Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Subaru
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 03:14 AM

1,558 posts, read 3,855,402 times

Advertisements

So, I'm going to buy (well, I'm pretty certain I'm going to buy) a Subaru Impreza in the next month or two. I have to do some more research and I certainly have to test drive the vehicle (which I plan to do next weekend). In looking at some of the various dealer's inventories online, I haven't been able to find a car that I'm looking for that has what I want. But - I also don't know exactly what I want so I'm making a list. At first I thought I could get away with the basic model of Impreza....but I really want the all weather package (this car will eventually have a home in extreme northern Vermont)....I really want fog lights (I really don't want the hassle of installing them afterwards)...and I must have cruise control (as I make long drives north and that is simply a must)...intermittent windshield wipers - gotta have them....have had a car for 7 years where I only have two speeds and it drives me absolutely bonkers when I use them.

So - my dilemma....it seems that you have to get a package to get these and at first glance, it seemed that the intermittent wipers only came with the sport package (which I don't really need). Also - satellite ready radio? Doesn't appear to have that option unless you get the sport package as well so it looks like I'll have to be installing that myself.

Those of you who are Impreza owners out there - what do you like on your car, what package did you get (not that there are a lot of options out there....). Any advice?

Thanks very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2014, 05:18 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,493,841 times
Just splurge and get a WRX. You won't be disappointed. If I was looking at a base Impreza I'd probably just get a Crosstrek and call it a day.

Old 01-10-2014, 05:23 AM

I don't have the budget for a WRX and I have never driven a manual...I know, I know. No one would ever let me 'try' on their vehicles. I had an HD motorcycle for several years though . But, in the end I prefer a car, not an SUV. I know the Crosstrek is kind of in between - but I am a car person through and through. I like sitting lower rather than higher.

Old 01-10-2014, 06:03 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,236,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vermonter16 View Post
I don't have the budget for a WRX and I have never driven a manual...I know, I know. No one would ever let me 'try' on their vehicles. I had an HD motorcycle for several years though . But, in the end I prefer a car, not an SUV. I know the Crosstrek is kind of in between - but I am a car person through and through. I like sitting lower rather than higher.
The newer WRX's are available with a CVT auto.

Old 01-10-2014, 06:09 AM

Thanks. I just took a look at the website...a WRX still runs out of my budget after adding the options.

Old 01-10-2014, 07:52 AM

2,310 posts, read 6,822,200 times
An Impreza will be my next car as well... although I'm not in a hurry to buy right now.

I was considering the Premium version which allows adding the All Weather package, I think. But if you splurge for the Crosstrek, that would be included without extra add-on. I know you mentioned you like cars... me too at first but the Crosstrek is only like 2000 more than an equivalent Impreza and I think getting used to sitting high is not that difficult.

I also now started thinking about the Limited... even though I don't care about the leather package, the backup camera is nice to have.

Old 01-10-2014, 07:57 AM

Thanks mmyk72. I am fine driving a taller vehicle, my husband has a Tacoma that I drive and it's all good, I just don't prefer it. I really, really like being at car level. Even when I was a kid, my dad (who used to be a car salesman) would take me to the lot and tell me to pick out any car I wanted....I'd always pick the smallest one. I drive a 2006 Corolla right now and would have gotten the Yaris or the Accent if they had been out and the price reasonable at the time.

I will test drive the crosstrek just in case....but that Impreza is soooo me. I wish they still made Outbacks the way they used to.

Last edited by vermonter16; 01-10-2014 at 08:08 AM..

Old 01-10-2014, 08:26 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,493,841 times
Just know the Crosstrek will not win any awards in speed, but I love the looks of it.

Old 01-10-2014, 08:38 AM

Hey, I turn my a/c off when I'm merging onto the interstate to get more power with my corolla, lol.

Old 01-10-2014, 09:56 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,675,136 times
Did you check out the Legacy? Once you add up all the packages required to add those options to the Impreza, it will probably be very close to the Legacy. I looked up the MSRP and true market price of a Legacy equipped with the features you want (except the satellite radio adapter) and it comes out to $22,540.

There's also the Forester, but you have to buy the Premium model to get the all weather package, so the price would likely be a bit more than the Legacy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Subaru