Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Subaru
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 01:33 PM

1,123 posts, read 3,121,848 times

Advertisements

Imprezas are great cars and handle very well. But the interior is very small. I ended up growing out of it and when I looked for a mid-sized car, the Legacy just didn't appeal to me as much as Accord, Fusion, etc.

The best part about a Subaru is that you can beat the hell out of it to 200k miles and still have people lining up your front door to buy it off you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 11:39 PM

4,855 posts, read 5,854,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Please note that AWD is far more a convenience feature than a safety feature. Yes, there is a safety element to a well-designed AWD system in that it can slightly increase the threshold of traction loss in limited-traction driving situations and can make it easier to recover from a relatively minor loss in traction. But there is no substitute for a competent driver. A competent driver can maximize the advantages of AWD, but AWD will not magically turn an incompetent driver into a safer one.

I've had several AWD cars including my current car (and including an Impreza several years ago); and I hope to never be without AWD again for as long as I live in the Snow Belt. But I drive my car knowing that the increased margin of safety AWD brings is indeed a small one -- smaller than many AWD-equipped car/SUV owners realize, I daresay. For me it's much more a matter of being able to get in and out of my driveway or street-parking spot without having to shovel for half an hour, or being able to get a gallon of milk after an 8" snowfall without worrying if I'll get stuck along the way.
You must not know how fuji heavy industries builds their cars. The jaws of life cant cut through a impreza a/b/c pilar. Its built like its got an integral roll cage. I wish i could find the website.

Old 01-18-2013, 12:07 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,453,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
You must not know how fuji heavy industries builds their cars. The jaws of life cant cut through a impreza a/b/c pilar. Its built like its got an integral roll cage. I wish i could find the website.
Even if your claim is true, I'm not sure what this has to do with anything in the post you're quoting.

Old 01-18-2013, 01:45 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,979,356 times
Ive owned two imprezas('00 2.5RS and currently a 03 WRX Wagon) and they have been basically bulletproof. However, I am meticulous on maintenance. Overall though, these two cars have turned me into a diehard loyal Subi fan.

Old 01-18-2013, 01:58 PM

1,479 posts, read 2,727,110 times
I too am thinking about a Subaru, specifically the Outback Wagon. I've heard that the head gasket goes bad after only 100k miles or so and that it's a really really expensive repair. Can anyone confirm this??

Old 01-18-2013, 02:50 PM

1,123 posts, read 3,121,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottay View Post
I too am thinking about a Subaru, specifically the Outback Wagon. I've heard that the head gasket goes bad after only 100k miles or so and that it's a really really expensive repair. Can anyone confirm this??
A blown headgasket isn't usually 'repairable' because by the time you find out, your engine is completely destroyed.

But I've never heard of this happening randomly. It probably has to do with cheap-ass Outback owners not changing their oil regularly.

Old 01-18-2013, 05:12 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,453,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottay View Post
Head gasket issues were corrected a decade ago. If you're looking at a new or late-model Subaru, don't worry about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_reino View Post
A blown headgasket isn't usually 'repairable' because by the time you find out, your engine is completely destroyed.

But I've never heard of this happening randomly. It probably has to do with cheap-ass Outback owners not changing their oil regularly.
Nonsense. There is plenty of warning of a blown head gasket before the engine blows up. What's more, while not changing the oil can cause serious problems including eventual engine failure, head gasket failure is not caused by not changing the oil.

Old 01-19-2013, 11:53 AM

3,135 posts, read 11,928,620 times
If Subbie puts the new 2.0T in the Legacy or Outback, I'm trading in my 2012 Sonata 2.0T for one. I miss AWD.

I like how the new Forester has available HID headlights. Now they just need to add push button start to their cars and they will be in the 21st century. Bluetooth is standard as of 2011 on Legacy and higher I believe. I wish XM was standard and not an add on.

Old 01-19-2013, 12:53 PM

1,618 posts, read 2,634,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post
If Subbie puts the new 2.0T in the Legacy or Outback, I'm trading in my 2012 Sonata 2.0T for one. I miss AWD.

I like how the new Forester has available HID headlights. Now they just need to add push button start to their cars and they will be in the 21st century. Bluetooth is standard as of 2011 on Legacy and higher I believe. I wish XM was standard and not an add on.
Unfortunately, the HID headlights are only available on the $30k+ models. As part of a $2400 option package.

Subaru does have a problem with a lack of logic on their option packaging sometimes.

Old 01-19-2013, 06:11 PM

20,326 posts, read 37,343,317 times
I had a 2009 Forester that I liked very much, but I was never at easy about Subaru solving the head-gasket problem by a redesign of the HG. But since it had a warranty at least I knew that the motor was covered. What I did was to buy an extended warranty directly from the Subaru headquarters in NJ. I must say that Subaru are quite good at honoring the warranty, and the extension was quite cheap compared to one I could buy from the dealer. If I well remember, it was something like $800.00 for a 5 years 100,000-mile warranty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Subaru