather is wonderful spring, summer and fall. Winters can be tough. Property taxes in NY are among the highest anywhere in the country but you'll be amazed at how much house you can buy for the price range you say you will be looking in. Syracuse didn't get caught up in the housing bubble. It was disappointing for property owners seeing people in many other parts of country making huge returns on real estate in relatively short periods. The upside now though is we are also not caught in the foreclosure mess or the declining values either. The market here has been stable for the most part and houses and property are much more affordable than most of the rest of the country. I don't know about Buffalo but suspect it to be similar to Syracuse in that respect.
Here is a great article that shows that Syracuse housing market is actually appreciating and sales were up in December 2007 compared to 2006 (compared to a 22 percent decline nationwide). The Syracuse market is actually among four strong housing markets in the country, San Antonio, Tx, Sarasota, Fl and Springfield, Il. I think that luvme504 will do fine, esp. if his price range is $250,000 or above. I live in Florida and the housing market is a MESS!! (and getting worse)

Old 03-25-2008, 09:04 AM

97 posts, read 417,074 times
In Syracuse $250,000 will buy you a really nice house in a suburb, as said before. SUNY Upstate is where a friend of ours studied radiology. If you're looking to be close to Syracuse University and live in a nice neighborhood, try the Westcott Neighborhood or the University Neighborhood.

Syracuse vs. Buffalo, Syracuse, hands down. Buffalo is a much larger metro area, so there are more job opportunities, but it's also 2.5 hours from Syracuse, everything is father apart, and the weather is more grey.

Most people on a doctor's salary usually choose to live in the suburbs where the houses are more expensive, and the public schools better. Manlius, for example, that's where our radiologist friends live. Manlius, Fayetteville, Camillus are all 15-20 minutes from the city by car.

That said, I love the University area, and if you're the kind of person who likes to know your neighbors and walk or bike instead of drive to work, I'd look into that neighborhood. It's a big mix of students closer to campus and professors, families, and grad students further from campus, a mix that you won't find anywhere else in the area.

If you search for my other posts you'll find more information about the general University area. One of these days I'll get around to taking photos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area