Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Subaru
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 07:04 AM

691 posts, read 1,149,769 times

Advertisements

I recently got into a pretty major accident, and my car wound up being a total loss. My insurance co (Amica) was quite easy to deal with, and I wound up with a very fair settlement.

I've always driven small cars, and have no desire to go beyond a compact. However, I'd like all-wheel-drive for improved safety. So that leaves the Impreza as the only mix of the two.

I see tons of Subaru's on the roads around here--primarily Forresters and Outbacks. I'm well aware of their reputation for reliability and safety. Was wondering if any actual owners of the Impreza could speak to it's in-practice fuel economy. I know the new models are supposed to get in the neighborhood of 25 city/35 expressway, but have found that MPG claims on previous cars have been off significantly. Any other comments you may have on the Impreza would be appreciated.

Also, any recommendations for local (Hartford metro) dealerships? I've been to Suburban Subaru in Vernon thus far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2013, 07:12 AM

21,615 posts, read 31,180,666 times
You should post this in the Automotive forum.

Old 01-09-2013, 07:27 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,416,528 times
I agree with posting this on the automotive forum but as for bringing it back to the local board...I am on my second Subaru. I bought it at Quality Subaru in Wallingford. They gave me a surprisingly good trade in amount, other than that they are the typical dealership where you have to play the game, same as any, no better no worse.

I have had OK luck with service at Suburban in Vernon and very good luck with service at Bertera Subaru in Hartford (in the Meadows area). Were I to buy another, I'd probably start at Bertera since I like their service department.

Edited to add, I have an Outback, no Impreza experience, but as big as the Outback is these days, I get a city/hwy average of 30 MPG with the CVT.

Old 01-09-2013, 07:57 AM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
I'm going to move this thread as you'll get much better insight from the Automotive forum, but I'll say they're great cars.

The gas mileage has improved a lot. ANY AWD car will get worse gas mileage than its 2WD counterpart. It's just physics. But it's definitely a better proposition than it used to be.

Harte Subaru is another you could try. I know it's far, but my friend has had good luck at Dan Perkins Subaru.

Old 01-09-2013, 08:33 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
Default Impreza/legacy

I drive a 17 year old Legacy Wagon with just short of 200k miles. It has required some major repairs and several set of tires since we bought it from a friend. Over all our experience has been very positive and we will be buying another Subie when the rust gets this one.

This car, with four good snow tires, is the best driving winter car I have ever owned. It will go nearly anywhere and is great fun on packed snow/soft ice.

We would buy an Impreza but I don't fit into one. Look for an older WRX with a good repair records if you want a really fun car for decent money.

Old 01-09-2013, 09:49 AM

856 posts, read 2,014,357 times
I didn't enjoy my sales experience at Suburban, some have reported getting a good deal but their attitude made me never want to have to deal with them if I had an issue.

I recently bought a Subaru BRZ and while its my first Subaru I'm very finicky when it comes to car quality. It's extremely well built and my dealer (center Subaru, Torrington) was a pleasure to buy from and they're great with service. My car is a platform shared with Toyota (so some will say its not a valid review) however I tested and was almost certain to buy a Legacy and I felt just as happy with it. I recently gave the same review to a friend and she purchased a new Impreza. Last snow storm gave her no trouble and she's thanked me multiple times to saving her from the Kia she almost purchased.

Old 01-09-2013, 10:05 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,028,088 times
The last time it snowed heavy here in NY, I saw 2 little punks in separate incidents who rear ended people in their tricked out WRX's.

Some people feel emboldened by all wheel drive. No matter how many wheels are spinning, you will still slide on ice if you drive too fast and brake hard. I swear half the people I see on the road with 4 wheel drive actually drive FASTER when it snows to try to prove some ridiculous point.

Old 01-09-2013, 10:28 AM

3,004 posts, read 6,271,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
The last time it snowed heavy here in NY, I saw 2 little punks in separate incidents who rear ended people in their tricked out WRX's.

Some people feel emboldened by all wheel drive. No matter how many wheels are spinning, you will still slide on ice if you drive too fast and brake hard. I swear half the people I see on the road with 4 wheel drive actually drive FASTER when it snows to try to prove some ridiculous point.
Yeah mechanical AWD (like on a Subaru) is really only helps with a loss of initial traction, or in other words from a stop or at slow speeds. If you're driving in the rain, ice or snow and are going faster than the conditions allow, then nothing will save you.

I currently have a WRX and it's horrible on fuel, but it's also pretty quick.

The new Impreza's are nice too if you need AWD. They get WAY better mileage due to their new engines.

However, most new cars AWD or not are decent in the snow and are equipped with things like VDC (vehicle dynamics control and) TC (traction control).

Old 01-09-2013, 12:38 PM

1,030 posts, read 4,275,307 times
I do like Subies, But most models seem so low to the ground I feel like that takes away from the AWD. Ive also read that driving an AWD/4WD car isnt any safer than driving a FWD car...Just because some people think they can never lose traction.. I always said to myself that you should never trust your cars abilities/brakes on the city streets. Its sounds really silly but people think because they have good brakes that they will always stop on a dime no matter what. It also doesnt help when you have all season tires. thats the biggest marketing gimmick I ever seen.

But as it was stated before, technology only gets better.

Are you dead set on buying a Subaru again? what other makes have you considered?

Old 01-09-2013, 12:52 PM

1,344 posts, read 4,762,892 times
Just bought a new Impreza. Highest fuel economy (going by the onboard gauge...) is 34/35 mpg on the highway at about 65mph. 32/33mpg at 70-75mph.

Lowest average is about 28/29mpg with fairly aggresive local driving (stop and go, parking lots, etc), but that averages in some highway driving. I bet the 25mpg number on the sticker is right.

I might get slightly better numbers once the engine is fully broken in (first new car for me...), and if you drive very conservatively (55mph, cruise control, no excess weight), you could do even better.

I drive the hatchback. Not sure if that adds any weight compared to the sedan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Subaru