Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 07:54 AM

7 posts, read 37,127 times

Advertisements

We are looking to move to Syracuse and were shown a home in Geddes. Does anyone know anything about the area? Are there two high school districts? We were told we were in the West Genesse district. What does that mean?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2006, 07:57 AM

Ooops. I forgot to say that the Real Estate agent said he was going to show us a home in Camillus [13031] but instead we found the house was in the 13219 Geddes district. What's wrong with Geddes that it can't stand on it's own?

Old 06-16-2006, 08:42 AM

32 posts, read 141,262 times
What you have to understand is that SYracuse is a MAJOR city with many "bedroom communities" under it's general are umbrella.

In this case Geddes is a area of the city Syracuse which is in the county of Onondoga.

It's like the area is Syracuse, with various desingations --i.e. North Syracuse, Clay, Cicero, Camillus, Westvale ........ they all have their own zip codes but are listed in the city of Syracuse area.

Here is a link showing the various zip codes (including 13219) which fall under the Syracuse "umbrella."

http://zipcodes.addresses.com/zip_co...city/5158.html

Old 06-17-2006, 05:03 AM

Thank you very much. I called the tax office and found out that although the zip code is in Geddes, the taxes are paid in Camillus, so the house address is Camillus. It's so hard to figure out! I suppose it doesn't matter as long as the house is in the better school district, irrespective of address or zip. But, it's so confusing!

I am so discouraged because all the homes we wanted, were sold before we looked at them. Has anyone a tip on how to shop for a home? We want to buy a home, modestly priced. 2 bedrooms one bath. The homes that we have looked at often have 3 bedrooms, one bath. One bedroom on the first flloor with afull bath; and upstairs two more bedrooms . Why were these homes built like that? I would think it awkward to have a shower downstairs and then have to walk upstairs with a towel to get dressed and then come back down to leave. I would rather a home with the bathroom upstairs, but we haven't seen any.

Can anyone explain why homes there have the masterbath and master bedroom downstairs and two bedroom upstairs without bath or toilet facilities?

We are excited to move into the area, but there is so much we don't know. Any assistance you can give would be wonderful.

Old 06-17-2006, 08:22 AM

161 posts, read 1,049,544 times
Goldy, I know there is a whole section in Camillus of new homes built on smaller lots and they are smaller homes. I think the style you have described has the retired in mind. A ground level master bedroom and bath works well for those who have difficulty with stairs(or may have in the future). The two bedrooms up are for guest rooms or offices. That's what I I make out of it. Glen

Old 08-15-2006, 07:26 PM

59 posts, read 325,346 times
About West Genesee HS, I know people that had gone to school in this system. He mentioned it being a good school with a very competitive attitude among the students/teachers alike. They do offer a variety of programs as well.

The other district you may be talking about is the Solvay Unified School District. I do not know anything about this district as it is much smaller.

Old 02-11-2007, 11:50 AM

3,514 posts, read 9,429,882 times
The West Genesee school district is better than the Solvay school district. Most of Geddes is in the Solvay school district. The population of Geddes is about 17,000. You don't hear much about Geddes because it mostly built out(not much land left to for new construction), Solvay isn't the greatest area (a lot of industrial areas, including the State Fair Grounds) and most of the neighborhoods seem like an extension of the city.

Old 02-12-2007, 08:14 AM

302 posts, read 1,049,789 times
Goldy,

I know this area like the back of my hand. I was born and raised in Geddes (Westvale), and have many friends/contacts throughout the areas mentioned. If you have any questions about an area, street, school, public services, shopping or anything else, I would be happy to help you out.

Ask here or pm me. As for no baths upstairs and only bed rooms.....???? I never seen that before. Maybe it was an attic converted into living space? Even cape type houses have baths upstairs.

Any how I'm here to help you.

Old 02-18-2007, 04:44 AM

27 posts, read 177,674 times
Smile Moving to West Syracuse Suburbs

The West Genesee School District has a good reputation both education wise and extra school activities such as a nationally competitive band, sports and such. I went to school there myself and it was a positive experiance FWIW.
As far as the housing, many of the "older houses" were built with the future in mind. Folks came and bought with the down the road years in mind as the children grew up and went out on their own. It gave "privacy" to both children and parents (especially as children reached that teenager years range) yet offered a excellent compact if you will home and maximum large yards. That was at least some of the mentality that went behind some of the older homes they offer. Now days, with more people having fewer children and being more into "work in the home" for one of the spouses the extra bedroom upstairs offers a good possibility for a at home office OR a study area like room for those moments when one might find the need or desire for a quieter place within the home...usable by all but not as "busy" at times as the living and dining room areas where tghe family generally tends to congregate for shared family times.

Old 07-07-2008, 04:53 PM

93,401 posts, read 124,052,832 times
Default Actually......

the other district is very good and is Westhill School District. I think a sliver of 13219 goes to Solvay, but most of the ZIP goes to Westhill schools. It's a smaller district that is very good academically and has great sports teams too. Westhill school district by the way are WESTvale and Onondaga HILL. Hence the name of the district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area