Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Subaru
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 04:09 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,337,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Driving the 2012 Subaru Impreza reminds us why Fuji Heavy Industries didn't put us in charge of this important redesign. We would have shrunk this car back it to its 2002-2006 proportions, discontinued the sedan, ordered up a turbocharger even for the sub-WRX models, and blown the rest of the budget trying to make the Impreza handle like a streetable rally car.
Inside Line

The new 2012 Subaru Impreza is about to hit showrooms (due to be released in November) and there's no denying the redesign is extensive. Not a panel has been left untouched and the car bears far more of a resemblance with it's bigger brother in it's new form, with styling cues lifted directly off the Legacy, easily seen in the headlights, grill and wheel arches.

It's the first ever AWD vehicle in the US to ever receive a mixed MPG rating of 30, so the new 2.0L, 150 hp engine clearly delivers as far as frugality goes. The engine, which has shrunk 0.5L in displacement over it's predecessor, delivers 20 less ponies, but the car weighs less, so it should perform well, tests indicate it's slightly faster.

Reviews, at least the ones I've seen all seem to be positive about this new model, and Subaru does indeed need for this to sell, though the previous model outsold it's predecessors, it failed to entice the masses in the way Subaru (FHI) were hoping, largely because of it's looks and it's poor MPG ratings (according to Fuji Heavy Industries). It appears they've successfully addressed these points with this car, judging by the reviews, but what do you guys think?

Personally I'm not sold on the looks yet, maybe particularly the rear clusters on the hatchback model, but I won't disagree that it's a far better looking vehicle than the current model, if only they've done something about those seats... And it really does deserve a 6 speed manual at this point, even my 06 Impreza feels hindered by the lack of another set of cogs.

Road & Track review

Road & Track picture gallery

Inside Line picture gallery
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2011, 04:14 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
I have to say, they really nailed the redesign. This is the first Impreza since the 2001 model year that genuinely looks nice without being controversial, as opposed to the love-or-hate-it quirky styling that characterized the 4 previous designs.

Old 10-20-2011, 05:34 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,463,282 times
Subaru will have a hit with this car--fuel economy is going to be king from now on and a 30+ mpg AWD will be a big seller. What is really unfortunate, though, is that Subaru will not bring its diesel boxer engine to the US that Subaru sells overseas. It supposedly gets 40 mpg highway in the Forester and nearly that much in the Outback (currently available only with the manual tranny, though). A Subaru that would be just way cool, in my opinion: An Outback sedan (with all of the good ground clearance and moderate backroad capability of the Outback wagon, but in the sedan configuration) with that Boxer diesel engine and a CVT tranny.

Old 10-20-2011, 06:16 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,887,176 times
^^^
I agree that Subaru should import its sweet turbo diesel engine, there is definitely a pent-up demand for it here and it's a easy to fit to all its lines (Tribeca excluded).

I think they have hit a sweet spot with this redesign- definitely more mainstream but still maintains a little bit of that needed Subaru funkiness that us Subaru fans appreciate, it certainly does project strong familial lines of the other models. There is not at all a universal love for this design from the Subaru family though, there is a little awkward, tall Kia Rondo profile in there. It's not as good looking and bold as some of its competitors from Hyundai/Kia but not as ugly as the previous non WRX model. I agree the trapezoidal design language of the grill and other elements gets a little heavy at the rear of the hatchback with the protruding Dodge Caliberesque taillight housings, but it's not offensive.

The engineering and packaging are the best elements of the redesign- lighter, bigger inside with an upscale interior, a smaller and far more efficient engine that is nonetheless more responsive and a CVT that doesn't immediately evoke hatred to those who experience it hehe, also a bit better handling and the excellent AWD system that most of its competitors lack. I wonder it its worth the investment for the six-speed since so few manuals are sold in this country but it increasingly is the standard these days for the other marques.

It seems that the WRX/STI is now going to branch off to its own separate performance heavy platform and bolder looks which suits me just fine.

Old 10-20-2011, 06:44 PM

They've made the decision to make the WRX and STi a separate model, yes, and they're talking about putting a 1.6L engine in it.

The boxer diesel is indeed a sweet engine, I have plenty of friends who own or lease one, and they all think it complements the vehicle (Impreza) perfectly, very strong too and very planted.

One reason they might not bring it over (in addition to the pollution restrictions) could be that they currently don't have a CVT or automatic that can handle the torque from it.

Old 10-20-2011, 06:46 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
I have serious doubts about a WRX with a 1.6L engine. Back down to 2.0 I can see, with the use of direct injection. 1.6... there's only so much you can do with that little displacement while still having a practical, streetable car.

The expense and difficulty of producing a diesel engine that will meet new U.S. emissions standards has been discussed at length in these forums.

Old 10-21-2011, 12:53 AM

16,507 posts, read 26,285,643 times
The current model wagon looks better to me. This wagon is hideous from the pictures.

Old 10-21-2011, 11:29 AM

1,478 posts, read 5,082,292 times
It looks okay. I'll have to wait until I see one in person. They seem to have gone the opposite direction as the previous model. The styling looks too busy. They are a lot of grooves and countour lines, and I'm not sure how I feel about the bulging wheel wells. It's like someone wanted bulges but someone else tempered the wheel wells down to that flattened bulge look. There's so much going on, it looks like it was designed by a committee.

I like hatch-backs and if I had to deal with snow, this would be on my list of contenders, I suppose. I would have a hard time settling on one without some letters, like WRX or even STI on it. These get a 6-speed manual option. I drive a Mazda 3 now and I often get turbo envy and wish for the Mazdaspeed 3.

Old 10-21-2011, 11:33 AM

1,478 posts, read 5,082,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
^^^
I agree that Subaru should import its sweet turbo diesel engine, there is definitely a pent-up demand for it here and it's a easy to fit to all its lines (Tribeca excluded).
They might as well. From the reviews I've read, it seems like they already import the clunky manual gear boxes that are meant to handle diesel torque. They should either bring the diesel, or the smooth shifting 6-cog in the STI needs to make its way down the product line.

Old 10-21-2011, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
The current model wagon looks better to me. This wagon is hideous from the pictures.
Subaru hasn't made an Impreza wagon since 06-07, I'm guessing you're talking about the hatchback?

I personally abhor the look of the current gen Impreza, both hatchback and sedan, except for the WRX (2010+) and the STi (2008+), I find them incredibly bland and boring, where they were previously a lot more fun looking (though heavily debated amongst some).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I have serious doubts about a WRX with a 1.6L engine. Back down to 2.0 I can see, with the use of direct injection. 1.6... there's only so much you can do with that little displacement while still having a practical, streetable car.

The expense and difficulty of producing a diesel engine that will meet new U.S. emissions standards has been discussed at length in these forums.
Well, VW already has a 1.4L Turbo pushing 170ps, Alfa Romeo also has some high powered, low displacement engines in their line-p now, so it certainly can be done.

But my comment is not pulled out of thin air, it comes from sources inside Subaru.

Quote:
On the short list for the WRX’s powerplant is a turbocharged 1.6-liter boxer pumping as much as 270 hp, and a twin-charger system involving a supercharger is being tested as well. The car’s body is rumored to be a little bigger than a Toyota Yaris, while its tread width is said to expand significantly. As for the STI, we are told that the flagship will also employ the WRX’s 1.6-liter boxer turbo, but that the engine will be reworked to generate upwards of 300 hp for motorsport competitiveness.
Motor Trend

I would assume that the reason for the change would be to maintain eligibility in various European and international motorsport events. (Such as a return to WRC)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Subaru