Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Subaru
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 05:43 PM

1,442 posts, read 6,497,821 times

Advertisements

Hi. This is my first post on the Automotive Forum.

I plan to buy a new car. I want an AWD sedan (or Hatchback). I don't want an SUV.

That basically limits me to a Subaru, a very popular car here in Vermont.

I need to decide whether to get an Impreza (the regular Impreza, not the WRX) or a Legacy.

Both "compete for the same parking space", according to one website, and both are roughly comparable in price.

I have read that a Legacy gives more for the money, more bang for the buck, and more available features. Also, the Legacy is a better-looking car. I have also read that insurance rates are lower for the Legacy than they are for the Impreza (I can verify that by calling my insurance company). The reason the insurance rates are higher for the Impreza, I have read, is because of the higher horsepower. But because of the greater power, I think, the Impreza corners better than the Legacy. Handling is important to me. So is driving fun.

I have read reviews on various websites. Some reviews for the 2009 cars are not yet available, though. From the reviews, I usually think the Legacy is a better choice for me, but then I read something that leans me towards the Impreza.

Of course, I need to go to the dealership and test drive both. How they "feel" will probably be the clincher.

That said, can anyone with knowledge and/or experience offer some insights, comments, warnings, advice, etc.?

What about other cars?

An acquaintance recommended the Toyota Rav 4, but I don't need or want an SUV. The Subaru Forester has also been recommended to me, but, again, I don't think I want an SUV, even a small one. One reason I want a sedan, and a Subaru in particular, is because of the lower center of gravity. Also, an SUV, like a station wagon, looks different when loaded with cargo than it does when unloaded. A sedan, because of its trunk, looks the same whether it is loaded or unloaded, so there is much less risk of break in. Of course, a seriously loaded trunk will weigh down the back of the car, which will give away its loaded status. And also, a sedan has less cargo room than a station wagon or an SUV.

I have also been thinking of a Honda Civic, Honda Civic Hybrid and the Toyota Prius. But they are not AWD. Some people maintain that one needs AWD in Vermont, but others say that FWD is sufficient. I once had a Subaru with 4WD (on demand) and it made a big difference in my confidence in the snow. How much of this was due to actual greater control and how much to the perception of greater control I can't say for sure, but I do remember feeling a lot more sure-footed driving in the snow with the 4WD on. And this was in Brooklyn, NY, not Vermont.

I have pets. Because the nearest veterinary emergency facility is about 30 miles away, on the interstate, I need to be able to make the trip in any driving conditions, and under emotional stress. I had to do it a couple of weeks ago. Thankfully, the weather was good. But the road was very dark and there was always the danger of colliding with a deer. So, I really need all the bells and whistles I can get in terms of road safety, e.g. AWD (or 4WD), traction control, good handling and braking, etc. Subarus are loaded with such safety features. Unfortunately, though, it gets inferior gas mileage, which is a trade-off you have to make for the AWD.

Any comments are appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited by arel; 11-29-2008 at 06:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2008, 05:59 PM

1,763 posts, read 7,332,123 times
the Legacy is just more creature comforts and refined ride

I owned a WRX (Impreza) and now wish I never sold it. It was the first model year to come to the states and had the bug-eye headlights. Anyway, I drove in heavy rain and snow with no issues. I never had a mechanical problem with hit, and I even raced auto cross for fun.

That being said, the Outback is a great car if you need more room. The Legacy is great if you like the look and feel. The Impreza is great for the money. ALL of them can be had with the turbo as well, if you like a little kick with your commute -- you just have to be careful when getting heavy into the boost on really slippery surfaces.

Read up on the forums at NASIOC (google it.)

Old 11-29-2008, 06:55 PM

1,112 posts, read 3,997,265 times
The Non-WRX Impreza's are aimed more toward the economy market, and is very good, solid transportation.

The Legacy is aiming for the Midsize sedan market, and is therefore, in my opinion, more comfortable.

Check out the Suzuki SX4.

Old 11-29-2008, 07:18 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,623,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyW View Post
The Non-WRX Impreza's are aimed more toward the economy market, and is very good, solid transportation.

The Legacy is aiming for the Midsize sedan market, and is therefore, in my opinion, more comfortable.

Check out the Suzuki SX4.

I agree with the Suzuki SX4 recommendation. They are very nice and very comfortable. Consumer Reports also shows them to be highly reliable and they are priced beyond belief!

Old 11-29-2008, 10:28 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,515,251 times
You should also consider the AWD versions of the Mazda6, Ford Fusion, Chrysler Sebring, Dodge Avenger, and several other cars. Of the two you listed I'd choose the Legacy. It's stylish, beautiful, and comfortable. However, you should look into the cost of maintenance and repair for the box engine. I've never had one but I'd have to ask how many shops are capable of repairing such an engine.

Old 11-29-2008, 10:30 PM

If you can afford it, you should also look into the AWD Saab 9-3.

Old 11-29-2008, 10:54 PM

9,399 posts, read 11,147,212 times
The SX4 sedan and hatch are good vehicles from what I've seen and read. The rear seat doesn't fold down in the sedan. Suzuki has a longer than average warranty.

I don't know much of anything about soobies so I'm no help in that department.

If looking at strictly FWD sedans, I'd also consider the Hyundai Elantra SE, which has stability control among other bells and whistles. The 5/60 bumper-to-bumper warranty and 10/100,000 powertrain warranty are hard to beat.
I'd replace the stock tires with 205.55.16 Dunlop SP60s, which I've found to be excellent in snow and ice, and fine in normal dry or wet conditions.
If you can't get to your destination with this combination, the weather is probably too bad to be driving around in.

Old 11-29-2008, 10:58 PM

If you do a search on edmonds.com or fueleconomy.gov you'll find that there are a great many AWD sedans including Audi, BMW, Ford, Mercury, Lincoln, Mazda, Chrysler, Dodge, Suzuki, VW, Volvo, and Saab in addition to Suburu. The Suzuki would be the most affordable of the bunch. Safety wise, I'd trust the Volvo and Saab over all the others. The Lincoln MKS and it's brothers the Taurus and Sable are based on Volvo technology so that makes them safe in crash but I can't vouch for their engine since I believe they are Ford.

Old 11-29-2008, 11:00 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,214,050 times
I would go for the Legacy.

My favorite Subarus are "old schools". Thw 1992-93 Legacy sedan and the 1981-1985 Subaru GL sedans and wagons.

Back in 1990, my uncle had a 1981 Subaru GL hatchback and I loved to drive that little car!

Still see a few around from time to time.

Old 11-30-2008, 01:08 AM

1,442 posts, read 6,497,821 times
I think that's the Subaru I used to own. A little white hatchback, with on-demand 4WD. I loved that little car. Then, after driving my mother's big Buick, the Subaru felt like a tin can.

The Saab's review on Edmunds is impressive, but the cost is more than I want to spend. I can get a good Subaru for a little more than half the cost. Also, the nearest Saab dealership is about a half-hour away. There is a Subaru dealership in town, and about 4 others within an hour away.

I have a friend who owns a Saab, I think a FWD one, and she seems happy with it. It's great with cargo, as the rear seats fold down. It's a hatchback, and she was able to transport a mattress and a box spring (twin size) in it.

I think I'm prejudiced against the Hyundai. I know it has improved to a respectable level, but I keep thinking of it as an low quality car. I think I also have some prejudice against Suzuki. For me, top tier Japanese cars are Toyota and Honda. Then there are Nissans and Mazdas. Then there are brands like Suzuki and Isuzu. Subaru is in a class of its own because of the AWD niche.

But thanks, all of you, for your wise counsel and for taking the time to respond to my post. I have gotten ideas about cars I would never have thought about, and I will read up on them.

Keep writing!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Subaru